Jump to topic:

Religion in schools?

Shadow0X3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2013 11:20:09 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I'm not talking about prayer in schools, but just the ability to offer religion-based classes. Perhaps non-denominational classes that would offer a peek into religion and possibly views of other religions that a student may not have been exposed to during their normal school year or church visits (or lack thereof for either matter). We're doing persuasive speeches and I decided it would work in my favor to see arguments. Personally I believe that religious classes should be offered, despite not being a religious person myself. So, hit me with opinions and facts and stuff
fuzala
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2013 6:51:36 PM
At 11/7/2013 11:20:09 AM, Shadow0X3 wrote:
I'm not talking about prayer in schools, but just the ability to offer religion-based classes. Perhaps non-denominational classes that would offer a peek into religion and possibly views of other religions that a student may not have been exposed to during their normal school year or church visits (or lack thereof for either matter). We're doing persuasive speeches and I decided it would work in my favor to see arguments. Personally I believe that religious classes should be offered, despite not being a religious person myself. So, hit me with opinions and facts and stuff

If there's a demand for religious studies, why not supply people with what they demand? Of course, religious studies should not be a mandatory class unless it is a religious school. For secular schools, it can be a class that students take voluntarily.
Vote fuzala for President of the World.
fuzala
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2013 10:07:09 PM
At 11/7/2013 11:20:09 AM, Shadow0X3 wrote:

I thought of something else. In high school, religions were covered in our World History book. I think that's fine since religion is a part of our history.
Vote fuzala for President of the World.
Shadow0X3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2013 10:57:10 AM
At 11/10/2013 6:51:36 PM, fuzala wrote:
If there's a demand for religious studies, why not supply people with what they demand? Of course, religious studies should not be a mandatory class unless it is a religious school. For secular schools, it can be a class that students take voluntarily.
See I have the same opinion, in that schools should offer religion or non-denominational religion classes just to expose it. But in my own school we have no class that even touches religion. and our history books hardly bring up any of it. I just figured it'd be worth finding points on the matter
alexnotmurfs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2013 7:22:09 PM
Comparative religion studies should definitely be offered in more schools.

So much of our society and culture is influenced by religion. It would be helpful for students to learn the foundations of different belief systems in order to recognize when public policy or even the lessons of their elders and teachers are being impacted by religious doctrine.