Total Posts:44|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Should children study the Harry Potter books?

DebateGirl221
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2013 9:47:33 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
You know how in English lessons, whether it be in Secondary or Primary school, children read and discuss books? Well, what I'd like to know is, whether they should study the Harry Potter books. Maybe not so much in Primary School, but in Secondary school.

What do you think???
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2013 9:54:52 AM
It's an interesting idea, I've never heard it before. Although I don't see a major reason why not, as a HUGE Harry Potter fan, I have to question what literary merit Harry Potter has.

Even though I'm one of the crazy people on DDO who thinks EVERYTHING has artistic and literary worth, I will admit some of it might not be worth spending a class analyzing, and Harry Potter is one of them.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2013 10:10:18 AM
At 7/25/2013 9:54:52 AM, DetectableNinja wrote:
It's an interesting idea, I've never heard it before. Although I don't see a major reason why not, as a HUGE Harry Potter fan, I have to question what literary merit Harry Potter has.

Even though I'm one of the crazy people on DDO who thinks EVERYTHING has artistic and literary worth, I will admit some of it might not be worth spending a class analyzing, and Harry Potter is one of them.

There was a small scale study at Langcaster university showed that preschool children who watched 15 minute clips from The Sorcerer's Stone with magic scored significantly better in three areas of creativity than children who watched clips without the magical content. I can only assume that this study, if it holds any validity, would have similar effects through the books. Also, regardless of it has much literary value, it could certainly aid in teaching storytelling techniques. There's something called the hero's cycle or the hero's journey, or something like that that the saga follows relatively well.

That being said, I don't know how good it would be in schools, as it is a very long series, where the whole series is a cycle of exposition/character development, rising action, plot, falling action, and climax, rather than each individual book. Though I wouldn't mind one or two books making it into the classroom, I think that the time spent on the series could more adequately be spent on other books.

Sidenote- my high school has a Harry Potter class haha
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2013 10:38:26 AM
I would say yes. I've never read anything else to cover so much, or so much of grave relevance anyway. Every piece of imagination in the series pertains to real life, and even that setting itself, in imagination, is magical. People will retreat to fantasy to protect themselves, and there they'll find J.K. Rowling, a fountain of the greatest sense, offering an understanding to the madness. The series is to meet children where they will retreat to in fear during their early lives, and I'm not sure there's any better way of reaching them than to join them.
THE_OPINIONATOR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2013 11:38:26 AM
At 7/25/2013 9:47:33 AM, DebateGirl221 wrote:
You know how in English lessons, whether it be in Secondary or Primary school, children read and discuss books? Well, what I'd like to know is, whether they should study the Harry Potter books. Maybe not so much in Primary School, but in Secondary school.

What do you think???

Well usualy in English you study major liturature from history, Harry Potter isn't that major in liturature.
My Blog: Life Through The Eyes of a Christian

http://bloggingforjchrist.blogspot.com...

Life Through The Eyes of a Christian Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com...
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2013 12:22:54 PM
I think children could definitely study the Harry Potter Books. I think every year of schooling since the 12th grade, I've related some school work to Harry Potter.

In Grade 12 English we did an ISU where we had to read a book, and based on that book, answer the question "are humans born good or evil?" I read Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince and wrote a 7-page essay and did a presentation, and I think I got one of the highest marks, if not the highest.

In The Meaning of Life I wrote a piece on several philosophers, and argued Sartre using comparisons between Harry and Voldemort.

In The Psychology of Death and Dying I wrote a paper on the portrayal of death in children's books, using Harry Potter, and comparing it to other children's books (fiction and non-fiction) and my evaluation of them based on Piaget's stages of cognitive development.

I'm sure there are other examples lol
yang.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2013 12:26:41 PM
At 7/25/2013 11:38:26 AM, THE_OPINIONATOR wrote:

Well usualy in English you study major liturature from history, Harry Potter isn't that major in liturature.

Not necessarily. Throughout my schooling, we did both "major literature from history" and modern works.

If you ask anyone, I'm sure a ton of sixth graders (or around that age) read The Giver. That was published in 1993.
yang.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2013 12:31:38 PM
Plus Harry Potter will teach kids all they need to know about discrimination :p How could you not support teaching it in schools?
yang.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2013 12:41:08 PM
I have been living life as Neville Longbottom, torturing myself that I might believe the world is wholly good. Neville's accidents aren't really accidents, and I could just go on like this for pretty much the entirety of the series, but here J.K Rowling addresses so significant a part of my life that I've not seen by any other. And again she picked the perfect setting for addressing what she did, I think. Think libertarianism, libertarians.
TheEpicMinecrafter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2013 4:09:32 PM
I think studying Harry Potter books is a very good idea. It has quite a lot of vocabulary and I also had fun reading the Harry Potter books. Whenever I have any free time, I always read books and I usually read Harry Potter.
William
MrJosh
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2013 4:32:49 PM
I would think it could be a good idea. They aren't terribly difficult to read, and the fact that they are current may help with student interest. Also, as an American, I think a little exposure to the English (British) language and culture would do a fair many of my countrymen some good.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2013 5:10:48 PM
At 7/25/2013 9:47:33 AM, DebateGirl221 wrote:

What do you think???

