"His skin was stretched drum-tight over his bony frame."
No. It's imagery and perhaps hyperbole.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2009 4:18:37 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
It is. You are describing the tightness of the skin by means of comparison to a drum.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
omelet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2009 5:09:45 PM
Ragnar - if it was either a metaphor or a simile, it would be a simile. You aren't saying that the skin is a drum, you're saying it's as tight as one.

Of course, that doesn't follow the overly simplified definitions you were likely given: "comparison using like or as" and "comparison not using like or as." Those definitions are incorrect.
omelet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2009 5:19:55 PM
At 12/13/2009 5:10:18 PM, idkmybffbill wrote:
Thanks, is this an idiom?
"Now, there's still one stump in the way,"

We're not here to do your homework for you. Look up the definition of idiom, or just look at the definition your teacher gave you, and evaluate whether you think it's an idiom or not.
DevinKing
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2009 5:33:42 PM

--Yes, but only if the stump is a metaphor for something else. Otherwise it is a literal statement which is transcultural and transliteral.
After demonstrating his existence with complete certainty with the proposition "I think, therefore I am", Descartes walks into a bar, sitting next to a gorgeous priest. The priest asks Descartes, "Would you like a drink?" Descartes responds, "I think not," and then proceeds to vanish in a puff of illogic.
alto2osu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2009 11:44:38 AM
At 12/13/2009 5:09:45 PM, omelet wrote:
Ragnar - if it was either a metaphor or a simile, it would be a simile. You aren't saying that the skin is a drum, you're saying it's as tight as one.

Of course, that doesn't follow the overly simplified definitions you were likely given: "comparison using like or as" and "comparison not using like or as." Those definitions are incorrect.

That sentence is neither metaphor or simile, guys. It is just imagery. Maybe diction if you stretch.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2009 4:32:55 PM

You are an idiom!
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.