Jump to topic:

life after highschool

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 8:47:52 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
What's it like when everyone you knew suddenly scatters all over the continental U.S, you go to college in some state you don't know well, and life resets itself? I have one more year to go, and I don't think I can imagine it.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 9:20:58 PM
Well some argue that in reality life doesn't reset itself but merely actually begins.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 9:26:04 PM
At 8/29/2013 8:47:52 PM, 000ike wrote:
What's it like when everyone you knew suddenly scatters all over the continental U.S, you go to college in some state you don't know well, and life resets itself? I have one more year to go, and I don't think I can imagine it.

Its f*cking awesome!

Your friends probably suck to a certain degree anyways, college friends stay with you for life way more then high school friends do, you finally get the first true taste of independence, homework and attending class literally becomes optional (depending on your major), the average time you go to sleep at night goes up by 3-4 hours, and DA TITTIES BA MOAR MASSIVE BOI, DEY GO BOING BOING ALL UP IN YA FACE ALL DAY EREY DAY
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2013 8:59:52 AM
I think if you were to stay in your own town with the same people all your life, things would get old. With facebook/internet it is easy to stay in touch with people from high school. But, it is cool to move on, life always keeps moving forward. College is exciting and fun. And, by the time you go, you probably will feel ready.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2013 12:54:15 PM
I think it depends on your personality. Being close to family and old friends is comforting, but choosing your own path is empowering. I'm impressed that the students who stayed near home in college and thought they would die if they had to change high schools, in fact adapt very quickly to new places when it is put to them.

It's not nearly as difficult as it seems. Pick a place with good weather and a good job.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2013 9:51:48 PM
So far it's weird. I don't do well with change, but college is keeping me busy enough to keep my mind off it mostly. It's mostly bad at night when I'm left to my thoughts and I think about everyone I'll probably never see again and how I miss home but ultimately it isn't that bad, and it will probably be much better than high school once I make more friends. One of my best friends goes to my college though, so it isn't as bad for me as it may be for you or others.

If your High school is like mine, the idea will seem more and more real to you as the year progresses. It will hit everyone more once they start getting college acceptances and making decisions. It's interesting since as everyone knows it's unlikely they'll ever see each other again they start to make peace with the people they had issues with so they can leave on good terms.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2013 10:03:53 PM
At 9/3/2013 9:51:48 PM, thett3 wrote:
So far it's weird. I don't do well with change, but college is keeping me busy enough to keep my mind off it mostly. It's mostly bad at night when I'm left to my thoughts and I think about everyone I'll probably never see again and how I miss home but ultimately it isn't that bad, and it will probably be much better than high school once I make more friends. One of my best friends goes to my college though, so it isn't as bad for me as it may be for you or others.

If your High school is like mine, the idea will seem more and more real to you as the year progresses. It will hit everyone more once they start getting college acceptances and making decisions. It's interesting since as everyone knows it's unlikely they'll ever see each other again they start to make peace with the people they had issues with so they can leave on good terms.

I think the worst part is that your class finally gets it together and lets go of the past and becomes more unified and friendly than ever, and then it's split up. But that's life, and change is ultimately good. There's so much more out there to experience :)
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Researchpaperstobuy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2013 3:12:09 AM
At 8/29/2013 9:20:58 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
Well some argue that in reality life doesn't reset itself but merely actually begins.

That can be very horrific
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2013 2:02:58 PM

I'd be in that lot.

High school is fun, but college is better... and college is where life begins. High school is this sort of social vacuum where the mediocre can act superciliousness -and where insignificant things (like the net worth of one's parents, the car one drives, the clothes one wears) mean something more than they actually do. It is the only place I know of where superficiality sets the social standard and both creates and defines the social hierarchy. It's not that high school is necessarily bad, and it wasn't bad for me, but it is insignificant.

It's frustrating because of how sheltered it necessarily is: there are defined norms of conduct and expectations, the kinds of people who you are with doesn't really change, and most paradoxically high school student's world views are profoundly limited while high schoolers (and adolescents generally) believe that they always know best. Essentially, if you can figure out how things work (and it's not hard to do) it's pretty easy to climb the social ladder and stay on top. All you have to do is figure out the rules (what to do, what not to do, who to make want to be around you, who to avoid, etc.) and adjust your behavior accordingly. But most of all, high school is incredibly boring. It's too easy, requires too little, does too little, and what it does, is probably not what it should be doing. Even though I have pretty good memories of high school, it's not a place I would ever return to.

Life starts on day one of college.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2013 2:21:38 PM
At 9/7/2013 2:02:58 PM, YYW wrote:

I'd be in that lot.

