Total Posts:72|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Explain evolution to me as if I...

PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2009 6:45:05 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/14/2009 3:11:22 AM, GodSands wrote:
...Am five, anyone? Because I apparently don't understand evolution. Not anymore anyway. Since I not long believe in it.

I don't normally post in these types of threads. But Godsands...honestly bro, you're looking to be enabled. If you really want to learn about evolution, go to a library. Take a biology class. I doubt more than a few on this forum are truly qualified to discuss evolutionary biology.

That said, no biologist dissents from the current model of evolution.

If you really want to be this first biologist, get your butt in college. Earn a PhD in the subject of biology. Then, from this newfound academic viewpoint, argue your case. No one takes you seriously.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
TheSkeptic
Posts: 1,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2009 6:52:10 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
That said, no biologist dissents from the current model of evolution.

Well I wouldn't say none, but the few who do are a very small and discredited minority.
omelet
Posts: 416
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2009 7:16:47 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/12/2009 6:52:10 PM, TheSkeptic wrote:
That said, no biologist dissents from the current model of evolution.

Well I wouldn't say none, but the few who do are a very small and discredited minority.

And most of them have diplomas from diploma mill bible colleges.

Anyway, on topic, is there a certain aspect of evolution you are having trouble grasping?

Do you have a problem understanding. . .

1. How new information is added to a genome?
2. How certain genes are "better" and end up dominating the population compared to other genes?
3. How lots of small changes piled on top of one another can equal a large change?
4. Why we think that the process of evolution is how the diversity of life arose?
5. How the same creature can end up evolving into many different creatures, rather than just all evolving into the same thing?
6. Something else? (please specify).

If you say which of these things doesn't make sense to you, I would give at least a rudimentary explanation, and perhaps others would do the same as well.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2009 7:20:34 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/14/2009 3:11:22 AM, GodSands wrote:
Explain evolution to me as if I am five.

Matter changes over time and gets increasingly more complex.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2009 8:26:21 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/12/2009 7:20:34 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 11/14/2009 3:11:22 AM, GodSands wrote:
Explain evolution to me as if I am five.

Matter changes over time and gets increasingly more complex.

He doesn't undestand that at his current age...
wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2009 8:29:35 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/14/2009 3:11:22 AM, GodSands wrote:
...Am five, anyone? Because I apparently don't understand evolution. Not anymore anyway. Since I not long believe in it.

There exists a bunch of things called genes in every individual animal. An animal with better genes is more likely to survive long enough for the stork to bring it children. Over long periods of time, a species tends to improve to fit its environment. This is called microevolution.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2009 9:04:09 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
-Mutations in DNA happen.
-Most are bad, but every once in a while one useful (reproductively so) for the animal, given it's environment, happens.
-Those useful ones are more likely to be have offspring b/c they are better at reproducing.
- Lot's of such mutations can change an group of animals dramatically, so that they are significantly different from what they once were.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2009 9:06:03 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/12/2009 9:04:09 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
-Mutations in DNA happen.
-Most are bad, but every once in a while one useful (reproductively so) for the animal, given it's environment, happens.
-Those *animals with useful ones are more likely to have offspring b/c they are better at reproducing. (they pass on new DNA)
- Lot's of such mutations can change an group of animals dramatically, so that they are significantly different from what they once were.

fixed
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2009 9:08:22 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
This is the exact problem. We can't explain evolution to you as if though you were 5. A 5 year old child can't understand evolution. You need a significant amount of education in order to understand evolution. What you need to do is take one or two semesters of evolution and biology, and maybe go to additional office hours with a good professor.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2009 12:03:22 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Hmm deja vu.

Lesson One: Inherited Characteristics.

Okay, once upon a time in a land far away there was a male bear, and a female bear. They fell in love, got married in the bear church before the sight of the mighty bear God. We will call them Mr and Mrs Bear. Now it's worth mentioning at this point that bears of the same gender can fall in love and get married but we will cover that another day.

Sometime later the stork brought Mr and Mrs Bear a baby bear, then another, then another one after that. Now before this happens the stork takes a little something from both people... or bears in this case. And puts them together in the special baby factory, far to the north (though not quite as far Santa's house). He mixes what he collects into a big cauldron and <poof> a baby appears, which he then promptly delivers.

Now Mr Bear was a black bear, he was into hip hop, jazz, rap and other black things. Mrs Bear was a white bear, so she was far more into imperialism, classical music, cricket and feeling alternately smug and/or guilty.

They had three children, they all turned out differently due to how the Stork mixed their ingredients.

The first one came out not quite so dark as Mr Bear, but not quite so light as Mrs Bear. The second one came out as white as Mrs Bear, the third one came out as dark as Mr Bear.

Any questions? (more lessons to follow).
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
GodSands
Posts: 2,843
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2009 4:24:14 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
: At 12/13/2009 12:03:22 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Hmm deja vu.

Lesson One: Inherited Characteristics.

Okay, once upon a time in a land far away there was a male bear, and a female bear. They fell in love, got married in the bear church before the sight of the mighty bear God. We will call them Mr and Mrs Bear. Now it's worth mentioning at this point that bears of the same gender can fall in love and get married but we will cover that another day.

Sometime later the stork brought Mr and Mrs Bear a baby bear, then another, then another one after that. Now before this happens the stork takes a little something from both people... or bears in this case. And puts them together in the special baby factory, far to the north (though not quite as far Santa's house). He mixes what he collects into a big cauldron and <poof> a baby appears, which he then promptly delivers.

Now Mr Bear was a black bear, he was into hip hop, jazz, rap and other black things. Mrs Bear was a white bear, so she was far more into imperialism, classical music, cricket and feeling alternately smug and/or guilty.

They had three children, they all turned out differently due to how the Stork mixed their ingredients.

The first one came out not quite so dark as Mr Bear, but not quite so light as Mrs Bear. The second one came out as white as Mrs Bear, the third one came out as dark as Mr Bear.

Any questions? (more lessons to follow).


Haha, very nice, I understand micro evolution, I suppose macor is that over millions of years...Neah not buying it. Why can't macro evolution happen in my life time? When would the bear family no longer be bears? That I mean grizzaly bears, polar bears, black bears, brown bears etc...Not the family of bears you talked about? And also how would a bear evolve because either it occurs with a single life, or a bear gives birth to a none bear, otherwise there is no change at all and evolution is a myth. So even someone sees a bear change into a none bear during it's life, like a catapila into a butterfly, or a bear gives birth to a none bear, they are the only two choices.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2009 4:49:14 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/13/2009 4:24:14 AM, GodSands wrote:
: At 12/13/2009 12:03:22 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Hmm deja vu.

Lesson One: Inherited Characteristics.

Okay, once upon a time in a land far away there was a male bear, and a female bear. They fell in love, got married in the bear church before the sight of the mighty bear God. We will call them Mr and Mrs Bear. Now it's worth mentioning at this point that bears of the same gender can fall in love and get married but we will cover that another day.

Sometime later the stork brought Mr and Mrs Bear a baby bear, then another, then another one after that. Now before this happens the stork takes a little something from both people... or bears in this case. And puts them together in the special baby factory, far to the north (though not quite as far Santa's house). He mixes what he collects into a big cauldron and <poof> a baby appears, which he then promptly delivers.

Now Mr Bear was a black bear, he was into hip hop, jazz, rap and other black things. Mrs Bear was a white bear, so she was far more into imperialism, classical music, cricket and feeling alternately smug and/or guilty.

They had three children, they all turned out differently due to how the Stork mixed their ingredients.

The first one came out not quite so dark as Mr Bear, but not quite so light as Mrs Bear. The second one came out as white as Mrs Bear, the third one came out as dark as Mr Bear.

Any questions? (more lessons to follow).


Haha, very nice, I understand micro evolution, I suppose macor is that over millions of years...

Brilliant!

Neah not buying it.

Fair enough, I prefer the alternative myself.

Why can't macro evolution happen in my life time?

Oh it can, if you manage to live for millions of years that is.

When would the bear family no longer be bears? That I mean grizzaly bears, polar bears, black bears, brown bears etc...Not the family of bears you talked about?

Well technically it would be when that lineage could no longer interbreed with bears.

And also how would a bear evolve because either it occurs with a single life, or a bear gives birth to a none bear, otherwise there is no change at all and evolution is a myth.

A lifeform singular, does not evolve. Evolution occurs across lines of descent.

So even someone sees a bear change into a none bear during it's life, like a catapila into a butterfly, or a bear gives birth to a none bear, they are the only two choices.

