Total Posts:33|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Subjects which aren't taught, that should be?

AlbinoBunny
Posts: 3,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2013 11:20:01 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
As the title says.

Are there any subjects which you think should be taught, which aren't currently, and why?
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2013 2:30:27 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/9/2013 11:20:01 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
As the title says.

Are there any subjects which you think should be taught, which aren't currently, and why?

Critical thinking/logic in high school.
This would basically be a study hall in which you write papers of your own design. The point is to take knowledge and apply it in a paper where you write down what you think on a subject and why. The teacher, or class, then attacks the thought process. It doesn't matter what side you are on or the topic, only that you apply any knowledge consistently and logically. Plus, hopefully, this class would teach that people disagree and can still be civil towards each other.

The class has no real lesson plan, but if it did, it would be in how to apply knowledge, not merely recite it.

For example, take the left's fair share argument. If a child were to report that, as a share of tax revenue, corporate taxes are less now than they were, the teacher could respond "why does that matter, if the corporate tax revenue still went up", as the crux of their argument is "share" not dollar amount. Also, a challenge would be to define what fair share is and defend it. This gets people to think about their beliefs, instead of just parroting memes on the internet. And, hopefully, welcome discussion in their adult life.

Another example is why a movie is good, why the Bible is true, or why the school should ban snacks. Basically, if you have derived an opinion or assessed the validity of a fact, you should be able to articulate it, describe your thought process, and defend it if need be.
My work here is, finally, done.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2013 3:05:55 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/11/2013 5:55:29 PM, Smithereens wrote:
survival skills.

Would this include gardening? That would be good, too.
My work here is, finally, done.
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2013 1:44:11 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Critical thinking would be at the top of the list. Everybody should know the standard list of logical fallacies and cognitive biases.

Economics and civics should be first-class citizens in a highschool education along with math and science.

I think basic data management skills such as how to navigate in a UNIX environment, how to write BASH scripts, how to interact with database should be taught. Everyone will evenutally need to manage data in their lives so one shouldn't leave highschool without mastering this important skill. (Most programmers I know are actually horrible at managing data - it's strange and bad.)

I think Latin and Greek should be brought back as educational stapels.

Religions should be taught in school and more emphisis should be placed on understanding other cultures throughout the world.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
rruthbj
Posts: 5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 2:08:41 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Civics and How to Make it in the World, including Household finances, resumes and interviewing skills, and somehow teach the kids that graduation isn't freedom, it is the beginning of the hard work.
Rrj
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 2:15:14 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/18/2013 2:08:41 AM, rruthbj wrote:
Civics and How to Make it in the World, including Household finances, resumes and interviewing skills, and somehow teach the kids that graduation isn't freedom, it is the beginning of the hard work.

-Civics is taught multiple times in K-12 (8th grade + high school, and all the american history classes)
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 2:17:51 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Mine:
-Learning how to start a business
-Critical thinking skills and logic
-Programming
-Household finance (Understanding investing and how to do taxes)
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
sadolite
Posts: 8,842
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2013 5:27:39 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/11/2013 5:55:29 PM, Smithereens wrote:
survival skills.

Ageed, schools teach children nothing about what they need to know when they enter the real world.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2013 10:58:30 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/18/2013 2:17:51 AM, darkkermit wrote:
Mine:
-Learning how to start a business

What do you think the consequences would be if everyone was taught entrepreneurialism? Don't the incentives of the market already produce enough entrepreneurs?

-Critical thinking skills and logic
-Programming
-Household finance (Understanding investing and how to do taxes)
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
Cowboy0108
Posts: 420
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2013 10:37:43 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Problem solving and politics(one class)
Students get many political problems and has to solve them using a particular political party's opinion.
chui
Posts: 511
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2013 11:01:43 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/18/2013 5:27:39 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 4/11/2013 5:55:29 PM, Smithereens wrote:
survival skills.

Ageed, schools teach children nothing about what they need to know when they enter the real world.

As soon as you start telling teenagers about the real world they switch off because they assume they already know it. My college spends hours writing resources for lessons on finance, relationships, sexual health, world issues etc.. and the students find it the most boring waste of time.
Also critical thinking is taught and the students opinion....boring, same thing every lesson... here's an argument what's wrong with it. There is a limit on the number of ways an argument can be criticised.

The subjects that are taught have been arrived at over many centuries, they have been shown to be useful over a person's lifetime from experience. For all the rest there's Google!
Sui_Generis
Posts: 493
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2013 8:41:40 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
They've all been mentioned, but they are EXCELLENT suggestions:

- Critical thinking / logic / philosophy.
I'm glad this was the first suggestion. It's the first addition needed. Though parts should be taught earlier than highschool, even.
- Programming
One of the most useful abilities going into the workforce, and even for person use. I barely know what BASH is, though I know I wish I'd known it many times when trying to perform batch functions.
- Latin
My friend just got his doctorate in political philosophy, and he once said to me in a conversation about latin: "If you can't say it in latin it doesn't make sense." haha. But seriously, Latin knowledge can only benefit you.
- Austrian economics
I know I will get flak.
- Survival Skills
Not a biggie, but it would be beneficial for adults to know what to do in emergencies, how to survive in disasters, etc. It would hold the interest. Basically like man vs wild and lifehacker.
"Mundus vult decipi--the world wants to be deceived. The truth is too complex and frightening; the taste for the truth is an acquired taste that few acquire."
-Martin Buber, I and Thou
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2013 7:54:46 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I think an elective course in anime would be good. The goal is to teach multiculturalism, genuinely different ways of thinking, and analysis of moral problems in ways that would be interesting to students. Alas, it turns out that even the anime fans on DDO don't watch anime that requires much thought, so no one knows what I'm talking about. The Naruto/Dragonball Z stereotype of anime is too hard to break.

