Total Posts:10|Showing Posts:1-10
Jump to topic:

SATs and SAT IIs

000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2013 10:13:23 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
How much of a deal-breaker is a series of bad SAT IIs? This is probably a stupid question, but do the colleges just look to see if you have them, or must you do very well on them too?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2013 10:23:30 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Depends on the college. More elite colleges take sat 2 into consideration some care about it more than the sat 1. Some dont require sat 2.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2013 10:26:04 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/28/2013 10:23:30 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Depends on the college. More elite colleges take sat 2 into consideration some care about it more than the sat 1. Some dont require sat 2.

Is it the elite colleges that care about it more than sat1? What about harvard and Columbia specifically?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
thett3
Posts: 14,338
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2013 10:29:55 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/28/2013 10:26:04 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 5/28/2013 10:23:30 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Depends on the college. More elite colleges take sat 2 into consideration some care about it more than the sat 1. Some dont require sat 2.

Is it the elite colleges that care about it more than sat1? What about harvard and Columbia specifically?

I dont think they really assign higher/lower values to many of the parts of the application, its dependent on each candidate. The reason they require you to do subject tests is because they want to get as good of a reading on you and your abilities without actually knowing you...so I wouldn't expect bad SAT II's to be a deal breaker for an otherwise good candidate
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 6:19:12 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/28/2013 10:13:23 PM, 000ike wrote:
How much of a deal-breaker is a series of bad SAT IIs? This is probably a stupid question, but do the colleges just look to see if you have them, or must you do very well on them too?

Just retake them if you need to.
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 6:20:04 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/28/2013 10:26:04 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 5/28/2013 10:23:30 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Depends on the college. More elite colleges take sat 2 into consideration some care about it more than the sat 1. Some dont require sat 2.

Is it the elite colleges that care about it more than sat1? What about harvard and Columbia specifically?

No, they don't care about it "more" than the SAT I. It's just another part of the application.
Saint_of_Me
Posts: 2,402
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2015 11:18:52 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I got a 1500 on my SAT's before entering the University of Texas. I began as a Physics major but ended-up getting my degree in Psych.

I only missed three questions on the Math portion of the test. But yet, I still found the math we had to do in Physics to be daunting, and needed a tutor a couple of times! LOL.

Here is an interesting list of celebrity SAT scores..............

http://www.bestcollegesonline.com...
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
UndeniableReality
Posts: 1,897
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2015 8:29:51 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/1/2015 11:18:52 AM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
I got a 1500 on my SAT's before entering the University of Texas. I began as a Physics major but ended-up getting my degree in Psych.

I only missed three questions on the Math portion of the test. But yet, I still found the math we had to do in Physics to be daunting, and needed a tutor a couple of times! LOL.

Here is an interesting list of celebrity SAT scores..............

http://www.bestcollegesonline.com...

Isn't 1500 exactly average on the SAT? By "exactly average", I mean 50'th percentile.

I don't know much about the SAT, since we don't have that in my country.

https://secure-media.collegeboard.org...
UndeniableReality
Posts: 1,897
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2015 8:30:41 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/3/2015 8:29:51 PM, UndeniableReality wrote:
At 6/1/2015 11:18:52 AM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
I got a 1500 on my SAT's before entering the University of Texas. I began as a Physics major but ended-up getting my degree in Psych.

I only missed three questions on the Math portion of the test. But yet, I still found the math we had to do in Physics to be daunting, and needed a tutor a couple of times! LOL.

Here is an interesting list of celebrity SAT scores..............

http://www.bestcollegesonline.com...

Isn't 1500 exactly average on the SAT? By "exactly average", I mean 50'th percentile.

I don't know much about the SAT, since we don't have that in my country.

https://secure-media.collegeboard.org...

Maybe that's only a portion of the test.