Jump to topic:

Drug Information

Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2009 8:13:05 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I was given a 2 credit class this year that I found to be the most useless class I have ever taken. It's called "Drug Information". Essentially, it was a class devoted entirely to telling us how to use physical and electronic resources and how to evaluate their validity.

I found that the class went into so much detail, that it completely lost sight of the fact that it was devoted to simple concepts. We spent 2 lectures on usage of the internet and how to distinguish good websites from bad websites.

To be perfectly honest, I see this class and any others like it, to be obsolete in the next 5 years if not right now.

This brings me to a series of questions for you all:

1. Have you ever had a class like this?
2. When doing research, do you ever go beyond Wikipedia and Google?
3. How efficiently can you determine the validity of a source?
4. When did you start becoming proficient with the internet as an educational tool?
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2009 8:32:28 AM
At 12/16/2009 8:13:05 AM, Kleptin wrote:
I was given a 2 credit class this year that I found to be the most useless class I have ever taken. It's called "Drug Information". Essentially, it was a class devoted entirely to telling us how to use physical and electronic resources and how to evaluate their validity.
And here I was, thinking you'd tell me something about heroin and marijuana.

I found that the class went into so much detail, that it completely lost sight of the fact that it was devoted to simple concepts.
Sounds like most non-physical-science courses.
We spent 2 lectures on usage of the internet and how to distinguish good websites from bad websites.

To be perfectly honest, I see this class and any others like it, to be obsolete in the next 5 years if not right now.

This brings me to a series of questions for you all:

Not specifically a whole class, but sophomore and junior year in history class the teachers would tell us for our research papers, ".com is more likely to be biased than .org or .gov", "don't ever ever use wikipedia", and other crap like that. Apparently, many people (my high school in my experience) now distrust certain sites that declare their position "because they're biased". Because they declare their position. And they think all groups that don't declare their position are unbiased. As long as it's .org or .gov.

In other words, if I posted something on a .org without declaring my position, I am an unbiased source, but the moment I switch to .com or I say I'm an anarchist, I'm a biased source.

It'd be funny if it weren't so f*cking tragic.
Research? I don't research. (I don't remember. I probably don't though.)
I can't.
4. When did you start becoming proficient with the internet as an educational tool?
Maybe two or three years ago.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2009 12:56:31 AM

University 1st year mandatory 'beginning skills' class. Basic how to research, write essays etc. Complete waste of my time. >.<

I have multiple journal access, but understandably most of that is unavailable before someone reaches University level education, unless they have a good library nearby.

Depends on the topic I guess. It's not hard to verify a lot of things, since research will start giving you a professional consensus, and if you need to read the stuff I do, knowledge of statistics and research methods will quickly separate those articles of little or suspicious merit. Don't ignore the method and results sections, kids!

I guess at University, since access before then was largely limited. It was one of things where you either mastered it or failed at your degree.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2011 5:20:47 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
The only class that I can recall as being useless and really un-utilitarian was my DDP (technological/design) freshman class which was solely based on the concepts of extrusion (in a program called 'Inventor') and design and so on (concepts of design (principles and elements) along with extruding and using tools like 'Mirror', 'Extrude', 'Scale' and so forth). Utterly useless class in my view, not in part of its subject, but in part due to the inefficency of my teacher (but more of that later...)
I sometimes go on to the library, whether at the block or in my school, to do research and collect sources for history papers and assignments. Other than that, I do use the internet as a source of information for much of my homework.
I would judge it by the content, date of commission, and so on.
I don't know; I would say my middle school years...
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau