Jump to topic:

Purpose of education

suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2013 12:53:05 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
what is the purpose of higher education?

To create jobs?, to create security? If so, what is the purpose academic discipline that is not likely to be productive, or at the very least not as valued as the other such as liberal art, general business management, History etc.?
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2013 7:13:19 PM
Basically higher education exists because there's a demand for it and government plays a large role in keeping the higher education system afloat (ex: subsidizing student loans, giving grants to colleges). That's it. There's no intrinsic purpose of it.

The demand is due to a few factors. A lot of its due to propaganda from parents, and teachers. Parents want their children to go to college and will be willing to pay for it (deferring the costs to the children), largely due to propaganda as well and the high status it would achieve. Some of its due to the effects of signalling, that employers want people with a higher education degree since it signals they're likely smarter then people that don't have a higher education degree. There are barrier to entry in some fields that require a college degree in order to achieve licensing. There's some vocational training involved in some majors.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2013 9:02:39 PM
At 8/16/2013 12:53:05 AM, suttichart.denpruektham wrote:
what is the purpose of higher education?

To create jobs?, to create security? If so, what is the purpose academic discipline that is not likely to be productive, or at the very least not as valued as the other such as liberal art, general business management, History etc.?

I think that the purpose of education in America is to give politicians something to talk about; either to make themselves look good or make the other guy/gal look bad.

I think the purpose of education ought to be to produce good citizens: meaning to instill students with good values, to teach the importance of being productive, to prepare students to enter the workforce, to equip students for participation in moral and political life...

I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one... lol
Tsar of DDO
Sabeeta
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2013 8:19:12 PM
As Nelson Mandela said,"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." From this saying we can understand the importance of education. Education is the ornament of every people. Education makes a fool into wise person. education enables a person to be more efficient and effective in every sector of our life. Education must also train one for quick, resolute and effective thinking. It helps to resolve problems and helps us to be critical. The function of education, therefore, is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically. education does not only include book based education, it includes one being morally educated and applying those book based education in our lie to enhance the life of oneself, society and the entire nation and world.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2013 12:38:33 PM
Education has multiple purposes, and it's a mistake to suppose that one purpose dominates. One purpose is to prepare students for a career. The idea that scientists, engineers, physicians, lawyers, and other skilled professions can be self-taught is, well, nuts. Skilled trades do have a possibility of being taught by apprenticeship, but I think it is more efficient to teach basic skills through formal education.

Another purpose of education is prepare students to cope with the complexity of modern society. In ancient times, peoples horizons were limited to their villages. Now, people should be aware of regional, national, and international issues.

Other purposes include teach students the basic general skills of writing, computers, study, and independent research; making students aware of the variety of jobs and opportunities society offers; and providing a general understanding of how the world works. I'm willing to argue that the education system could be improved substantially in achieving it's purposes, but that's what it should be doing.
BlackSand
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2013 1:13:58 PM
I've been thinking about this topic lately. I think the aim of our education system is knowledge, which is wrong. Knowledge isn't the end goal. We want to improve our quality of life, and knowledge aides, but doesn't achieve that.

The purpose of school should be to prepare students to be independent thinkers who are ready for everything that life can throw at them.
Basic educations first priority should be life training. Teaching kids how to handle the stuff that life throws your way. Think life coaching. Teach kids how to be successful.
Second, finding talents, and developing skills to see what a child exceeds in.
Third, basic education in all of the normal topics, but specialized for what that students excels in and enjoys.

Individualism FTW. With technology, something like this isnt impossible.
Wocambs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2013 6:05:30 PM
Education should provide students with the basic knowledge and skills they need to flourish as adults. I think the issue I would want to stress is the almost complete absence of philosophy in education. Students are not taught how to evaluate propositions and arguments, nor is morality discussed in any great detail. I feel these are incredibly important things, as they are instrumental in creating thoughtful and intelligent adults.