High school is fun, but college is better... and college is where life begins. High school is this sort of social vacuum where the mediocre can act superciliousness -and where insignificant things (like the net worth of one's parents, the car one drives, the clothes one wears) mean something more than they actually do. It is the only place I know of where superficiality sets the social standard and both creates and defines the social hierarchy. It's not that high school is necessarily bad, and it wasn't bad for me, but it is insignificant.

It's frustrating because of how sheltered it necessarily is: there are defined norms of conduct and expectations, the kinds of people who you are with doesn't really change, and most paradoxically high school student's world views are profoundly limited while high schoolers (and adolescents generally) believe that they always know best. Essentially, if you can figure out how things work (and it's not hard to do) it's pretty easy to climb the social ladder and stay on top. All you have to do is figure out the rules (what to do, what not to do, who to make want to be around you, who to avoid, etc.) and adjust your behavior accordingly. But most of all, high school is incredibly boring. It's too easy, requires too little, does too little, and what it does, is probably not what it should be doing. Even though I have pretty good memories of high school, it's not a place I would ever return to.

The OP did not ask you of your high school experience, YYW. The question concerned the personal losses in the transition from highschool to college (assuming you can imagine actually liking the people you were around).
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2013 2:23:09 PM
At 9/7/2013 2:21:38 PM, 000ike wrote:

I'd be in that lot.

The OP did not ask you of your high school experience, YYW. The question concerned the personal losses in the transition from highschool to college (assuming you can imagine actually liking the people you were around).

You do realize I was responding to Ninja and not you, right?
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2013 2:29:29 PM
At 9/7/2013 2:23:09 PM, YYW wrote:

I'd be in that lot.

sigh. Alright, I'll take your word for it - you weren't attempting to address anything in the OP.

but given the history of my interactions with you as well as others, it wouldn't surprise me if you were attempting any criticism in your usual passive-aggressive manner. Just know that I'm not wrichcirw, and I don't play that game.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2013 2:32:23 PM
At 9/7/2013 2:29:29 PM, 000ike wrote:

I'd be in that lot.

sigh. Alright, I'll take your word for it - you weren't attempting to address anything in the OP.

I mean, I was thinking about responding to your post... but now I'm feeling disinclined to do so. The very fact that I responded ONLY to Ninja should have made clear what I was doing, but I guess you have these preconceived notions (to borrow that phrase from Tulle) about how I post... lol.

Oh, here they are, below!

but given the history of my interactions with you as well as others, it wouldn't surprise me if you were attempting any criticism in your usual passive-aggressive manner.

Ike, believe it or not I don't dislike you... and I wasn't talking about you either. If I had something to say to or about you, I would just say it. Knowing my elaborate history of confronting members, you should know that that's how I roll ;)
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2013 2:37:26 PM
At 9/7/2013 2:32:23 PM, YYW wrote:

I'd be in that lot.

I mean, I was thinking about responding to your post... but now I'm feeling disinclined to do so. The very fact that I responded ONLY to Ninja should have made clear what I was doing, but I guess you have these preconceived notions (to borrow that phrase from Tulle) about how I post... lol.

but given the history of my interactions with you as well as others, it wouldn't surprise me if you were attempting any criticism in your usual passive-aggressive manner.

Ike, believe it or not I don't dislike you... and I wasn't talking about you either. If I had something to say to or about you, I would just say it. Knowing my elaborate history of confronting members, you should know that that's how I roll ;)

....aways defining your behavior more strictly than what you do in practice. No, that's not how you roll. If it suits you, you'll be forthright, and if it doesn't you'll be passive-aggressive.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2013 2:40:57 PM
At 9/7/2013 2:37:26 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/7/2013 2:32:23 PM, YYW wrote:

I'd be in that lot.

....aways defining your behavior more strictly than what you do in practice. No, that's not how you roll. If it suits you, you'll be forthright, and if it doesn't you'll be passive-aggressive.

lol

Passive aggression isn't my style. I know that some of the things I like to do may look passive aggressive (to you, and several other members), but that's just not the deal. This is the reality of how I interact with people: I say all and only what I mean, and no more. I'm not a complicated person, Ike. I think it's sort of funny how you like to make every discussion that I comment on, a discussion about me. I don't know if you mean to do that, but it's entertaining to me.

