Jump to topic:

Illiteracy and High School Students

PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2009 6:58:50 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
I don't know. But I suspect she knows how to write properly. She is just used to another dialect of English. For her, writing on the Internet makes her default to this other dialect.

I consider myself literate. Yet, when I am IMing certain friends of mine, I too default to this Internet dialect. It's not because I'm stupid. It's just that that's how teenagers talk on the Internet. Lol. :D
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2009 9:20:21 AM
At 10/28/2009 6:58:50 AM, PoeJoe wrote:
I don't know. But I suspect she knows how to write properly. She is just used to another dialect of English. For her, writing on the Internet makes her default to this other dialect.

I consider myself literate. Yet, when I am IMing certain friends of mine, I too default to this Internet dialect. It's not because I'm stupid. It's just that that's how teenagers talk on the Internet. Lol. :D

You, sure. But you'd be surprised at how many high-schoolers do not have sufficient reading proficiency. In urban areas especially, most 10th graders retain a 4th grade reading comprehension level at best. The fact that one of our country's most prestigious newspapers, the New York Times, is merely at a 5th grade reading level suggests that we really have a declining interest in language arts if not literacy alone.
President of DDO
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2009 4:31:06 PM
My question is - Why can a nation as advanced as America be unable to read. Granted it is a minority, but it's ridiculous to me.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2009 8:14:25 PM
At 11/13/2009 4:31:06 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
My question is - Why can a nation as advanced as America be unable to read. Granted it is a minority, but it's ridiculous to me.

People can READ but comprehension is another story. So are things like knowing proper spelling and grammar.
President of DDO
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2009 8:28:30 PM
One good example is the interpretations of the 2nd amendment some people come up with. : )
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2009 8:54:26 PM

What is it that you have against beer exactly??
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2009 9:41:04 PM
At 11/13/2009 8:54:26 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

What is it that you have against beer exactly??

Self-hating Irishmen are funny, indeed.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
omelet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2009 1:14:47 AM
At 11/13/2009 9:20:21 AM, theLwerd wrote:
The fact that one of our country's most prestigious newspapers, the New York Times, is merely at a 5th grade reading level suggests that we really have a declining interest in language arts if not literacy alone.

What would you prefer it be, something only the very educated can understand?
Simplicity is sometimes a very good thing.