Jump to topic:

the positive and negative sides of exams

Togzhan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2013 9:50:57 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
All of exams have positive and negative sides. Can you help with sharing information about IGCSE and SAT??? Or were there fusses around these exams?
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2013 11:46:25 AM
The Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) was intended to identify students with a lot of ability who had not learned as much as students who had been fortunate in attending much better high schools. The idea originated in Harvard in the 1930's. The SAT originated as a straight IQ test, with (math score + verbal score)/10 = IQ score. The simple math conversion to IQ didn't work out quite as planned, but conversion tables were published to look up IQ from SAT. Separate achievement tests were used to determine how much was learned in individual subjects.

The test was fundamentally changed in 1992, and since then it has not been a straight IQ test. That diminishes it's usefulness as an assessment of ability. It's controversial as to whether it is now a better predictor of academic performance. Still, the advantage of a standardized test is that it provides a measure of the student that is independent of the individual high school's standards for academic performance.

The US has been suffering from grade inflation since the early 90s, wherein higher test scores have been given for the same performance. Tests are easier. Funding by government is sometimes tied to test scores, so educational institutions make tests easier. My impression is that the SAT has suffered grade inflation, but probably less than state tests.
Cowboy0108
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2013 11:08:42 AM
Personally, I am against exams. All they do is make a student want to cram for hours to pass the test. As soon as the test ends, the student forgets. Tests/exams do not show how well a teacher or professor actually teaches nor shows how well a student can perform. Tests are just about memorizing the facts, not relating the knowledge to life or an actual purpose. I believe that they should be replaced by essays, projects, and presentations. This is particularly true for English, Social Studies, and Science. These projects should be about relating them to a useful real life scenario.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2013 9:52:40 PM
"the positive and negative sides of exams'

That would be pass>fail
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Subha007
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2013 6:52:27 AM
I am against exams. Theses days, exams are just for getting grades but not testing ourselves. Once a person writes an exam, he forgets everything the next moment even though he gets good grades. If that's the case then what's point in writing an exam??
Some people, the moment they hear there is an exam they get scared and forget everything. What I'm trying to say is that exam is not the way to make sure a person has got the complete knowledge. More and more exams should be conducted until a student can score 100 marks. This way he gets knowledge, does not forget it (as he wrote it many times) and gets 100% marks.
CanWeKnow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2013 12:53:38 AM
-_- why do you think we have exams?

No, i'm serious.

Do you think they are to help you learn?
Do you think they are used to point out your deficiencies?
Do you think they were supposed to be easy?

Maybe the idea of exams originated as a tool teachers could use to help point out to students what area's they are lacking in, but that's not the purpose of an exam anymore.

Exams are measuring tools used at the School, District, State, and Federal levels to analyze performance of students. Someone important in an office chair tells someone else in an office chair who tells someone else in an office chair that they want quantifiable data to to give back to someone in an office chair who will give that back to someone in an office chair who will give that back to someone important in an office chair who will tell the public that our education system is O.K. because we have 5.1% better scores this year.

It's the quantification of progress.

Progress, which is very hard to gauge accurately in a cheap and efficient way on such a large scale.

A teacher who works on on one with a student daily can tell you accurately how good that student has grasped a content.

An exam provides the evidence needed by the politicians and school administrators to validate their job's necessity.

Simple as that.