Anyway, do you want me to respond to your OP or not?
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2013 2:44:00 PM
At 9/7/2013 2:40:57 PM, YYW wrote:

lol

Passive aggression isn't my style. I know that some of the things I like to do may look passive aggressive (to you, and several other members), but that's just not the deal. This is the reality of how I interact with people: I say all and only what I mean, and no more. I'm not a complicated person, Ike. I think it's sort of funny how you like to make every discussion that I comment on, a discussion about me. I don't know if you mean to do that, but it's entertaining to me.

You tend to speak about yourself (directly/indirectly) - so I don't think the topic of conversation ever really stems from me.

And actually, it could also be argued that DN didn't ask for your highschool experience either, so it is curious what prompted you to speak about it.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2013 2:44:55 PM
At 9/7/2013 2:44:00 PM, 000ike wrote:

lol

You tend to speak about yourself (directly/indirectly) - so I don't think the topic of conversation ever really stems from me.

And actually, it could also be argued that DN didn't ask for your highschool experience either, so it is curious what prompted you to speak about it.

I was making a case for why he's right, based on my own personal experience... obviously lol
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2013 2:47:20 PM
At 9/7/2013 2:44:55 PM, YYW wrote:

lol

I was making a case for why he's right, based on my own personal experience... obviously lol

damn right it's your own personal experience.

I do wonder then why you spoke in generalities.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2013 2:49:38 PM
At 9/7/2013 2:47:20 PM, 000ike wrote:

lol

lol... I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Because this isn't my autobiography? Lol... and I wouldn't write an autobiography either. That's just too pretentious even for me.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2013 2:52:02 PM
At 9/7/2013 2:49:38 PM, YYW wrote:

lol

Because this isn't my autobiography? Lol... and I wouldn't write an autobiography either. That's just too pretentious even for me.

It's not your autobiography but it's a solid pair of dense paragraphs about your high school life?....
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2013 2:53:21 PM

Life comes to an absolute and unequivocal end. Even though you might stay in touch with a few people, most will forget about you and move on because they want to lead their lives. Life doesn't reset itself. You will more or less be the same person, with the same perspectives, the same ideals and notions when you enter college as when you graduated high school. And it doesn't get better. It ends. Life ends after high school, because that's as good as it gets. It will never be any better than it is now.

rofl... I thought about going on, but I couldn't do it. I'm just not in a trolling mood today...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2013 2:54:27 PM
At 9/7/2013 2:52:02 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/7/2013 2:49:38 PM, YYW wrote:

lol

It's not your autobiography but it's a solid pair of dense paragraphs about your high school life?....

Dense paragraphs? Really?
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2013 2:55:58 PM
At 9/7/2013 2:53:21 PM, YYW wrote:

Life comes to an absolute and unequivocal end. Even though you might stay in touch with a few people, most will forget about you and move on because they want to lead their lives. Life doesn't reset itself. You will more or less be the same person, with the same perspectives, the same ideals and notions when you enter college as when you graduated high school. And it doesn't get better. It ends. Life ends after high school, because that's as good as it gets. It will never be any better than it is now.

rofl... I thought about going on, but I couldn't do it. I'm just not in a trolling mood today...

this is your sense of humor?
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2013 2:57:07 PM
At 9/7/2013 2:54:27 PM, YYW wrote:

Evasion? Really?

My apologies, I'll fix it:
It's not your autobiography but it's a solid pair of paragraphs about your personal experiences? ...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2013 2:58:18 PM
At 9/7/2013 2:57:07 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/7/2013 2:54:27 PM, YYW wrote:

Evasion? Really?

My apologies, I'll fix it:
It's not your autobiography but it's a solid pair of paragraphs about your personal experiences? ...

Yes. Why do you think that I'm being contradictory here? You do know what autobiographies are, right?
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2013 2:59:00 PM
At 9/7/2013 2:55:58 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/7/2013 2:53:21 PM, YYW wrote:

this is your sense of humor?

Yes. Would you like a serious, meaningful response instead?
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2013 3:05:54 PM
Do what you want, I don't really care either way.

but I maintain that you used "it's not an autobiography" to recant the accusation that no one asked you to write about yourself. And yet you admit that the whole post is limited to your, and only your personal experiences. That's the contradiction.

And with that, I've exhausted my interest in this interaction.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2013 3:10:38 PM
At 9/7/2013 3:05:54 PM, 000ike wrote:
Do what you want, I don't really care either way.

but I maintain that you used "it's not an autobiography" to recant the accusation that no one asked you to write about yourself. And yet you admit that the whole post is limited to your, and only your personal experiences. That's the contradiction.

An autobiography would be hundreds of pages long. This was only a few paragraphs.

And with that, I've exhausted my interest in this interaction.

lol, ok.