Total Posts:6|Showing Posts:1-6
Jump to topic:

pscharley
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2013 12:31:57 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Since a child's mind will absorb more the younger it is, I say let children begin school as soon as they are tested

The test would be: first of course toilet trained. Second natural curiosity to learn. and I am sure some other criteria can be added. Probably age 2 or their abouts . Then let the child progress in school at their own rate. Not according to age or class number. If a child cannot grasp reading let them remain at that level until they can proceed. however if a child is reading at an advanced level they should be placed with other children of their level.

By herding kids according to age, you will have some who are bored because learning is too slow others are bored because they are unable to grasp and only a few will actually learn as was intended.

That is not saying that those who are slow to learn at one point will be slow to learn throughout their lives. or vice versa. Children have learning spurts just like physical growth spurts. Let them learn at their speed. Divide classes according to learning level not age
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2013 8:11:39 PM
I see the idea here, and how it could benefit students. I skipped two grades in school because I was more suited to grades higher than my age indicated. However, there may be benefits to having people with a variety of different levels of knowledge in one class. Take Japan as an example - the people who are ahead of the class help those who may not be so advanced, and in this way everyone benefits. The more advanced students get to really test their skills by attempting to explain them (which is not an easy task) and the students who need help get it. I'm not saying keep students who are very behind or ahead of their age in the same classroom, as at a certain point it may be detrimental to do so and they should be moved to a different class, but as long as the students are somewhat close to each other in mastery of the subject, they have a lot to learn from each other that they wouldn't have in a class with a more homogeneous mix of learning levels.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2013 9:37:15 PM
At 2/28/2013 12:31:57 PM, pscharley wrote:
Since a child's mind will absorb more the younger it is, I say let children begin school as soon as they are tested

The test would be: first of course toilet trained. Second natural curiosity to learn. and I am sure some other criteria can be added. Probably age 2 or their abouts . Then let the child progress in school at their own rate. Not according to age or class number. If a child cannot grasp reading let them remain at that level until they can proceed. however if a child is reading at an advanced level they should be placed with other children of their level.

By herding kids according to age, you will have some who are bored because learning is too slow others are bored because they are unable to grasp and only a few will actually learn as was intended.

That is not saying that those who are slow to learn at one point will be slow to learn throughout their lives. or vice versa. Children have learning spurts just like physical growth spurts. Let them learn at their speed. Divide classes according to learning level not age

You are forgeting one very important thing, it isn't about succes or advancement. It is about equality of outcome. Letting other children move ahead defeats this goal and is unfair and puts slower children at a disadvantage. The faster learners have to wait for the rest to catch up so as to insure equality of outcome.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 7:56:40 PM
I don't really see why people insist on separating people into groups because of generalizations.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
andreteixeira
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2013 8:00:36 PM
At 2/28/2013 12:31:57 PM, pscharley wrote:

I honestly believe that the level of maturity depends on the child/person, meaning that some people could, and should be allowed to, go to school at earlier ages than others. The notion that there should be a specific age for enrolling children in my opinion is wrong because it suggests that everyone has the same level of capability at the same age, which I would argue against. I would say however that a child should be in school by the age of 4.

http://specialeducation.departments.pwcs.edu...
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2013 8:28:49 PM
Very young children are learning about the world at an enormous rate without being in school. A child of four can decode complex grammatical structures. Children in multilingual homes do not get confused by the multiple languages.

The government studied their Head Start program that gets children into school earlier. In first grade, the Head Start kids have an advantage, but by second grade the advantage disappears. The idea doesn't work.

For older students, say high school, I favor "tracking" -- grouping students by ability and achievement rather than by age. I think getting bored is a big problem for smart kids.

However, there is a counter example. Japan does not use tracking. Students stay in the same group. Students who learn the material most quickly are obliged to help teach the ones who are lagging. I don't understand how this can work, but Japan has very high international test scores.