Total Posts:12|Showing Posts:1-12
Jump to topic:

First day of college...public speaking D:

THE_OPINIONATOR
Posts: 575
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2013 9:02:22 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
So today is my first day of college and I have public speaking. I'm a little nervous I mean I don't mind speaking in public but I never have foramly. On the bright side the only day I have two classes is Tuesday and that is College Transfer Success and Public Speaking. I'm ready for college but when I went to get my books it too two hours and the line was to the door. . .there were some mean people in that line . . .oh well maybe they have a debate community here I shure hope so...or atleast student government.
My Blog: Life Through The Eyes of a Christian

http://bloggingforjchrist.blogspot.com...

Life Through The Eyes of a Christian Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com...
YYW
Posts: 36,286
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2013 11:31:26 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/15/2013 9:02:22 AM, THE_OPINIONATOR wrote:
So today is my first day of college and I have public speaking. I'm a little nervous I mean I don't mind speaking in public but I never have foramly. On the bright side the only day I have two classes is Tuesday and that is College Transfer Success and Public Speaking. I'm ready for college but when I went to get my books it too two hours and the line was to the door. . .there were some mean people in that line . . .oh well maybe they have a debate community here I shure hope so...or atleast student government.

Public speaking is kind of like riding a bike, hooking up or trying to cook a gourmet meal. It can be intimidating the first few times, but you get more comfortable with it the more times you do it.

The best thing that you can do, if you have to stand up in front of people and are nervous about it, is accept the fact that you're nervous. Get your breathing under control (breathe through your diaphragm not your lungs), stand up straight in a way that's comfortable.

Don't worry about sounding dumb, because even if you do, it doesn't matter. Pace yourself with what you say, and don't be afraid of negative space (silence) when you're talking. All you're essentially doing is having a conversation with a bunch of people in a room where they're sitting down and you're standing up. Don't psych yourself out by thinking that it's any more than that.
Tsar of DDO
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2013 5:43:39 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
The fear of public speaking is among the greatest fears of most people, above cancer, snakes, and Obamacare.

"Billionaire investor Warren Buffett was "terrified" of public speaking. He was so nervous, in fact, that he would arrange and choose his college classes to avoid having to get up in front of people. He even enrolled in a public speaking course and dropped out before it even started. "I lost my nerve," he said." http://www.forbes.com...

The linked article gives tips.
slo1
Posts: 4,332
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 4:16:39 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/15/2013 9:02:22 AM, THE_OPINIONATOR wrote:
So today is my first day of college and I have public speaking. I'm a little nervous I mean I don't mind speaking in public but I never have foramly. On the bright side the only day I have two classes is Tuesday and that is College Transfer Success and Public Speaking. I'm ready for college but when I went to get my books it too two hours and the line was to the door. . .there were some mean people in that line . . .oh well maybe they have a debate community here I shure hope so...or atleast student government.

Easy peasy. If you want success, know the material you are presenting like the back of your hand. Let me put it this way. Do you struggle talking about your favorite subject with a friend? Obviously not. If you know your material, you will get through the jitters after a minute of speaking.

Plus if you show up in your underwear the first speech you give, then it really can't get worse than that for subsequent speeches, lest you pee your pants.

Good luck and and have fun with it.
YYW
Posts: 36,286
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2013 9:24:00 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/18/2013 5:43:39 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
The fear of public speaking is among the greatest fears of most people, above cancer, snakes, and Obamacare.

I don't think I would be afraid of cancer. I'd fear death that may come from it, but not cancer itself. I'm not afraid of snakes either. I hate them, and they disgust me, but I'm not afraid of them. Being bitten by a poisonous snake, though, is a different matter. Obamacare, though, might prove to be something worth fearing... especially given how it's looking like it will play out, and the impact it will have on health care until it fails.

"Billionaire investor Warren Buffett was "terrified" of public speaking. He was so nervous, in fact, that he would arrange and choose his college classes to avoid having to get up in front of people. He even enrolled in a public speaking course and dropped out before it even started. "I lost my nerve," he said." http://www.forbes.com...

The linked article gives tips.

Buffett is a nice guy, i'd imagine. Osteen, I'll leave for the birds.
Tsar of DDO
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2013 9:54:55 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/22/2013 9:24:00 PM, YYW wrote:
At 8/18/2013 5:43:39 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
The fear of public speaking is among the greatest fears of most people, above cancer, snakes, and Obamacare.

I don't think I would be afraid of cancer. I'd fear death that may come from it, but not cancer itself. I'm not afraid of snakes either. I hate them, and they disgust me, but I'm not afraid of them. Being bitten by a poisonous snake, though, is a different matter. Obamacare, though, might prove to be something worth fearing... especially given how it's looking like it will play out, and the impact it will have on health care until it fails.

When was the last time something scared you? Because you may not have a very good imagination if cancer doesn't scare you.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
YYW
Posts: 36,286
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2013 10:17:22 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/22/2013 9:54:55 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 8/22/2013 9:24:00 PM, YYW wrote:
At 8/18/2013 5:43:39 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
The fear of public speaking is among the greatest fears of most people, above cancer, snakes, and Obamacare.

I don't think I would be afraid of cancer. I'd fear death that may come from it, but not cancer itself. I'm not afraid of snakes either. I hate them, and they disgust me, but I'm not afraid of them. Being bitten by a poisonous snake, though, is a different matter. Obamacare, though, might prove to be something worth fearing... especially given how it's looking like it will play out, and the impact it will have on health care until it fails.

When was the last time something scared you? Because you may not have a very good imagination if cancer doesn't scare you.

Last winter, I almost got jumped walking home to my apartment from a friend's. That was terrifying.

I'm not saying that I know that I wouldn't feel differently if I were diagnosed with cancer, only that to the best that I am presently able, I wouldn't be scared. So, maybe I don't have a good imagination...
Tsar of DDO
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2013 11:09:55 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/22/2013 9:24:00 PM, YYW wrote:
Buffett is a nice guy, i'd imagine. Osteen, I'll leave for the birds.

Osteen is a very good speaker who has built a fortune on that ability. He creeps me out, but that's a separate issue.
YYW
Posts: 36,286
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2013 4:59:06 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/23/2013 11:09:55 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
At 8/22/2013 9:24:00 PM, YYW wrote:
Buffett is a nice guy, i'd imagine. Osteen, I'll leave for the birds.

Osteen is a very good speaker who has built a fortune on that ability. He creeps me out, but that's a separate issue.

He is a pretty good speaker -slime ball of a man, though.
Tsar of DDO
Disquisition
Posts: 391
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2013 11:03:09 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Glad I saw this thread because I'm in the exact same situation as you. I'm a little introverted but I'd rather speak in front of a large crowd rather than making useless small talk weird huh?

Anyways good advice here