Adult education is of course voluntary, and so can have any purpose it wants, within reason.
KIOO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2013 11:15:55 AM
Education can be regarded as the tool that leads people to bright and beautiful life. The purpose of education can be to create job, security,etc. In all these tasks education creates discipline, dedication and sincerity. So, I believe that the purpose of education doesn't mean that it has to create academic discipline, but it's purpose is to create discipline in every tasks that an individual has to perform to fulfill all his responsibilities in life.
BorisYouAreWrong
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2013 4:21:09 PM
In Russia, millions of people with higher education, a large number of lawyers, teachers of the Russian language, but are silent about the unconstitutionality of the third term of Putin!

One of them used his education, which would tell the country competently about why two consecutive terms - it's only two terms and only a row!

If education is not so, that would not give a cheat, why?
BorisYouAreWrong
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2013 4:35:43 PM
In connection with the previous post, I'll do a conclusion -
education is needed for what would have been justice. If you are not educated - you make a fool of, and if you make a fool, you are not educated.
WilliamGrey
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2013 6:04:23 AM
The purpose of higher education debate table topic in this world for many years. We have a 200-year tradition of liberal arts colleges is focused on preparing a personal contribution by producing character development. I think we are working to improving the higher education system.
http://www.dubaionlineuniversity.com...
guptamadanmohan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2013 3:05:50 AM
To train child in physical productive work to maintain his health for fitness upto an old age. to Train in production through god gifted human body which is very little to be sufficient for few persons only so that every body is provided with work. sarve bhavantu sukhinah. sarve santu niramaya. .

In gita too - karmanye awem adhikaraste

instead of materialistic system of accumulation and centralised huge production deciding fate of many. How can we at the top decide the future of masses. we r not god and we should try to be the same. rather we should try to be servant to serve humanitiy and peace.
fluffybunnypuff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2013 3:29:35 AM
on adv, 75%+of college courses are completely useless, plus the useful courses are on adv about 25%+inefficent. the main reason people take these useless classes is beacuse exsessive gov regs require them to take these unnessicary classes before they will allow an employeer to hire you.
almost all employers admit they know that most of these classes are completly useless for the job, and would much rather not be coerced by gov into requireing people complete useless classes.
colleges pay gov to force/coerce employeers to not hire people unless the person has completed college courses that the college makes up and makes as expensive and as big a waste of time as possible, in order to coerce people into takeing the college courses by holding their jobs hostage.)
corrupt bussiness bribe or coerce corrupt gov to give them to big to fail to big to jail status, unfair tax breaks, subsidies,bailouts, law exempt status, a monopoly, and supress compeition by enforceing supressive laws/regs/taxes to steal good jobs, independence, trade, and chairty to make forced dependent customers. its counterproductive because they waste time and resources supressing, $value goes down, when they buy something price is up quality is down, crime taxes and poverty go up, their more likley to be abused or robbed, customers go down cuz less people can afford to be a customer.
u cant sell education to smart people, corrupt colleges also aim to dumb down people and keep them dum, by lieing to them saying the education they are selling will be useful when it wont, and selling exsessive usless info pretending its useful, its not fooling anyone.

gov funded main stream college are often used as indoctrination centers where they propagandize students, sometimes ban any speach the college doesnt like(gov critizers political oppoents..), and sometimes wont pass students unless they pretend to agree with the idology of the college. the rules of the colleges often serve no other purpose than trying to rip people off and make them buy things they dont need, in order to qualify for a job. fraudsters.
reportedly in usa:
50% of people cant pay back their student loans on time
50+% of graduates cant find a job in their field
almost $1tril in unpaid student loans

on the job training is preferable most of the time, that way you kno you are being trained for what is actually needed for the job, and you learn better from watching it and doing it in real life, instead of books/videos.
jobs like sergery, should watch videos and practice on dummies first, its not possible to watch in real life all different types of sergery sinarios you shuold know about.
guptamadanmohan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2013 5:14:04 AM
The Purpose of "Education sud be to train our next generation to be fit to face all odds of life by way of having full faith on their hard work.
onlinestathamlee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2013 6:53:45 AM
I guess that the purpose of education is not only to teach a student courses, but also teach him or her manners, to eradicate injustice, poverty and illiteracy rate within the society, also creates a social bonding which to some extent I pretty much miss while taking online education courses,
Ashley Lee
http://www.westlanduniversity.com...