Jump to topic:

Ancient Greek

vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2013 2:07:10 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I've begun teaching my son, and myself Ancient Greek. I think it's probably the best language to enhance a philosophical education.

I was wondering if any of you had any interesting insights you would like to share about the ancient Greek language in terms of its educational value (and in any other regard, for that matter): Is it a worth while pursuit? Does it enhance ones reading of the ancient Greeks? Does it assist in your understanding of English? Does it assist ones undertaking of scientific and other acedemic pursuits (whose argots rely hevily on Greek cognates)? What's the best way to learn it? Are there any tools, such as videos, audiobooks, toys, etc, that would assist in learing it?
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2013 5:32:17 AM
At 4/12/2013 2:07:10 PM, vbaculum wrote:
I've begun teaching my son, and myself Ancient Greek. I think it's probably the best language to enhance a philosophical education.

It's only the best language to enhance a philosophical education if you think that Western philosophy is the only philosophy worth studying. The Greeks themselves acknowledged that they relied on the Egyptians for knowledge, and they believed the Egyptian cults (Cult of Isis specifically) possessed true knowledge of the world. You should study Ancient Egyptian.
I was wondering if any of you had any interesting insights you would like to share about the ancient Greek language in terms of its educational value (and in any other regard, for that matter): Is it a worth while pursuit? Does it enhance ones reading of the ancient Greeks? Does it assist in your understanding of English? Does it assist ones undertaking of scientific and other acedemic pursuits (whose argots rely hevily on Greek cognates)? What's the best way to learn it? Are there any tools, such as videos, audiobooks, toys, etc, that would assist in learing it?
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2013 5:33:24 AM
In addition, Greek philosophy is functionally worthless. It involves people making speculative claims with essentially no evidence . . . You should just study modern philosophy.
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2013 9:15:39 AM
At 4/24/2013 5:32:17 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 4/12/2013 2:07:10 PM, vbaculum wrote:

It's only the best language to enhance a philosophical education if you think that Western philosophy is the only philosophy worth studying. The Greeks themselves acknowledged that they relied on the Egyptians for knowledge, and they believed the Egyptian cults (Cult of Isis specifically) possessed true knowledge of the world. You should study Ancient Egyptian.

What Ancient Egyptian authors do you believe are worth studying? I can't think of any , but I doubt Ancient Egyptian writers could rival the Greeks in in philisophical richness. Greece gave us the pre-Socratics, the Socratics, Epicurians, Stoics, Atomists, Pythagoreans, Cynics, Skeptics, etc. That's to say nothing of Aristophanes, Eurpides, Sophocles, et. al..

I think what made the Greeks different with respect to their neighbors at the time was the fact that their intellectuals were able to think in directions that weren't constrained by the local religion. It's true that the Greeks were influenced by Eastern ideas, but they weren't constrained by any of these dogma. It's also a credit to Greek culure to point this out: as a result of this, the Greeks had more ideas to critique and enhance their understanding of the world... it's one of the reasons they are remembered for their ideas.

So I ask you: of all the Greek schools of thought I mentioned above, what are the Egyption rivals and why are they better? If there aren't any, what is the point of learning Ancient Egyption.

"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2013 9:18:53 AM
At 4/24/2013 5:33:24 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
In addition, Greek philosophy is functionally worthless. It involves people making speculative claims with essentially no evidence . . . You should just study modern philosophy.

Hmm, dubious, but I understand why you would say that.

So is it still your contention that one should study Ancient Egyption to learn about Ancient Egyption ideas?