ironmaiden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2013 10:18:56 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
So here's a question for you...

Do you agree with homework?

Now, I don't mean do you hate or not hate it. Everybody hates homework. I mean do you actually think it fulfills its purpose? Do you think it's worth the time?

I'll go ahead and throw my opinion out there. I see the purpose in homework, but I don't think it actually fulfills it. Rather, it only takes away from the time you can spend progressing in something you actually value. Biology, for example, has no significance in my life. History does. But because I'm forced to waste an hour or two with biology, I am not the mind-blowing historian I want to be. Also, teachers complain that they don't have enough time in class, and thus overload students with homework, yet they have an hour (in most high schools) to teach whatever useless information they feel they must shove down our throats.

So you decide. Should homework be given to students?
"I know what you're thinking. 'Did he fire six shots or only five?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being that his is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question. 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2013 10:41:35 PM
Homework should absolutely be given to students. It's great to practice knowledge, because it makes it easier to remember it. This is especially true in subjects such as mathematics or the sciences, where you have to apply strategies to get the answer, so you remember and practice the strategies. However, there should be limits. Perhaps, no more time spent on homework for the class than time spent in the class?

I know teachers complain about a lack of class time, but a lot of the problem is due to a misuse of class time. Rather than taking attendance (which can take quite a while), perhaps try asking students to sign in on a piece of paper, whether it is done as they enter or on a piece of paper that is passed around. I prefer the method of doing so as students enter, as it isn't disruptive to note-taking, it doesn't need to be shuffled around to accommodate late students, and it's much easier to make sure no one's writing in the name of an absent classmate if the paper is withing the teachers' view. "Clickers" can be used to poll students on what they know, maybe substituting for time spent asking "now, who can tell me X?" which is useless anyway because all you know is if there's one student who can give you that information. Even in college I notice students taking their time getting notebooks out once class begins, which eats away at teaching time. Rather, one could simply teach students that once they enter the classroom, they are to sign in, sit down (in the farthest seat available from the door so that late students can enter without being disruptive), and open their notebook to a blank page - or some similar procedure, where one knows what is expected of them and does it, so that they don't have to play catch-up during instructional time. Optimally, near 100% of class time can be spent on teaching, reducing the need to use homework as anything but practice (so a reasonable amount should be sufficient).
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2013 10:43:41 PM
At 10/11/2013 10:18:56 PM, ironmaiden wrote:

Now, I don't mean do you hate or not hate it. Everybody hates homework. I mean do you actually think it fulfills its purpose? Do you think it's worth the time?

I'll go ahead and throw my opinion out there. I see the purpose in homework, but I don't think it actually fulfills it. Rather, it only takes away from the time you can spend progressing in something you actually value. Biology, for example, has no significance in my life. History does. But because I'm forced to waste an hour or two with biology, I am not the mind-blowing historian I want to be. Also, teachers complain that they don't have enough time in class, and thus overload students with homework, yet they have an hour (in most high schools) to teach whatever useless information they feel they must shove down our throats.

You'll still homework in college... And yes I sliver it's beneficial even if it's not directed towards you interest... It's important to learn and know things so that you won't look ignorant when asked a question regarding those topics feel are irrelevant.. How are you gonna learn your interest all the more without homework? Same apples to those you aren't interest in..
Make sense?
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2013 11:37:15 PM
'Homework' plays the part of regular revision sessions - absolutely essential to retaining information learnt in class; just look at the memory curve.

That said, homework is a rather sorry thing in practice.

Firstly, 'homework' can, to an extent, be made better by incorporating it in school time with longer school days (see http://www.debate.org...). My timetable has me arrive at 7:45 am and leave at 4:15 some days. Second, homework must not be mindless or busy work. Homework must utilise efficient methods of memory retention - questions should be designed to elicit Feynman like explanations in humanities, practice problems for technical matters, mnemonics for superficial understanding etc. All students should be answering in coherent form, as if answering an exam. That isn't to say that the writing style isn't quite different - it should be made to fit for your own memory retention - but practice at the highest level is critical.

When I read something for my own interest I often take notes on it. I use the principles behind homework to retain information. The aim is that you should be able to give a short lecture on whatever you're studying most of the time. I can give you lectures on Chinese history, as I can on aspects of behavioural economics, the science of integrity, geopolitics... that's what homework should ideally be about. Helping you solidify knowledge for long term retention.

Of course, using class time better is also something that all students and teachers should be doing. A minute wasted is a minute that must be caught up (or should be) .

