Jump to topic:

Multiple Choice

xStarfish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2013 9:45:40 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Multiple choice tests give students the impression that there is a canned answer (right/wrong) to the things they are taught, and that knowledge can be learned by simple fact regurgitation. Such testing allows "good test takers" to exceed, while they may have never developed and honed critical thinking skills. It suppresses creative/abstract types, but it also suppresses the most intelligent subset of our population.

I believe the best way to test a student's knowledge in written form is through short answer/essay or demonstration of learned knowledge.

And I believe the best way to teach is to encourage open discussion and debate in the classroom.
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2013 3:55:55 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 11/26/2013 9:45:40 PM, xStarfish wrote:
Multiple choice tests give students the impression that there is a canned answer (right/wrong) to the things they are taught, and that knowledge can be learned by simple fact regurgitation. Such testing allows "good test takers" to exceed, while they may have never developed and honed critical thinking skills. It suppresses creative/abstract types, but it also suppresses the most intelligent subset of our population.

I believe the best way to test a student's knowledge in written form is through short answer/essay or demonstration of learned knowledge.

And I believe the best way to teach is to encourage open discussion and debate in the classroom.

You have a good point, and that's why I encourage mixed formats in exams. But some things just can't be taught in open debates. It is a *fact* that the war of 1812 was in 1812. You can't debate that, you just need to know it. That's the kind of question for which multiple choice is ideal.