Total Posts:5|Showing Posts:1-5
Jump to topic:

Online Learning Substitution For Classrooms?

ezhang777
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2014 8:04:17 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Online teaching:

Students from grade/year 7-12 learning through technology. Based on computers, teachers students may communicate from technology.

Classroom Teaching:

The traditional way of student education. Same age group as online teaching and presents the same organisation as our current schooling e.g. Teachers, principal, student all in one school community
kiryasjoelvillage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2014 1:23:41 AM
At 2/18/2014 8:04:17 PM, ezhang777 wrote:
Online teaching:

Students from grade/year 7-12 learning through technology. Based on computers, teachers students may communicate from technology.

Classroom Teaching:

The traditional way of student education. Same age group as online teaching and presents the same organisation as our current schooling e.g. Teachers, principal, student all in one school community

Online learning is a good option, when due to some any reason you are not able to go to school. Nowadays e-learning has become a predominant form of post-secondary education.
ThoughtsandThoughts
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2014 8:28:42 PM
At 2/18/2014 8:04:17 PM, ezhang777 wrote:
Online teaching:

Classroom Teaching:

Research shows that students learn best from multiple learning methods. Also, catering to multiple intelligences improves student motivation, which may improve student success. (I don't have the book that I originally learned this from, but here's a source that talks about this stuff: http://www.ascd.org...)

With online learning as a substitution for classrooms, learning methods range mostly from reading, watching videos, completing homework/activities/tests, and video-messaging teachers or tutors. Video-messaging teachers is probably not as prevalent (prove me if I'm wrong, but I figure it's more expensive with real teacher interaction), so I don't think students who learn online are not getting enough learning methods.

Another important thing to note is that students don't have formal education on "how to learn". Therefore, many students, especially seventh graders (since they're the youngest) won't be able to get the most out of their online education. Without knowing about the psychology of memory and without having information about good studying techniques and habits, it can be very difficult for students to succeed. With a physical teacher, effective learning is promoted because teachers are trained in these matters.

For example, teachers often preview a lesson before introducing it and then review it at the end of the lesson. It's very beneficial for understanding and absorbing what has been learned. However, a student who has just seen material for the first time will not be able to preview or review it quite as well as a teacher would. Teachers typically have very in depth knowledge about the material they teach. This can allow them to explain the material in a manor that the students can't. In the past, I've had classmates who said they could do problems, but couldn't explain to others how to do the problems.

One last point I have to make... teacher interaction with students is very important. And truly only recently, it's been recognized that emotional well-being is a factor when it comes to student success. Some teachers are friendly and caring, making personal connections with their students and supporting them emotionally. Just as important is the actual learning, of course. In an actual class, there is a chance for teachers to monitor student work (walk around the class to check for issues and ask the students questions). This is an opportunity to correct issues before quizzes and test. When the answers really matter :o) Also, while online communication is an option, it is a lot easier to clear up confusion when an individual can ask a question and receive an answer immediately. The inconvenience of email or having to find a teacher during his or her free time is discouraging sometimes. Not that students are lazy, but it's not easy to keep track of every little confusion and then remember to ask for clarification.

All in all, I don't think online learning is terrible. But for certain students, it could be a disaster. Out of all the grades you said this post applied to, 11th and 12th graders would probably be able to most adequately make up for the disadvantages of online learning. Lastly, depending on how online learning is set up, I believe it could adequately reach more students. A good and creative teacher setting up the online course can really improve student outcomes. Careful planning is never a vice :)

Can you tell I want to be a teacher? Haha!
JohnPattett
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2014 9:26:55 AM
Online Learning Or Homeschooling Is A Good Experience. Its Nice To Learn Online.
Accredited High School Diploma, Online Diploma,GED, Accredited High School Diploma Online by Stanley high school.
Juris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2014 8:29:04 AM
It can never be a substitute to classroom learning because the latter offers the real and different kinds of experience.

Online learning is very limited. A person will perhaps learn but it would be limited to that. He won't experience social interactions that are experienced in classrooms. Similarly, online learning will not give a student an effective application of his learning, unlike in classroom where teachers are available to give them activities personally.

Hence, with the limitation of online classes, it will not be substitute to classroom classes but it would just be an alternative.