Practical economics and law is boring, but it probably would do the most good. Subjects would include insurance, tax requirements, basic contract law, jury duty, real estate transactions, and loan transactions. In preparation for college, maybe something about making bail ...
Pinkmani
Posts: 1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2013 2:59:24 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
-Personal Financial Responsibility
-Financial Aid 101
-Sex Education (abstinence and birth control)
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2013 3:03:12 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/5/2013 7:54:46 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
I think an elective course in anime would be good. The goal is to teach multiculturalism, genuinely different ways of thinking, and analysis of moral problems in ways that would be interesting to students. Alas, it turns out that even the anime fans on DDO don't watch anime that requires much thought, so no one knows what I'm talking about. The Naruto/Dragonball Z stereotype of anime is too hard to break.

Practical economics and law is boring, but it probably would do the most good. Subjects would include insurance, tax requirements, basic contract law, jury duty, real estate transactions, and loan transactions. In preparation for college, maybe something about making bail ...

Never lump in Naruto with Dragonball Z. DBZ >>> Naruto.

Plus the moral dilemna that Vegeta has on whether it is worth risk destroying the entire universe to become stronger than Goku very worthy of consideration and difficult to make.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
thett3
Posts: 14,382
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2013 7:13:54 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Manual labor.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2013 7:18:08 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/8/2013 3:03:12 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 5/5/2013 7:54:46 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
I think an elective course in anime would be good. The goal is to teach multiculturalism, genuinely different ways of thinking, and analysis of moral problems in ways that would be interesting to students. Alas, it turns out that even the anime fans on DDO don't watch anime that requires much thought, so no one knows what I'm talking about. The Naruto/Dragonball Z stereotype of anime is too hard to break.

Practical economics and law is boring, but it probably would do the most good. Subjects would include insurance, tax requirements, basic contract law, jury duty, real estate transactions, and loan transactions. In preparation for college, maybe something about making bail ...

Never lump in Naruto with Dragonball Z. DBZ >>> Naruto.

Plus the moral dilemna that Vegeta has on whether it is worth risk destroying the entire universe to become stronger than Goku very worthy of consideration and difficult to make.

DBZ is random fighting, dying, coming back to life, and more ridiculous fighting. Naruto had a plot at least.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
YYW
Posts: 36,426
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 11:38:19 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 4/9/2013 11:20:01 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
As the title says.

Are there any subjects which you think should be taught, which aren't currently, and why?

Philosophy, Religious History, Symbolic Logic, just to list a few.
Tsar of DDO
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2013 11:45:21 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Most subjects that I like are taught. I think it would be nice to have a class on social education of mating and relationships. A sex education class only teaches how to have sex safely. I think a class detailing the complicated process of convincing someone to have sex with you would make people better at dating.

Other stuff that is taught in most school but if it isn't, I'd like it to be taught:

Business
Psychology
Computer Programming (C, C++, Java are great)
Thermal Engineering
Structural Engineering
Mathematical modelling using MATLAB/FORTRAN
Mechatronics
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2013 1:37:48 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/10/2013 7:18:08 PM, 000ike wrote:

DBZ is random fighting, dying, coming back to life, and more ridiculous fighting. Naruto had a plot at least.

Ten years ago, the anime "Sailor Moon" was popular. It was mainly for girls, and featured girls who made cakes and such, except when evil threatened they transformed into superheroes. They were named after the sun, moon, and planets. When the series was adapted for US viewing, a number of episodes were censored. One deleted episode involved some kind of dream sequence in which one of the girls suddenly became older and got drunk. A climactic episode was deleted in which five of the girls died defending the earth from some evil power.

Even dopey popular anime has a different viewpoint of what is an acceptable theme and what is not. That makes it an interesting genre.
SarcasticIndeed
Posts: 2,215
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2013 6:00:42 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/5/2013 7:54:46 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
I think an elective course in anime would be good. The goal is to teach multiculturalism, genuinely different ways of thinking, and analysis of moral problems in ways that would be interesting to students. Alas, it turns out that even the anime fans on DDO don't watch anime that requires much thought, so no one knows what I'm talking about. The Naruto/Dragonball Z stereotype of anime is too hard to break.
Hey, there are Death Note/Code Geass fans over here!

Practical economics and law is boring, but it probably would do the most good. Subjects would include insurance, tax requirements, basic contract law, jury duty, real estate transactions, and loan transactions. In preparation for college, maybe something about making bail ...
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
twocupcakes
Posts: 2,764
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2013 12:36:04 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Definitely there should be a huge emphasis on Presentation and Public Speaking. No skills are as important as these, yet they are rarely emphasized. Mastering these skills benefit pretty much any career and social lives.
nananana
Posts: 1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 1:37:09 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I think that Economics should be taught in schools simply because children nowadays prefer spending their money than keeping it therefore, Economics should be implemented at a young age.
Quan
Posts: 97
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2013 8:42:00 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Programming or similar logic-oriented course. I think everyone should be exposed to this to some extent.

Basic computer troubleshooting. You shouldn't have to call someone else to run a virus scan for you.

Possibly even a more hardware-oriented course, teaching how to replace certain components (HDD and RAM specifically). Perhaps even having to put together an entire computer by the end of the class.

I also wouldn't be opposed to courses in driving and general car maintenance, or even some basic repairs (replacing headlights, wiper blades, etc.)