The best thing you can do is go read books about memory retention ASAP - that and figuring out 'where you wish to go' is an absolute necessity. Also, use all school time to optimum gain - talk with teachers, build connections, be a leader etc. And pay attention in subjects you dislike anyhow. I now regret not focusing in 2nd language classes. Put your mind to what you do and act.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
SCHUMAN8R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 4:20:48 PM
If all your assignments were based on classwork all you would need to do is pay attention and you would have a 4.0. The amount of homework a student does shows how much they really want a good grade. Without this concept of homework kids wold always put the minimal amount of effort in and recieve good results.
Can't touch this!
ViolaSheen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2013 4:30:13 AM
Hello, I used to love homework of some of my favorite subjects and hate homework of the subjects i found the most challenging. So i think your like and dislike de0pends on how much you like the subject. i have known people (geeks) who thrived on homework are used to say it helps them stay in practice. If you ever need homework help or writing essay you can always com to http://www.researchomatic.com.... I used to get english homework help from this site. I am sure there are other places oout there that can help you with homework as well. :)
JessieWolters
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2013 9:39:19 PM

I really hate homework too! Why? Imagine? The time that I can spend with my friends, because of my homework my mom didn't allow me to go out with my friends. Sometimes even weekends! :'(
"To change your phrase somewhat, I know that I like an art where disparate elements form an entity."
~ James Schuyler
Yananiso
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2013 1:34:43 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I luv homework and homework shuld be given to students to help them to continue learning more things and help them learn by researching more thingz on the internet
Seek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2013 12:26:13 AM
I am a homeschooling parent. We have nothing but homework. ^_^

In all seriousness, though, it depends on the class, the teaching style, and the student's learning style.

The classes I learned the most in throughout my high school career had either no homework at all (History and Humanities. Best teacher ever, seriously) or project-only homework (English and Literature).

The ones with daily work requirements did not encourage me to work any harder; I just wiped out the textbook in the first two weeks of school and my buddy and I played gin rummy in the back of the room for the rest of the school year. Hey, all the work was done, and we passed the tests with As. For an advanced Biology course, they certainly weren't trying very hard, haha.
dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2013 12:42:46 AM
I see what homework does and is intended to do. 30-45 minutes? Sure, I don't give a sh!t. But my class is getting 1-6 hours of my homework a night. It's too much and that much does not fufill its meaning.
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
TheLastMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2013 2:44:46 AM

--> Very limited amount of homework will not harm the students. If homework puts students off learning, then it has been badly planned by the teacher. As Linda Darling-Hammond, a professor of Education notes, 'many teachers lack the skills to design homework assignments that help kids learn and don't turn them off to learning' . The best homework tasks engage and stretch students, encouraging them to think for themselves and follow through ideas which interest them. Over time, well planned homework can help students develop good habits, such as reading for pleasure or creative writing.
Yes, but not too much. Limited amount of well planned homework should be given to students.
jyotipatel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2014 2:57:43 AM
I dont think it is compulsory.Because in my view no homeworks no exam in the world could correctly judge the skills of the person. Actually examinations are introduced to check the knowledge of the person but unfortunately in the present system students are just preparing for exams, to get ranks etc thats it .
kawaii_crazy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2014 11:57:47 PM
i agree with homework but i dont like it when teachers give out tons.
"Being called weird is like being called Limited Edition. Meaning you're something people don't see that often." -Ashley Purdy

Please help raise money for a Christmas gift for airmax (although he is Jewish, as YYW pointed out). He is in desperate need of a new laptop, and he has done so much for this site; he certainly deserves one. :)
http://www.debate.org...
birdlandmemories
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2014 10:05:58 AM
Homework is nessecary, as it helps the student learn the classroom material at home, but it should not be assigned just for the heck of it, which happens in numerous cases.
Ashton
kawaii_crazy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2014 2:18:38 AM
At 1/4/2014 10:05:58 AM, birdlandmemories wrote:
Homework is nessecary, as it helps the student learn the classroom material at home, but it should not be assigned just for the heck of it, which happens in numerous cases.
"Being called weird is like being called Limited Edition. Meaning you're something people don't see that often." -Ashley Purdy

Please help raise money for a Christmas gift for airmax (although he is Jewish, as YYW pointed out). He is in desperate need of a new laptop, and he has done so much for this site; he certainly deserves one. :)
http://www.debate.org...
dtaylor971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2014 1:30:46 AM
At 1/4/2014 10:05:58 AM, birdlandmemories wrote:

thank you
"I don't know why gays want to marry, I have spent the last 25 years wishing I wasn't allowed to." -Sadolite
DudeStop
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2014 1:12:53 PM

Yes it should...