Jump to topic:

Why Education Sucks

Republican95
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2010 4:39:01 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Today was the first day back-to-school for me after Christmas Vacation.

This semester I will be taking a class called "Word Processing" taught by a Ms. Chiquita (Pronoucned: sha-KWEE-ta) Berry. Of the 30 so computers in the lab, at least 10 are completley broken, another five are virus riden. So, with only 15 working computers the class also has a roll of 33 students (the legal maximum in MS).

It gets better, the computers are completley archaic. They have Windows 98. No lie.

However, last year Sudduth Elementary School (the K-2 school in my town), got 50 new laptobs for use for students in the library...

What the Fluck

1) What does a six-year-old have to do with a laptob computer in the school library? (Aren't those meant for books?)
2) Why were the high school's old, broken, and outdated equipment not replaced?
3) Which option (high school computer lab v. Kindergarten library) would you rather have get your tax dollars?
4) Is too much of an emphasis put on elementary education?

Is that outrages? Should it be brought to the School Board? Should I lobby the PTA? Please HELP!
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2010 4:53:20 PM
Those laptops given are probably the very cheap, very adequate ones that are being handed out to students in poorer countries. It is probably going through trial phases in some US states, in regards to younger students. So, its possible this might not be a recurring thing. It is a good program though, as students get used to computers at a younger age, and considering the era we're living in, this is important.

However, you are right that there should be more attention to high school computer classes. They are woefully inadequate, and need some upgrades. I would take it to the PTA, and I guarantee you'll get some support from others.
deathdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2010 4:56:37 PM
Just reformat the computers, any techie worth his salt can repair those computers within a day. Most it would cost is 200 - 300 bucks unless some serious parts are broken.

Overall just raise the money as a class and get some improved laptops. Also any school district as a whole is bound to have already paid for a network wide OS package. I find it hard to believe that the entire school district doesn't have a tech dept. Just contact your tech dept.
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 11:54:35 AM
I find nothing wrong with having shitty computers in your school. Infact, we didnt even get to use the computer much. Maybe like twice a year. And even then, the internet connection was so slow, it took about an hour to look at 7 webpages. oh, and did i mention that the computers we had in the second computer lab only had word processor and no other application, including the internet?
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2010 11:37:48 PM
I would actually suggest that given the prevalence of home computers and internet cafes, and the ease of becoming computer semi-literate that there is almost no place in schools for computers.

The idea of six year olds getting laptops seems wrong as well, laptops are mobile, as the child is going to be stationary in a classroom then a cheaper or better value for money option would be a desktop. Also six year olds should not have internet access.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2010 1:41:29 AM
What does a six-year-old have to do with a laptob computer
Maybe there's some great new spelling software.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
alto2osu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2010 2:08:50 PM
First of all, "laptops to six-year-olds" is not unusual at all. Chances are, that is a mobile lab, so it's not like those same six-year-olds are taking the computers home. I agree with previous posters that there is nothing unnatural about exposing students to technology at a younger age.

Second of all, as a teacher in a district where less than half the students I teach have regular access at home to a computer or internet connection, we cannot guarantee in any way, shape, or form that students will learn technology skills outside of schools. Not only that, but technology education is federally mandated and state mandated. Hence, it is the state's obligation to provide said education. Actually, you could probably force your district's hand with that knowledge, alone, since providing adequate technology access is a legal obligation if it is written into your state's education standards.

Third, as someone said previously, the fixes are being set aside by your tech (and you probably have one-- in my 150 student high school, we have a tech) and they shouldn't be. Viral infections are generally fixable with no cost other than a bit of time. Even I can fix those.

Computer access and training is simply a necessity in a hyper-specialized workforce, which is exactly what is happening in the US. While I think a mobile lab would probably do more good in the high school, in your case, maybe your teachers should motivate themselves to write a grant. Chances are, that's why your elem. school now has those machines and you guys don't. And there are plenty of grants out there, esp. for the poorest of schools. We just got one for $15K in technology upgrades.