Jump to topic:

Education reform

Cowboy0108
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2013 11:13:41 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I believe that education should be simplified so that the core classes teach things useful for more careers like public speaking and writing as opposed to reading shakespeare. In addition, I believe that schools should increase specialization. I.E. Engineering should offer architecture and mechanical engineering and business should offer accounting and marketing. Opportuinities for college credit should also be given in these career course. In other words, add trade school components to high school education(not ALL courses would be offered, just more).
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2013 11:33:03 AM
It's easy to say that education should be reformed.

Much harder to get through the beaureacy and the teacher unions to make these reforms.

Schools aren't about learning to prepare you for the real world.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2013 4:16:45 PM
At 4/22/2013 3:46:09 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Education should be democratically run by the students.

Perhaps not democratically run, but I think a cooperative-based learning system could be highly effective. Some student input could be useful Although, as I said before, saying the system should be reformed is obvious. It actually being reformed is another thing.
Open borders debate:
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2013 4:19:08 PM
At 4/22/2013 4:16:45 PM, darkkermit wrote:

Perhaps not democratically run, but I think a cooperative-based learning system could be highly effective. Some student input could be useful Although, as I said before, saying the system should be reformed is obvious. It actually being reformed is another thing.

Democratic schools have already been popping up for awhile. They ARE highly effective.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2013 4:23:35 PM
At 4/22/2013 4:19:08 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 4/22/2013 4:16:45 PM, darkkermit wrote:

Democratic schools have already been popping up for awhile. They ARE highly effective.

Which ones? I know there's the school in Massachusset (name is drawing a blank though). Problem is though is that its a private school, which puts a huge selective bias into play.
Open borders debate:
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2013 4:31:00 PM
At 4/22/2013 4:23:35 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Which ones? I know there's the school in Massachusset (name is drawing a blank though). Problem is though is that its a private school, which puts a huge selective bias into play.

http://en.wikipedia.org...
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2013 8:03:07 PM
At 4/22/2013 4:19:08 PM, FREEDO wrote:

Examples?
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2013 8:14:31 PM
At 4/19/2013 11:13:41 AM, Cowboy0108 wrote:
I believe that education should be simplified so that the core classes teach things useful for more careers like public speaking and writing as opposed to reading shakespeare. In addition, I believe that schools should increase specialization. I.E. Engineering should offer architecture and mechanical engineering and business should offer accounting and marketing. Opportuinities for college credit should also be given in these career course. In other words, add trade school components to high school education(not ALL courses would be offered, just more).

I don't understand. Engineering is taught in college, and there are separate degrees for Mechanical, Civil, Electrical, Aero, etc. Architecture is a separate degree. There are degree programs in Accounting, Marketing, and other aspects of business.

High school students don't have enough math or science to study engineering.

I think education for the trades is on the upswing. There are a whole lot more jobs for machinists than literature majors, and the machinists get paid better as well. Still, nearly everyone will benefit from having a standard body of cultural knowledge that includes Shakespeare, history, and other basics. Ultimately it benefits the ability to communicate.
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2013 8:16:06 PM
At 5/5/2013 8:14:31 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
At 4/19/2013 11:13:41 AM, Cowboy0108 wrote:

I don't understand. Engineering is taught in college, and there are separate degrees for Mechanical, Civil, Electrical, Aero, etc. Architecture is a separate degree. There are degree programs in Accounting, Marketing, and other aspects of business.

High school students don't have enough math or science to study engineering.

Don't be silly. Engineers just fix cars right?