Jump to topic:

That commonapp essay

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2013 8:50:40 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Alright, so commonapp as well as every other college supplement opens up in 2 days. I don't want to worry about this stuff in the middle of school, so I'm trying to get it all out of the way right now. How in the world do you write an admission essay and what have been your experiences doing so? I mean, I have an unusual event that I can write about for commonapp, because I know admission officers like that stuff, but how do you tie it into an essay that's impressive to them?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2013 9:05:13 PM
I found the process of writing app essays really enjoyable and I loved reading those of my friends. Most people do what you're doing: find a memorable experience and just talk it up. Make it a story of growth, subtly hint at what an asset you'll be, throw in some big words, yada yada and you're probably good to go. Try not to include famous quotes, though.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2013 9:09:12 PM
Well, maybe if you've read those "waste-of-time" novels in class, you'd know more about writing interestingly.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2013 9:13:51 PM
At 7/30/2013 9:09:12 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
Well, maybe if you've read those "waste-of-time" novels in class, you'd know more about writing interestingly.

firstly, I did read all of those waste-of-time novels and know they wasted my time because I read them and analysed them, and took tests on them, and wrote essays about them. Secondly, I know how to write interestingly; I'm asking for clarity on the specific attributes that distinguish a common application essay, whose purpose is very different from that of a normal essay - and whose characteristics must correspondingly differ.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2013 1:51:46 PM
Here's a stupid question that I really should know, but.... is it Nineteenth-Century, Nineteenth-century, nineteenth-century, Nineteenth Century, or nineteenth century?
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2013 6:53:04 AM
At 9/7/2013 1:51:46 PM, 000ike wrote:
Here's a stupid question that I really should know, but.... is it Nineteenth-Century, Nineteenth-century, nineteenth-century, Nineteenth Century, or nineteenth century?

There's probably no reason to capitalize the words unless they're part of a course name or other title. If they appear in the regular flow of text, there's no reason for a hyphen: "She wrote in the early nineteenth century."

If, however, they are used as a compound modifier, use a hyphen:
"She is the most interesting figure in nineteenth-century literature."
or
"She is a mid-nineteenth-century author."
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2013 2:11:24 PM
At 9/17/2013 6:51:53 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
You're welcome: http://www.scribd.com...

I've already seen that pdf and written my commonapp. You're a few weeks late :P , but thanks anyway.