tylergraham95
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2014 10:48:32 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/22/2014 10:36:11 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:
Should it not?

It kind of is. Most schools offer significant scholarships for promising students based on merit. (GPA, ACT, a written essay, etc.)
"we dig" - Jeanette Runquist (1943 - 2015)
PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2014 1:08:47 PM
At 1/23/2014 10:48:32 AM, tylergraham95 wrote:
Should it not?

It kind of is. Most schools offer significant scholarships for promising students based on merit. (GPA, ACT, a written essay, etc.)

These scholarships are very hard to get, and competition is way too high. I guess what I mean by this is that if there is a brilliant kid who holds a ton of potential, money for school shouldn't have to cross his/her mind. I lament of the amount of brilliance the world loses to poverty, simply because the student has lost hope of being able to pay for school.
Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Andrew6591
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2014 6:47:06 AM
At 1/23/2014 1:08:47 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:
At 1/23/2014 10:48:32 AM, tylergraham95 wrote:
Should it not?

These scholarships are very hard to get, and competition is way too high. I guess what I mean by this is that if there is a brilliant kid who holds a ton of potential, money for school shouldn't have to cross his/her mind. I lament of the amount of brilliance the world loses to poverty, simply because the student has lost hope of being able to pay for school.

Competition is what distinguishes these cleaver people. Someone who wins the scholarship clearly deserves it otherwise they wouldn't have won it?
are we talking about school as in ages up to 18, or university, as in further education?
If Schools are the concern then i guess i tend to agree to some point that they shouldn't have to worry about money, but then again this is rarely the case. Kids get a standard education that is thought to be adequate for everyone. Then there are schools that you can pay ofr (private, boarding schools) which people often assume have a higher level and quality of education than free schools. Although this is probably true, is it such a bad thing? Everyone knows that money can buy better things (healthcare, houses, cars, clothes, food etc) so why say it is wrong to pay for better education if you can afford it.

University wise, this is usually affordable as the goverment pays for nearly everything...
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2014 8:11:45 PM
Should it not?

If they are so promising why can't they figure out how to pay for it themselves? Hundreds of thousands of people have done it before.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2014 8:44:26 PM
At 1/25/2014 8:11:45 PM, sadolite wrote:
Should it not?

If they are so promising why can't they figure out how to pay for it themselves? Hundreds of thousands of people have done it before.

They do. The problem is that most of them never reach their full potential, because of the time and energy they are forced to invest finding ways to pay. They should not have to worry about it.
Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2014 9:04:41 AM
At 1/25/2014 8:44:26 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:
Should it not?

They do. The problem is that most of them never reach their full potential, because of the time and energy they are forced to invest finding ways to pay. They should not have to worry about it.

Well I got news for ya, once you get out of college you will spend the rest of your life doing that very thing. Trying to figure out how to pay for things.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2014 9:30:40 AM
At 1/26/2014 9:04:41 AM, sadolite wrote:
At 1/25/2014 8:44:26 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:
Should it not?

Well I got news for ya, once you get out of college you will spend the rest of your life doing that very thing. Trying to figure out how to pay for things.

Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2014 2:29:17 PM
Where do I sign up to be a promising student?
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.