Learning German in 1 Month

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 4:00:57 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I am setting myself to the challenge.

Any good resources you have? I've learned that it's good to generally stay away from programs and software. Language learning is most natural when it's based more on listening than on memorizing. Notice that we never give babies English lessons. We just expect them to catch on. That's because it actually works better. Although it also requires reinforcement with a little study. I'll be doing all I can to get myself into thinking German and focusing on knowing sentences rather than endlessly regurgitating words on flashcards. With the exception of the most basic words. The top 25 most used words make up some ridiculous percentage of a language. Once you get those down, it's a lot easier to move on.

But most of all, I think my greatest tool is knowing how to get obsessed with it. I think I got this.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 4:14:10 AM
Sounds like the Pimsleur method.
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 12:22:04 PM
I know that when I was learning french, albeit this was when I was young, integration was the key. Don't just start trying to learn German, start living German. Start listening to German music, start watching German television, and start reading German books. When you're going to write something, write it out in German, then write it out in English. That's the best advice I'v got, hope it helps.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 12:46:29 PM
This gives you the words in english subtext. And the speaker speaks so loudly and clearly, and using such strong body language that its easy to follow.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2013 3:17:06 PM
At 5/31/2013 12:22:04 PM, muzebreak wrote:
I know that when I was learning french, albeit this was when I was young, integration was the key. Don't just start trying to learn German, start living German. Start listening to German music, start watching German television, and start reading German books. When you're going to write something, write it out in German, then write it out in English. That's the best advice I'v got, hope it helps.

Exactly.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2013 10:01:01 PM
At 5/31/2013 4:14:10 AM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote:

I believe that's the brand I used to learn Spanish. I went to Barnes & Noble and bought a 6-CD box for $20. I worked through each one, and was really impressing myself with how well I was doing. Then after the sixth CD, they wanted $200 for the next 20 CDs. My interest waned after that :/

I probably could get my hands on free stuff, but the real kicker for me was that I had nobody to speak it with. I have a hard time believing anybody is going to pick up any language unless they have somebody in their life that they can talk to every day using it. Even languages you learn very well will leave you if you don't use them repetitively. I STRONGLY suggest that you incorporate some sort of daily conversational practice with somebody who knows or is learning the language, otherwise in two months this will be a distant memory. I had Mexicans at work (the bussers at the restaurant I used to wait at) that would converse with me when I was learning the language, but all they would use was obscenities and now I can't speak conversational Spanish but I can call you an ass4ole and describe genitalia in almost as many ways I can in English.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 4:45:04 PM
It's been about a week and I've likely learned thousands of new sentences in German. I'm pretty satisfied with myself.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2013 2:30:24 PM
At 6/6/2013 4:45:04 PM, FREEDO wrote:
It's been about a week and I've likely learned thousands of new sentences in German. I'm pretty satisfied with myself.

That's great. When you're done, let us know what you learned about learning a language that rapidly, what works the best and how to maintain interest.

By the way, why German?
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2013 2:35:03 PM
At 6/3/2013 10:01:01 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:

I believe that's the brand I used to learn Spanish. I went to Barnes & Noble and bought a 6-CD box for $20. I worked through each one, and was really impressing myself with how well I was doing. Then after the sixth CD, they wanted $200 for the next 20 CDs. My interest waned after that :/

I probably could get my hands on free stuff, but the real kicker for me was that I had nobody to speak it with. I have a hard time believing anybody is going to pick up any language unless they have somebody in their life that they can talk to every day using it. Even languages you learn very well will leave you if you don't use them repetitively. I STRONGLY suggest that you incorporate some sort of daily conversational practice with somebody who knows or is learning the language, otherwise in two months this will be a distant memory. I had Mexicans at work (the bussers at the restaurant I used to wait at) that would converse with me when I was learning the language, but all they would use was obscenities and now I can't speak conversational Spanish but I can call you an ass4ole and describe genitalia in almost as many ways I can in English.

LOL, I learned some Spanish the same way. I don't know how to speak it, but I know that "pinchy pendera puto, kita la verga quay" means something bad.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
mathdebator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2013 10:19:15 AM
The best Spanish teacher I ever had just let us talk in class. Sometime the whole class would consist of random Spanish conversations about flying monkeys. Eventually the students caught on and just began speaking it. Later a small 5 minute lesson was taught on a grammar subject, and the students went "ah! I already know that because I've been speaking it all the time!" We would do similar things for reading. Random people in the class take time reading a small novel out loud in Spanish. If there's something we don't know, the teacher would explain it using Spanish we already knew.

Going into my second and third years of Spanish, I have pretty much learned nothing new except some very specific grammar & structure rules. No actual Spanish speaking and comprehension :(

So the best way to learn German would be to skydive into Germany with nothing and be left to adapt.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 10:53:23 AM
Also change your iPhone (or other smartphone) language to German. Keep going, FREEDO. The path to mastery is a long one. Stay with this for an entire year, and I'm sure you will be extremely satisfied with the results.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2013 7:15:37 PM
Hebrew is f*cking hard to learn. This is because the vowels consist solely of diacritic marks around regular letters. If you don't already know the word, you can't read it without them. Unfortunately those marks are only used in children's books.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
Hanver
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2013 7:22:31 PM
I grew up in Switzerland and didn't know a word German (because I was raised with English) as I came in to Kindergarten.
It took me about half a year to be able to communicate in German and took me about 4 years to learn fluent German.
An additional year to learn Swiss German if you're interested.
But that's just me, I'm bad with languages.
Some of my friend learned German in a couple months.
But learning German in 1 Month?
Please impress me.
orangemayhem
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2013 9:37:40 AM
I'd recommend Earworms CDs / downloads. They set the vocab to music and play you "songs" which are basically the vocab repeated in English and the target language. It really sticks in your head, I used it for Italian. I can still hear the songs now... *nostalgic fuzziness*
I'm back (ish).
Beverlee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2013 1:17:16 PM
You can totally learn Beavis and Butthead level German in a month.

Cool mental trick for making sense of german grammar: Germans talk inside out, like Yoda. So, they German speak. More than one month, it will take, if German you are to learn.

AAAND they compulsively say "mal and "doch," when there are no good reasons to drop these words. They seriously can't say three sentences without just saying mal or doch. These are like when we say y'know? or the F-Bomb. I don't know all the rules for mal and doch - but just say them for no reason when you are talking. You will sound native.
Calyn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2013 12:11:06 AM

Disingenuous Endorsement:

I love the Pimsleur Method, you should buy it.