Total Posts:12|Showing Posts:1-12
Jump to topic:

Sex Education in Christian & Catholic Schools

sirus051884
Posts: 3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2013 12:10:58 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I attended a Catholic school for my middle school and high school years and I never had any form of sexual education except for discussions on abstaining from sexual intercourse until married. However, public schools provide sexual education for their students and have resources for those who are engaging in sexual activities. Since we live in a highly sexualized society, does inadequate sexual education put kids/teens at a disadvantage since they are never made aware of proper protection techniques and the diseases that can come from unprotected sex?
logicrules
Posts: 1,721
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2013 12:15:08 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/8/2013 12:10:58 PM, sirus051884 wrote:
I attended a Catholic school for my middle school and high school years and I never had any form of sexual education except for discussions on abstaining from sexual intercourse until married. However, public schools provide sexual education for their students and have resources for those who are engaging in sexual activities. Since we live in a highly sexualized society, does inadequate sexual education put kids/teens at a disadvantage since they are never made aware of proper protection techniques and the diseases that can come from unprotected sex?

Who determines adequate? Where is this school, because if what you say is true you must write the bishop.
gdd18
Posts: 4
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2013 12:53:17 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/8/2013 12:10:58 PM, sirus051884 wrote:
I attended a Catholic school for my middle school and high school years and I never had any form of sexual education except for discussions on abstaining from sexual intercourse until married. However, public schools provide sexual education for their students and have resources for those who are engaging in sexual activities. Since we live in a highly sexualized society, does inadequate sexual education put kids/teens at a disadvantage since they are never made aware of proper protection techniques and the diseases that can come from unprotected sex?

I went to a christian school growing up and we also didn't have any sort of sex education. I guess the school believed that sex education was more of a family matter than a matter that should be dealt with by the school. Either way, if kids/teens don't receive any sort of sex education at school and their parents don't provide them with any sort of sex education, they will likely be ill-informed about protection methods and what sorts of diseases they could be at risk for if they don't use protection.
sirus051884
Posts: 3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 6:47:09 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I understand the Catholic philosophy, but I think this lack of school sex education is unfortunate because although they aren"t supposed to be, even Catholics are sexually active before marriage. Because of my lack of sex education, when I became sexually active, my partner and I didn"t know what we were supposed to do and we didn"t know how to put on a condom so that resulted in us not using a condom.
gdd18
Posts: 4
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 6:53:04 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/10/2013 6:47:09 PM, sirus051884 wrote:
I understand the Catholic philosophy, but I think this lack of school sex education is unfortunate because although they aren"t supposed to be, even Catholics are sexually active before marriage. Because of my lack of sex education, when I became sexually active, my partner and I didn"t know what we were supposed to do and we didn"t know how to put on a condom so that resulted in us not using a condom.

I can totally understand that. In my sex and education class, we were asked to order the steps to put on a condom and only one person put the steps in the correct order.
I also understand the Catholic philosophy, but Catholic schools can"t ignore the fact that some of their students are going to engage in sexual activity. Some kids do not receive a sex education from their parents either, so it would be better for the schools to teach about various sexually transmitted diseases and different protection methods that can be used to reduce the risk of STDs, but continue to emphasize that kids should wait until marriage. This would at least provide those who are sexually active with some knowledge of how to use different protection methods.
I guess we must also consider how effective these sex education courses are because even some kids who have been sexually educated don"t know how to use condoms or choose not to use condoms.
ebb001
Posts: 1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 10:51:08 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Sex education in catholic schools or in any school is critical. No matter what school the child is in they need to be taught the dangers and precautionary actions about sex. In my school I was taught sex education in middle school and my junior year of high school. I think that middle school may be a little too early to introduce the idea of sex to students. However, I think waiting till junior year of high school is too late. I think the right time to introduce sex education in any school is freshman year of high school. I think this because in middle school students are still young and immature and most do not know about sex and the different aspects of it. However, when students get to high school they are introduced to a new environment with more older and mature students who are aware of sex and its different aspects so this would be the perfect time to teach them about it and its consequences. Sex education should be taught in every school no matter if it is Christian, public, boarding etc.
gdd18
Posts: 4
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2013 3:53:28 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/10/2013 10:51:08 PM, ebb001 wrote:
Sex education in catholic schools or in any school is critical. No matter what school the child is in they need to be taught the dangers and precautionary actions about sex. In my school I was taught sex education in middle school and my junior year of high school. I think that middle school may be a little too early to introduce the idea of sex to students. However, I think waiting till junior year of high school is too late. I think the right time to introduce sex education in any school is freshman year of high school. I think this because in middle school students are still young and immature and most do not know about sex and the different aspects of it. However, when students get to high school they are introduced to a new environment with more older and mature students who are aware of sex and its different aspects so this would be the perfect time to teach them about it and its consequences. Sex education should be taught in every school no matter if it is Christian, public, boarding etc.

