Jump to topic:

Public schools in America

Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2013 9:34:05 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
How do public schools work in America? What are the laws that govern their running? Do you have licencing? do the schools have some autonomy?

Is their a link that can answer these questions?

It is pretty urgent, so even if you can't explain, a link would suffice.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2013 10:28:37 AM
There's an acreditation system that evaluates whether your considered a legit school or not. Even public schools have to go through the accrediation system and some public schools have failed acreditation. You need a license as well. Also need to register based on your tax-status as well (whether private or no-profit).
Probably a lot of licenses considering the scope that schools cover: academic clubs and sports teams need to register to be able to compete against other teams. Any business has to get a bunch of licenses anyhow, so schools wouldn't be an exception (need to have an employment registration). You need a license to teach at a public school, although at charter schools (private schools subsidized by the state) one doesn't need a teacher's license.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2013 10:35:22 AM
At 6/18/2013 10:28:37 AM, darkkermit wrote:
There's an acreditation system that evaluates whether your considered a legit school or not. Even public schools have to go through the accrediation system and some public schools have failed acreditation. You need a license as well. Also need to register based on your tax-status as well (whether private or no-profit).
Probably a lot of licenses considering the scope that schools cover: academic clubs and sports teams need to register to be able to compete against other teams. Any business has to get a bunch of licenses anyhow, so schools wouldn't be an exception (need to have an employment registration). You need a license to teach at a public school, although at charter schools (private schools subsidized by the state) one doesn't need a teacher's license.

Interesting. Are charter schools considered better than the public schools? (I would assume they were)
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2013 10:36:06 AM
Oh, this is public schools. I can give more details.

How it works is that its mainly run by the local government. However, the federal government provides some funding based on test evaluations. A lot of it has to do with "No child left behind" legislation.

The curriculum is largely controlled by the state government though, with some control via the federal government as well.

There's what called "districts" of schools. Each school district has a superintendent who is basically acts like the executive.
Open borders debate:
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2013 10:42:47 AM
At 6/18/2013 10:36:06 AM, darkkermit wrote:

How it works is that its mainly run by the local government. However, the federal government provides some funding based on test evaluations. A lot of it has to do with "No child left behind" legislation.

So a school with a better student performance gets more funds? Does test evaluations equate to student performance?

The curriculum is largely controlled by the state government though, with some control via the federal government as well.

Is there a heterogeneity in the course structure in different states?

There's what called "districts" of schools. Each school district has a superintendent who is basically acts like the executive.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2013 11:07:32 AM
At 6/18/2013 10:42:47 AM, Cermank wrote:
At 6/18/2013 10:36:06 AM, darkkermit wrote:

So a school with a better student performance gets more funds? Does test evaluations equate to student performance?

Yes.

Is there a heterogeneity in the course structure in different states?

Somewhat, although the basic classes are taught: math, humanities, literate, and science. Schools also have electives as well, so those vary between school. There are also classes known as "AP classes", which are college-credit courses that are standardized and everyone in the nation takes the same exam in order to get credit.

Open borders debate:
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2013 11:55:23 AM
This is the best advice- don't go to school in America.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2013 12:55:27 PM
Theses are some of the questions I am coming up with, so if anyone can answer them, it'd be appreciated.

Can a student who has completed secondary education (12th grade, I presume), enter the workforce in a middle paying job? Like, is there vocational higher secondary education?
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2013 1:12:38 PM
At 6/18/2013 12:01:19 PM, Cermank wrote:
At 6/18/2013 11:55:23 AM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:

Why?

Because they're useless. That's as basic as I can put it, as a veteran of the American education system. Seriously, I knew a girl who asked me if Israel was in Europe.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2013 1:15:41 PM
At 6/18/2013 1:12:38 PM, Eitan_Zohar wrote:

Why?

Because they're useless. That's as basic as I can put it, as a veteran of the American education system. Seriously, I knew a girl who asked me if Israel was in Europe.

Maybe she was trying to come onto you -_-
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2013 3:24:09 PM
At 6/18/2013 12:55:27 PM, Cermank wrote:
Theses are some of the questions I am coming up with, so if anyone can answer them, it'd be appreciated.

Can a student who has completed secondary education (12th grade, I presume), enter the workforce in a middle paying job? Like, is there vocational higher secondary education?

Well, straight out of secondary education, no. In fact, nowadays, it is often said that you're lucky to even enter the workforce period with just secondary education.

That being said, there are technical/vocational higher education institutions where you can get vocational education.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 4:01:45 PM

Why?

It depends upon the school. In my high school, 10% of the graduates attended Berkeley, a top tier university (I attended high school in California). Many, many more than that were actually accepted. The AP program was rigorous and widespread. We had over 150 students score higher than a 4.0 GPA.

So, like in anything else in life, find the right ____, and things will work better. In this case, find the right high school.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2013 10:03:01 PM
At 6/19/2013 4:01:45 PM, wrichcirw wrote:

Why?

It depends upon the school. In my high school, 10% of the graduates attended Berkeley, a top tier university (I attended high school in California). Many, many more than that were actually accepted. The AP program was rigorous and widespread. We had over 150 students score higher than a 4.0 GPA.

So, like in anything else in life, find the right ____, and things will work better. In this case, find the right high school.

Yeah pretty much this. This is basically my HS experience except you can sub in UT and A&M for Berkeley (they aren't as good, but not too far off).
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2013 6:20:17 AM
At 6/18/2013 12:55:27 PM, Cermank wrote:

They can, but it takes special personal skill, connections, or entrepreneurial spirit. WSA, for example, is either in college or going to college, but he has his own business already.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 12:09:56 AM
Interesting. What if you don't like a teacher in your high school? Do you have to evaluate your teacher once you pass out of the class? (Ther's a similar system in college, I believe.)
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 12:40:58 AM
There is no forced evaluation (in my experience). However, you can always complain to the administration, but that doesn't do very much good unless the teacher is in his or her first two years of employment. With the teacher union out here, if a teacher is employed for two full years, that teacher then becomes tenured.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
mathdebator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 4:16:59 PM
The system where I live consists of building 1 new school every year to accommodate a population explosion.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 7:22:47 PM
At 6/28/2013 12:09:56 AM, Cermank wrote:
Interesting. What if you don't like a teacher in your high school? Do you have to evaluate your teacher once you pass out of the class? (Ther's a similar system in college, I believe.)

Not really. Some teachers ask for evaluations for themselves to see how they can improve, but in terms of whether a teacher actually stays on staff or not, students have no say. And frankly (not to sound uber conservative, but it's true), teachers' unions have been able to secure so much power that really it's nearly impossible to fire a teacher, unless they have committed a crime or something.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
CanWeKnow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2013 4:35:10 PM
I'm going to be a Senior this year at my high school. I pay some attention to the school politics going on in my District. Just before the end of this year my district's governing board dissolved ties with the teacher's union. They also took away some of the stipends that were previously promised to teachers. My favorite teacher lost ~$1.6k in his stipend.

Lots of teaching staff have quit with a public announcement at board meetings as well. Some of the best teachers I have ever had are taking opportunities elsewhere.

We have also had a lot of sex scandals among the administration staff. A high school administrator basically had his own harem and frequently snuck out during school hours to have a romp in the sheets with co workers. Much to the disbelief of the public, his contract was renewed under the condition that he sign a paper promising to be good.

There's also a lot of talk about the local Mormon population having a strong influence. One of the superintendents is a high-ranking Mormon and a few of the Board members are of the same religion as well.

Overall, just typical Politics. I wish that as a student I could do more, but the voices of my peers and I have little influence over district affairs.