Jump to topic:

School Captain Speeches

Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 12:17:29 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
The people on DDO are often learned and eloquent. Many are on their school debating teams, mock trial teams etc. I imagine many are good rhetoricians as well. I imagine many have given their school captain speech and learnt from it. I ask, how would you appeal to your classmates? What specific experiences have you had in peer persuasion in leadership positions? For those who are in university now -- what did you do come school elections?

I'm intending to run for the male school captain position at my school. There"s academic benefits (some university award bonus points for such a role in my state) , career benefits (resume) and leadership benefits. It"s an attractive proposition, and I see myself as a halfway decent candidate " I have some legitimate, achievable policy ideas for educational reform. As to my chances of actually getting the role... I"d be one of the best speakers, and I can definitely put on a congenial air, plus I"ve done school activites (mock trial, chess, debating etc.), but if the myth of "popularity" were to reign true I would stand little chance. Most importantly though, one should try and walk through as many doors as possible, which is why I'm going to attempt to do so.

I would be glad for all feedback and all experiences that DDO has to share. My thanks in advance.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2013 7:55:25 PM
What is this school captain you speak of?
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2013 1:35:18 AM
At 6/17/2013 7:55:25 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
What is this school captain you speak of?

Alright, the 'school captain' is effectively the foremost leadership role within the entirety of the student body at a school. The person is the school's representative at various functions as well. Consider it the student 'president' of a school, except without very many powers and that you've got 'advisors' - other leadership positions as well. Basically, how to appeal to a mixture of peers and teachers in a ballot is what I'm after.

Never thought that it might be different in the US...
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 4:26:49 PM
At 6/16/2013 12:17:29 AM, Logic_on_rails wrote:
The people on DDO are often learned and eloquent. Many are on their school debating teams, mock trial teams etc. I imagine many are good rhetoricians as well. I imagine many have given their school captain speech and learnt from it. I ask, how would you appeal to your classmates? What specific experiences have you had in peer persuasion in leadership positions? For those who are in university now -- what did you do come school elections?

I'm intending to run for the male school captain position at my school. There"s academic benefits (some university award bonus points for such a role in my state) , career benefits (resume) and leadership benefits. It"s an attractive proposition, and I see myself as a halfway decent candidate " I have some legitimate, achievable policy ideas for educational reform. As to my chances of actually getting the role... I"d be one of the best speakers, and I can definitely put on a congenial air, plus I"ve done school activites (mock trial, chess, debating etc.), but if the myth of "popularity" were to reign true I would stand little chance. Most importantly though, one should try and walk through as many doors as possible, which is why I'm going to attempt to do so.

I would be glad for all feedback and all experiences that DDO has to share. My thanks in advance.

In the US, this is the student body president.

IMHO, you can take a command and control perspective on this. I.e., ensure you know friends who know friends, etc. It's all about the network.

In my school, the student body president for 3 years running wasn't known to be the best or the brightest, and wasn't known for being outgoing or a great speaker, either. He just knew the right people.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?