wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2013 2:46:44 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Some good advice for the preponderance of high-school students on this website:

http://www.forbes.com...

It may or may not apply to the majority of people here. I think most of the folks here are pretty level-headed. Still, just in case anyone is missing one or two aspects, there is always room for improvement, myself included.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2013 9:10:32 AM
I will add one though to this list.

Notice this list is created by an employer. If you want to work for the employer and move up the ranks by doing good for your employer, follow the list and you have 90% of the people beat and you will have a marvelous career working 50 to 70 hour weeks for your employer.

If you add these steps then you can find happiness and all the other BS will fall in place.

1. First and foremost, save money. Unless you are lucky enough to pick the right career out of the box, you will need money to make a career change once you will figure out what you will like.

Going out drinking and having fun in the early 20's is great until you realize you are 37 and don't enjoy your job and have a mortgage, two car payments, and tens of thousands of dollars of credit card debt. You are stuck and will have a hell of a time trying to change careers at that point.

2. If you can't wake up and enjoy the thought of going to work 50% of the time or greater, you need to look into doing something different.

3. If you decide to go into business for yourself. Do it right and do a good business plan so you fully understand your risks and watch for's. If you don't odds are you are just tossing money away. With a good business plan that has been evaluated by others, go for it and you can write articles about traits your employees should have.

4. Going back to happy. Your job is at least 1/3 of your life, you have to enjoy it. Do something you enjoy. Nobody has been successful doing something they hate. Everyone has stuff they have to do that they hate, but as long as you enjoy what you do overall, it will get you though the BS.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2013 3:16:59 PM
Advice is on-the-whole good, but I HATE HATE HATE the attitude. It stinks of "I have all the answers," and "20 year olds are so stupid haha" and "What I know is timeless." It's that generational bullsh1t, honestly (even though this guy is only THIRTY FOUR). I know, I KNOW for a fact that there are things that 40, 50, 60 year olds don't get either, just as there are things young people don't get either.

Sorry, sorry. I know that might sound like a petulant rant, but seriously: I just hate that sense of holier-than-thou, I-have-all-the-answers self-righteousness, coming from ANYONE.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2013 3:28:09 PM
At 8/5/2013 3:16:59 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
Advice is on-the-whole good, but I HATE HATE HATE the attitude. It stinks of "I have all the answers," and "20 year olds are so stupid haha" and "What I know is timeless." It's that generational bullsh1t, honestly (even though this guy is only THIRTY FOUR). I know, I KNOW for a fact that there are things that 40, 50, 60 year olds don't get either, just as there are things young people don't get either.

Sorry, sorry. I know that might sound like a petulant rant, but seriously: I just hate that sense of holier-than-thou, I-have-all-the-answers self-righteousness, coming from ANYONE.

lol that tone was the essence of that list. Without it, it's a bunch of empty truisms that apply to every human of every age. That condescending tone makes the list seem more didactic than it otherwise would.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2013 3:30:00 PM
At 8/5/2013 3:28:09 PM, 000ike wrote:

lol that tone was the essence of that list. Without it, it's a bunch of empty truisms that apply to every human of every age. That condescending tone makes the list seem more didactic than it otherwise would.

Then the article shouldn't have been written, then.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2013 3:30:18 PM
At 8/5/2013 3:30:00 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

exactly.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
USAPitBull63
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2013 6:02:57 PM

At 8/5/2013 3:30:18 PM, 000ike wrote:
exactly.

...concurred the pair of 17-year-olds.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2013 2:36:38 PM
At 8/5/2013 3:30:18 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/5/2013 3:30:00 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:

exactly.

That's a fair criticism given the title of the article, but I have to note that all you did was attack the writer, and agreed with the 20 points. =)

If the latter holds, then you'd agree that anyone would be better off adhering to them, yes?
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?