Neither of which are the theory of evolution, you are the very living definition of obtuse.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2009 5:37:01 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/13/2009 4:24:14 AM, GodSands wrote:
Why can't macro evolution happen in my life time?

Macro evolution is a culmination of micro evolution over time
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
GodSands
Posts: 2,843
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2009 5:50:25 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
: At 12/13/2009 5:37:01 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 12/13/2009 4:24:14 AM, GodSands wrote:
Why can't macro evolution happen in my life time?

Macro evolution is a culmination of micro evolution over time


I know that, but prove it!
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2009 5:54:17 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/13/2009 5:50:25 AM, GodSands wrote:
: At 12/13/2009 5:37:01 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 12/13/2009 4:24:14 AM, GodSands wrote:
Why can't macro evolution happen in my life time?

Macro evolution is a culmination of micro evolution over time


I know that, but prove it!

You accept micro evolution. Small changes over time. One all these changes culminate, the creature becomes physically a different being. When this occurs, it's macro evolution. All I need to prove is that the world is more than 6000 years old.

And to that, I say Sandstone.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
GodSands
Posts: 2,843
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2009 6:00:50 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/13/2009 5:54:17 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 12/13/2009 5:50:25 AM, GodSands wrote:
: At 12/13/2009 5:37:01 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 12/13/2009 4:24:14 AM, GodSands wrote:
Why can't macro evolution happen in my life time?

Macro evolution is a culmination of micro evolution over time


I know that, but prove it!

You accept micro evolution. Small changes over time. One all these changes culminate, the creature becomes physically a different being. When this occurs, it's macro evolution. All I need to prove is that the world is more than 6000 years old.

And to that, I say Sandstone.

Man your picture is anoying :): Anyway I get you, I just don't believe you.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2009 6:49:42 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/13/2009 6:00:50 AM, GodSands wrote:
At 12/13/2009 5:54:17 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 12/13/2009 5:50:25 AM, GodSands wrote:
: At 12/13/2009 5:37:01 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 12/13/2009 4:24:14 AM, GodSands wrote:
Why can't macro evolution happen in my life time?

Macro evolution is a culmination of micro evolution over time


I know that, but prove it!

You accept micro evolution. Small changes over time. One all these changes culminate, the creature becomes physically a different being. When this occurs, it's macro evolution. All I need to prove is that the world is more than 6000 years old.

And to that, I say Sandstone.

Man your picture is anoying :): Anyway I get you, I just don't believe you.

What aspect don't you believe?
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
GodSands
Posts: 2,843
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2009 7:13:11 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
: At 12/13/2009 6:49:42 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 12/13/2009 6:00:50 AM, GodSands wrote:
At 12/13/2009 5:54:17 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 12/13/2009 5:50:25 AM, GodSands wrote:
: At 12/13/2009 5:37:01 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 12/13/2009 4:24:14 AM, GodSands wrote:
Why can't macro evolution happen in my life time?

Macro evolution is a culmination of micro evolution over time


I know that, but prove it!

You accept micro evolution. Small changes over time. One all these changes culminate, the creature becomes physically a different being. When this occurs, it's macro evolution. All I need to prove is that the world is more than 6000 years old.

And to that, I say Sandstone.

Man your picture is anoying :): Anyway I get you, I just don't believe you.

What aspect don't you believe?


I have to believe in something that I do not sense, I have never sensed macro evolution, ever. I don't believe it is a science either and it does not make sense. That a cat for example can adapt to any change over time, why does it need to change to a none cat?
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2009 7:22:22 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/13/2009 7:13:11 AM, GodSands wrote:
: At 12/13/2009 6:49:42 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 12/13/2009 6:00:50 AM, GodSands wrote:
At 12/13/2009 5:54:17 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 12/13/2009 5:50:25 AM, GodSands wrote:
: At 12/13/2009 5:37:01 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 12/13/2009 4:24:14 AM, GodSands wrote:
Why can't macro evolution happen in my life time?

Macro evolution is a culmination of micro evolution over time


I know that, but prove it!

You accept micro evolution. Small changes over time. One all these changes culminate, the creature becomes physically a different being. When this occurs, it's macro evolution. All I need to prove is that the world is more than 6000 years old.

And to that, I say Sandstone.

Man your picture is anoying :): Anyway I get you, I just don't believe you.

