Jump to topic:

Do You Think MOOCs Pose A Threat To Education

harrisjohnson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2013 3:45:42 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
The advent of Massive Open Online Courses has initiated a new debate in educational mainstream. On one hand where people think that this will open new frontiers for educational development, some are also of the opinion that it poses serious threats to higher education. Also, people think that online universities will hold a significant influence once MOOCs gain momentum. Being an educational counselor it is important to know what people really think about this.

http://www.onlineuaeuniversities.com...
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2013 7:18:23 PM
I don't see them as posing a huge threat to conventional education, but I do think that higher education institutes will eventually have to lower their prices as a result of additional competition.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2013 7:19:02 PM
Right now though, they don't have nearly enough repute to be significant competition.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
harrisjohnson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2013 2:56:40 AM
At 9/9/2013 7:19:02 PM, ClassicRobert wrote:
Right now though, they don't have nearly enough repute to be significant competition.

I think that with their rising momentum and the way global institutes are readily accepting it, it will soon become a threat to traditional institutes and style of education.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2013 9:52:28 PM
Online courses are a joke. Sure, you may learn the basic concepts, but you will get nowhere near the level of proficiency that you could with a teacher who walks through the answers and pays attention to your questions.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2013 8:44:27 AM
I think they pose a significant threat to the present educational system. Ultimately, education will be the better for it.

I have used the courses produced on DVD by the Teaching Company and have become a fan of it. They pick the best lecturers on the topic and put together a course with good visual aids. The DVD can be replayed. Why would I want to travel and pay a large fee to hear a probably-inferior lecture on the same subject?

Especially for introductory courses, there is a limitation in the lack of personal interaction. One way to handle that is by breaking the course into recorded lectures and live "recitations." The live interaction can be done over the internet as well. I know of one example of a foreign language course taught entirely over the internet. Each student was required to have a camera and microphone attached to their computer and some special software.

The methods are still in their infancy, but I'm sure it's going to be a major factor in education. One thing that will push the technology along is the need for continuing education. In the past, one could get a basic education and use it for a long career. Now things change too rapidly to sit on credentials. Fewer educators will be required to provide basic education, but many more for continuing education.