Jump to topic:

Cheating in School

THEVIRUS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 5:00:15 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I know of a few people in my class that cheat. Obviously the instant reaction is "turn them in"... but that isn't always the easiest thing to do.

I was discussing this with my friends and it is widely know who does and doesn't cheat. We came up with some ideas to get word out that someone was cheating without actually going up and ratting them out during a test.

1) Send an anonymous email
2)Create a round robin, sign it if you agree someone is cheating, and tape it to the board while the teacher is out of the classroom

Add to it or throw out some ideas if you have some.
"So you want me to go to the judge with 'unit, corps, God, country'?" - A Few Good Men

"And the hits just keep on comin'." -A Few Good Men
BigSky
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 5:11:38 PM
At 3/10/2013 5:00:15 PM, THEVIRUS wrote:
I know of a few people in my class that cheat. Obviously the instant reaction is "turn them in"... but that isn't always the easiest thing to do.

I was discussing this with my friends and it is widely know who does and doesn't cheat. We came up with some ideas to get word out that someone was cheating without actually going up and ratting them out during a test.

2)Create a round robin, sign it if you agree someone is cheating, and tape it to the board while the teacher is out of the classroom

Try to explain it to your friends that there is a larger picture behind cheating then they even know. If they don't stop, then don't report them, they are only cheating themselves, and will learn the hard way.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 5:22:08 PM
Why not?

#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 5:22:27 PM
If you notice someone looking at your test, loudly inquire as to what, precisely, they find so entrancing about it.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
THEVIRUS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 5:40:36 PM
At 3/10/2013 5:22:27 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
If you notice someone looking at your test, loudly inquire as to what, precisely, they find so entrancing about it.

Can't they don't do that. One kid turned in his test, looked at the answers, then went back and fixed his test. Another person sets the test on their lap, but I don't sit next to her. She also fixed her answers after she got a grade and said the person grading hers messed up
"So you want me to go to the judge with 'unit, corps, God, country'?" - A Few Good Men

THEVIRUS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 5:41:49 PM
At 3/10/2013 5:11:38 PM, BigSky wrote:

Try to explain it to your friends that there is a larger picture behind cheating then they even know. If they don't stop, then don't report them, they are only cheating themselves, and will learn the hard way.

They aren't my friends, it just bothers me that they get straight As from cheating while others work hard for their grade and have A-s

ishallannoyyo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 5:57:24 PM
At 3/10/2013 5:41:49 PM, THEVIRUS wrote:

They aren't my friends, it just bothers me that they get straight As from cheating while others work hard for their grade and have A-s

What grade are these kids in? If they're in Grade 3 cheating on like a quiz, meh. They'll eventually learn it's wrong (if their parents teach them good). If they're in Grade 10 and their cheating on a major test, meh. They're screwed once they write like a diploma exam or something really big.

My advice: mind your own business.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 6:06:40 PM
We got a rat

What are you gonna do when you get to college, make an anonymous call to the DEA because most your classmates are popping Adderall and profiderall without a prescription?
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
THEVIRUS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 6:24:07 PM
At 3/10/2013 6:06:40 PM, lewis20 wrote:
We got a rat

What are you gonna do when you get to college, make an anonymous call to the DEA because most your classmates are popping Adderall and profiderall without a prescription?

Exactly my point

BigSky
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 6:28:13 PM
At 3/10/2013 5:41:49 PM, THEVIRUS wrote:

Don't say anything, they'll fail in life, and you won't.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 6:39:59 PM
At 3/10/2013 6:24:07 PM, THEVIRUS wrote:

Exactly my point

Didn't answer my question. There are always going to be cheaters.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
THEVIRUS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 6:50:52 PM
At 3/10/2013 6:39:59 PM, lewis20 wrote:

Exactly my point

Well the whole question of my thread is how do I answer that. Rat or don't?

trrrzzz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2013 7:55:30 PM
You have got to stop thinking about you and start thinking about the world. We got homeless people and gangsters. People will do anything when they've hit rock bottom. You got to think about them because they'll get the job and when the time finally comes to do something people die or they get ripped off then the company will get sued and fire them but the worst thing you let that one person die all because your scared if you rat on them everything is going to go terrible for you.

Tell your teacher you want a pop quiz to see if those kids are really smart.

You need to do this to prove that you really do care. preferably the time to tell is after or before class I don't want them to find out that you had something to do about it because if you are really right they'll come after you.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2013 7:52:14 PM
"Cheating in School" I am afraid it is a neccesary thing. You have to start young and be groomed to run for political office. You can't be some hard working, play by the rules, honest Joe and be a politician. Politics starts in the classroom. The first 2 rules of politics is lie and cheat.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2013 4:58:19 AM
Best advice I'v got, is, if you feel really strongly that they shouldn't be doing this, then explain to them why. The likelyhood is that they wont give a crap what you say. So I wouldn't bother. Just ignore it and move on. It isn't your business what they do. If they want to cheat, then they will find it very hard when it comes time to pass the exams that you can't cheat on. But you're best not making a stink over something that doesn't really affect you.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 7:07:56 AM

If the kids are smart enough to be able to cheat without being caught, then maybe they deserve the extra points. Its like an unwritten bonus section.
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush
qopel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 9:35:54 AM

If the kids are smart enough to be able to cheat without being caught, then maybe they deserve the extra points. Its like an unwritten bonus section.

And you wonder why the world is full of cheaters and liars.
tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 10:37:53 AM
At 3/16/2013 9:35:54 AM, qopel wrote:

And you wonder why the world is full of cheaters and liars.

I really don't care if it is, I don't see cheating or lying as wrong.
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush
Pixel_Brains
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 12:28:37 PM
At 3/10/2013 6:50:52 PM, THEVIRUS wrote:
At 3/10/2013 6:39:59 PM, lewis20 wrote:

Exactly my point

I wouldn't if I were you, after all they're going to have to actually start doing some work sooner or later. It's still wrong but in the end I don't think ratting them out really accomplishes anything (At least in my experience it doesn't).
Emma589
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 3:49:05 PM
As previous people have said, it is the person's own fault for cheating. Therefore it should be them who suffers.
However-
I do understand that in the short long it is deeply frustrating to see someone doing well through cheating, however i do stress that this is not a long term thing. Eventually the person will be caught/find the error of their ways/have no reason to do it/etc.
I think if you are attempting to stop someone from cheating, you will do more harm than good. Frankly, I think sending an anonymous email is a bit creepy- and also slightly obsessive. If you want to do something, stop focusing on other people and think about how you can do well for yourself.
likespeace
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 10:03:46 PM
At 3/10/2013 6:50:52 PM, THEVIRUS wrote:

First, I would watch the words you use to frame a situation. By labeling someone who reports a cheater a "rat", you've presupposed that action is negative. Second, "They're only cheating themselves" is a silly notion. Clearly, the outcome of successful cheating is not altogether negative for them.

I'd weigh the impact on you. If these are clowns going nowhere in life, who cares? However, if they're in competition with you for anything--awards, college, jobs, etc.--not reporting has potential negative effects on you. They could wind up out-achieving you or lowering the value of what you achieved.
Jcampbell
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2013 5:36:47 PM

Try to ignore them. Look at the bigger picture: At some point in the future, they will probably wish they had learned something, rather than cheating. In the real world, cheaters does not last for long... Unless you work for the govt