What aspect don't you believe?


I have to believe in something that I do not sense, I have never sensed macro evolution, ever. I don't believe it is a science either and it does not make sense. That a cat for example can adapt to any change over time, why does it need to change to a none cat?

As said multiple times, Evolution occurs due to a change in the environment. In a species can't adapt, it will die off. The most effective change will survive. This is natural selection.

Furthermore, macro evolution occurs over millions of years

This might give you a better insight http://records.viu.ca... .
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
GodSands
Posts: 2,843
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2009 7:26:55 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
: At 12/13/2009 7:22:22 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 12/13/2009 7:13:11 AM, GodSands wrote:
: At 12/13/2009 6:49:42 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 12/13/2009 6:00:50 AM, GodSands wrote:
At 12/13/2009 5:54:17 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 12/13/2009 5:50:25 AM, GodSands wrote:
: At 12/13/2009 5:37:01 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 12/13/2009 4:24:14 AM, GodSands wrote:
Why can't macro evolution happen in my life time?

Macro evolution is a culmination of micro evolution over time


I know that, but prove it!

You accept micro evolution. Small changes over time. One all these changes culminate, the creature becomes physically a different being. When this occurs, it's macro evolution. All I need to prove is that the world is more than 6000 years old.

And to that, I say Sandstone.

Man your picture is anoying :): Anyway I get you, I just don't believe you.

What aspect don't you believe?


I have to believe in something that I do not sense, I have never sensed macro evolution, ever. I don't believe it is a science either and it does not make sense. That a cat for example can adapt to any change over time, why does it need to change to a none cat?

As said multiple times, Evolution occurs due to a change in the environment. In a species can't adapt, it will die off. The most effective change will survive. This is natural selection.

Furthermore, macro evolution occurs over millions of years

This might give you a better insight http://records.viu.ca... .


So its a belief if it happens over millions of years if it is true or not that is beside the point.

And I understand micro evolution I agree with you that it is real and it happens, so stop going on about micro evolution but more about macro.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2009 7:33:39 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/13/2009 7:26:55 AM, GodSands wrote:
: At 12/13/2009 7:22:22 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 12/13/2009 7:13:11 AM, GodSands wrote:
: At 12/13/2009 6:49:42 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 12/13/2009 6:00:50 AM, GodSands wrote:
At 12/13/2009 5:54:17 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 12/13/2009 5:50:25 AM, GodSands wrote:
: At 12/13/2009 5:37:01 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 12/13/2009 4:24:14 AM, GodSands wrote:
Why can't macro evolution happen in my life time?

Macro evolution is a culmination of micro evolution over time


I know that, but prove it!

You accept micro evolution. Small changes over time. One all these changes culminate, the creature becomes physically a different being. When this occurs, it's macro evolution. All I need to prove is that the world is more than 6000 years old.

And to that, I say Sandstone.

Man your picture is anoying :): Anyway I get you, I just don't believe you.

What aspect don't you believe?


I have to believe in something that I do not sense, I have never sensed macro evolution, ever. I don't believe it is a science either and it does not make sense. That a cat for example can adapt to any change over time, why does it need to change to a none cat?

As said multiple times, Evolution occurs due to a change in the environment. In a species can't adapt, it will die off. The most effective change will survive. This is natural selection.

Furthermore, macro evolution occurs over millions of years

This might give you a better insight http://records.viu.ca... .


So its a belief if it happens over millions of years if it is true or not that is beside the point.

And I understand micro evolution I agree with you that it is real and it happens, so stop going on about micro evolution but more about macro.

Macro evolution is just micro evolution over time. You just can't understand the world isn't older than 6,000 year
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2009 7:36:29 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Cerebral Narcissist, Your explanation didn't deal with mutations, which is the driving factor of evolution. you dealt with gene diversity of bears.

Godsands, if you look to my explanation, you'll see how bears actually change into slightly different bears from what either of their parents were, without borrowing from their parents in any combination.
Necessarily: slight "real" differences add up to big "real" differences given time.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
GodSands
Posts: 2,843
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2009 7:40:35 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
: At 12/13/2009 7:36:29 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
Cerebral Narcissist, Your explanation didn't deal with mutations, which is the driving factor of evolution. you dealt with gene diversity of bears.

