Jump to topic:

Any advice for a college degree?

Juris_Naturalis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2013 10:51:24 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Hey all, I'm considering a career in Law enforcement soon after high school, but I've been told that I should go to college, and I get why they say that, but I'm not sure what I should major in when I'm considering LE. I mean Criminal Justice is kinda obvious, but I don't know what I'd do with it considering I don't plan to become a detective, I plan on going for either a Field training officer, SWAT and/or maybe transferring to Border Patrol or State trooper. Any advice on what the heck I should take in college?
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 5:33:29 AM
Either google or look up what police officers are looking for in applicants and see if a college degree is super important. if it isn't, then you're just wasting your time in money. Other things, like either military training or working as an EMT might look better on your resume .
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2013 10:35:08 PM
My community college has a degree in Police Science. Maybe yours has something similar? It would be a two-year degree at a cheap school, so it's not a bad way to decide if you want to go to college at all, what you want to study if you do (there are a lot of options and I have yet to meet anyone who hasn't even changed their major once), and what you plan to do with it.
isabelcarter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2013 1:08:10 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
the advice that i would suggest you to have a college degree would be that always make sure that you get the degrees from the college that is accredited and is verified by accredited bodies so that you don't put your academic career in jeopardy because of any sort of fake college or any unauthentic online course or degree programs. http://www.lifeexperienceuniversity.org...
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2013 12:21:12 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
The four year degree is called Criminal Justice. Two year programs are called Law Enforcement. Google those terms to get lots of schools offering the degrees. I'd suggest talking to some of the schools about the rate at which graduates are hired. Just scanning the web a bit seems to indicate the four year programs are quite helpful in getting a job, but it's had to tell how biased or unbiased the recommendations are.

Another possibility is to join the military and get training as an MP. I don't know if that can be guaranteed upon sign up. It seems to me that militay training would be helpful for SWAT.

Also ask a school guidance counselor. They'll probably have a book with useful data on what education is useful for what job.