I agree that some sort of sex education should take place in every sort of school. I understand that parents are responsible for discussing the birds and the bees with their children, but not all parents do so to be safe, all schools should have some sort of education program.

I think middle school is a good time to discuss puberty and the changes that come with going through puberty, but I agree that 6th grade might be a little early to discuss sex. I don't think most sixth graders can really understand what is going on or why anyone would ever want to have sex so maybe 8th grade or 9th grade would be a good time to have an in depth sex education class. However, some students in 6th and 7th grade do engage in sex unfortunately, so I understand why schools start sex education so early.
hotchick24
Posts: 1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2013 6:12:46 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/8/2013 12:10:58 PM, sirus051884 wrote:
I attended a Catholic school for my middle school and high school years and I never had any form of sexual education except for discussions on abstaining from sexual intercourse until married. However, public schools provide sexual education for their students and have resources for those who are engaging in sexual activities. Since we live in a highly sexualized society, does inadequate sexual education put kids/teens at a disadvantage since they are never made aware of proper protection techniques and the diseases that can come from unprotected sex?

My sex education didn't really impact me. I would probably just have sex without protection regardless of whether or not I received the education. Sex without protection just feels a lot better.
0905845
Posts: 2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2013 6:48:33 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/11/2013 6:12:46 PM, hotchick24 wrote:
At 3/8/2013 12:10:58 PM, sirus051884 wrote:
I attended a Catholic school for my middle school and high school years and I never had any form of sexual education except for discussions on abstaining from sexual intercourse until married. However, public schools provide sexual education for their students and have resources for those who are engaging in sexual activities. Since we live in a highly sexualized society, does inadequate sexual education put kids/teens at a disadvantage since they are never made aware of proper protection techniques and the diseases that can come from unprotected sex?

My sex education didn't really impact me. I would probably just have sex without protection regardless of whether or not I received the education. Sex without protection just feels a lot better.

oh my god. wow.
:) You're beautiful, no matter what people say
gdd18
Posts: 4
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2013 7:13:41 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/11/2013 6:12:46 PM, hotchick24 wrote:
At 3/8/2013 12:10:58 PM, sirus051884 wrote:
I attended a Catholic school for my middle school and high school years and I never had any form of sexual education except for discussions on abstaining from sexual intercourse until married. However, public schools provide sexual education for their students and have resources for those who are engaging in sexual activities. Since we live in a highly sexualized society, does inadequate sexual education put kids/teens at a disadvantage since they are never made aware of proper protection techniques and the diseases that can come from unprotected sex?

My sex education didn't really impact me. I would probably just have sex without protection regardless of whether or not I received the education. Sex without protection just feels a lot better.

Okay. Well, I do think sex education provided by schools is beneficial for a lot of people. Using protection is a personal decision, but sex education does provide students with knowledge of how to use protection if they choose to do so and it also provides students with the knowledge of what the consequences might be if they don't use protection. Knowledge is power, baby.
sirus051884
Posts: 3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2013 7:48:42 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/11/2013 7:13:41 PM, gdd18 wrote:
At 3/11/2013 6:12:46 PM, hotchick24 wrote:
At 3/8/2013 12:10:58 PM, sirus051884 wrote:
I attended a Catholic school for my middle school and high school years and I never had any form of sexual education except for discussions on abstaining from sexual intercourse until married. However, public schools provide sexual education for their students and have resources for those who are engaging in sexual activities. Since we live in a highly sexualized society, does inadequate sexual education put kids/teens at a disadvantage since they are never made aware of proper protection techniques and the diseases that can come from unprotected sex?

My sex education didn't really impact me. I would probably just have sex without protection regardless of whether or not I received the education. Sex without protection just feels a lot better.

Okay. Well, I do think sex education provided by schools is beneficial for a lot of people. Using protection is a personal decision, but sex education does provide students with knowledge of how to use protection if they choose to do so and it also provides students with the knowledge of what the consequences might be if they don't use protection. Knowledge is power, baby.

Yea, I understand that it is a personal decision, but I just would have liked to have more knowledge about what protection methods I could have used before I engaged in sexual activity. I looked some stuff up on the internet, but it would have been easier if I would have just been in a sex ed class at school.