Very interesting question. From a pure practical standpoint the Harry Potter books are probably too long.

If one is studying literary features such as metaphor, simile, foreshadowing, symbolic meanings etc, i think it is a great idea to use books that more kids can relate to.

You take a book like the Great Gatsby or even the Catcher in the Rye and they are so boring and over analyzed, it is a small majority that actually enjoy them. (No offense to anyone who enjoys them, I'm just proclaiming that it is not the norm and turns more kids off from reading than it turns on to reading.)
Cowboy0108
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2013 6:38:14 PM
I think students should be required to read so many hours a month. However, I believe that teachers should not choose the material to read, that it would instead be chosen by the student. If a child chooses to read Harry Potter, so be it. If a child doesn't want to, so be it.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2013 6:47:40 PM

I think no fiction novel is worth spending a class analyzing, frankly. Unless you're learning to be a fiction writer, why should made-up stories be studied?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2013 6:54:34 PM
At 7/26/2013 6:47:40 PM, 000ike wrote:

I think no fiction novel is worth spending a class analyzing, frankly. Unless you're learning to be a fiction writer, why should made-up stories be studied?

Fantasy should be studied for its penetrative ability. Again, people retreat to fantasy when they're kids to stave off fear, and then aren't easily reached by anything else. Harry Potter should definitely be studied, for it is the fantasy series, and lays such foundations for later life that it's just amazing.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2013 7:01:17 PM
At 7/26/2013 6:54:34 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
At 7/26/2013 6:47:40 PM, 000ike wrote:

Fantasy should be studied for its penetrative ability. Again, people retreat to fantasy when they're kids to stave off fear, and then aren't easily reached by anything else. Harry Potter should definitely be studied, for it is the fantasy series, and lays such foundations for later life that it's just amazing.

Neh, I'm not convinced. Fiction is silly. Up until I took AP lang comp, all my english classes were basically about reading some ridiculous popular classic or another, "analyzing it", writing essays about it, etc. And at the end of the class I'd feel like I just seriously wasted my time. There's no such thing as learning life lessons from a book. There is no such thing as life lessons in general - a subjective interpretation is not a lesson.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2013 7:04:43 PM
000ike you didn't have a very standard upbringing dude. Most kids would be rather intimidated by your language, etc. Fantasy is a good place for them, away from reality and all the monsters that live here.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2013 7:16:06 PM
At 7/26/2013 7:10:39 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
I've never read any of the Harry Potter books. I'm a bad person, right?

me neither. I tried to read Prisoner of Azkaban in 2nd grade but got bored 100 pages in. Never picked up an HP book after that

If you haven't watched any Harry Potter movies, though, then you really are a bad person
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2013 7:19:28 PM
At 7/26/2013 7:04:43 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
000ike you didn't have a very standard upbringing dude. Most kids would be rather intimidated by your language, etc. Fantasy is a good place for them, away from reality and all the monsters that live here.

this again,.. you don't know my upbringing badger, and there's nothing intimidating about my language.

Anyway, I'm just saying that there's nothing legitimate to analyze in fiction (unless you want to be a fiction writer) and it honestly shouldn't be taught in school.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2013 7:24:12 PM
At 7/26/2013 7:19:28 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 7/26/2013 7:04:43 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:

this again,.. you don't know my upbringing badger, and there's nothing intimidating about my language.

dude, it's not hard to know you had two lovely intellectual parents or something like that. You love classical music, play all those instruments, are wordy as f*ck, etc. Most kids find all that stuff intimidating. It's just more stuff for them to fail at. But what harm could fantasy, which they're so used to, hold for them?

Anyway, I'm just saying that there's nothing legitimate to analyze in fiction (unless you want to be a fiction writer) and it honestly shouldn't be taught in school.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2013 7:26:08 PM
Maybe you were brought up in a orphanage looking out your window at a book and musical instruments store or something though, and you craved those powers that other kids were being offered over you :P
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2013 7:33:46 PM
At 7/26/2013 7:30:32 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 7/26/2013 7:11:39 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Nah, just misguided.

My friends reference it WAYY too much >.<

Me being one of them, right? :D
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2013 7:50:44 PM
At 7/26/2013 7:33:46 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
At 7/26/2013 7:30:32 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 7/26/2013 7:11:39 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Nah, just misguided.

My friends reference it WAYY too much >.<

Me being one of them, right? :D

yes lol
ObiWan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2013 7:52:48 PM
Which book/s would you study? Surely you wouldn't want to study and analyse of 7 of them? I think they might make an interesting study for made secondary school students, but not for higher level students studying literature.
These are not the droids you're looking for.
ObiWan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2013 7:54:32 PM
It wouldn't definitely make classes a lot more interesting for student who have maybe struggled to enjoy literature before though.

I can't see any reason not to give it a try.
These are not the droids you're looking for.