Godsands, if you look to my explanation, you'll see how bears actually change into slightly different bears from what either of their parents were, without borrowing from their parents in any combination.
Necessarily: slight "real" differences add up to big "real" differences given time.


Give me a possible possitive mutation to say a bear? Give me one possitive mutation, because according to you, a mutation creates a new creature, a bear which was is no longer a bear due to its mutation. But a mutation is of the bear and the bear will remain a bear no matter how many mutations is has. Because it is a bear mutation. Not a none bear mutation.
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2009 7:43:21 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/13/2009 7:13:11 AM, GodSands wrote:
I have to believe in something that I do not sense, I have never sensed macro evolution, ever. I don't believe it is a science either and it does not make sense. That a cat for example can adapt to any change over time, why does it need to change to a none cat?

You're right that wouldn't make sense. A singular cat doesn't change, and is pretty damn well built for his kind of environment, they're pretty damn cool machines.

However if the world dropped 40 degrees, only really furry cats would survive, and further, if one kitten was somehow genetically mutated such that it grew lot's more fur, It (and it's offspring) would be quite a bit more likely to survive than others.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
GodSands
Posts: 2,843
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2009 7:56:52 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
: At 12/13/2009 7:43:21 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 12/13/2009 7:13:11 AM, GodSands wrote:
I have to believe in something that I do not sense, I have never sensed macro evolution, ever. I don't believe it is a science either and it does not make sense. That a cat for example can adapt to any change over time, why does it need to change to a none cat?

You're right that wouldn't make sense. A singular cat doesn't change, and is pretty damn well built for his kind of environment, they're pretty damn cool machines.

However if the world dropped 40 degrees, only really furry cats would survive, and further, if one kitten was somehow genetically mutated such that it grew lot's more fur, It (and it's offspring) would be quite a bit more likely to survive than others.


Crying out loud I agree with you here. And because I do, I do not see how macro evolution plays any part in this. In fact macro evolution defines adaptaion, if a cat cahnged to a none cat over time, that is not adaptation but its cheating adaptation. Like magic.
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2009 8:10:52 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/13/2009 7:40:35 AM, GodSands wrote:
: At 12/13/2009 7:36:29 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
Cerebral Narcissist, Your explanation didn't deal with mutations, which is the driving factor of evolution. you dealt with gene diversity of bears.

Godsands, if you look to my explanation, you'll see how bears actually change into slightly different bears from what either of their parents were, without borrowing from their parents in any combination.
Necessarily: slight "real" differences add up to big "real" differences given time.


Give me a possible possitive mutation to say a bear? Give me one possitive mutation, because according to you, a mutation creates a new creature, a bear which was is no longer a bear due to its mutation. But a mutation is of the bear and the bear will remain a bear no matter how many mutations is has. Because it is a bear mutation. Not a none bear mutation.

Godsands, please read what I wrote, as it took much time.

There's two groups of bears let's say. group A in North America, Group B in Europe.

Group A is (1)pretty much the only big predator in it's area.

they no longer need to be so big because they (1), and because (2) game is all over the place but is small and fast, being a bit quicker would be good. Mutations which make the bears lose weight and which change their bone structure to be lighter, and shaped less to hold their weight and more for smooth running mechanics, are useful (survivally, and ultimately reproductively) for the bears.
Now in North America, there is originally no dog-like creature, but after a couple of million years of said mutations, this original group have begun to look as though they were similar in size, shape, and the like, with dogs (not to say they are "dogs", they just aren't "bears")

European bears develop differently. There's lots of big predators in Europe, and the bear has a hard time competing with the multitude of awesome Siberian Tigers. Mutations which make bears larger are most useful (so as to intimidate possibly predatory Siberian Tigers), as are those with the best nose for smelling out vegetables and the like. Further mutations whcih allow for a skeletal structure with mechanics best for digging such are favored, because there is plenty of food underground in the form of tubers (which no other animals are interested in). Their carnivorous teeth are useless to them and those which develop more molarlike teeth (best/most efficient in energy expense for grinding tubers) displace the others. Only these Tuber-bear descendants are left in Europe.

All the original kind of bears are extinct only these two kinds are left.
We think of them as different, but then we notice that Hmm? maybe they share a lineage, way back, so we try to breed them. They don't breed, the changes in DNA are so much that for some reason offspring just doesn't happen, or if it does it regularly comes out F*d up.

Two different species.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."