The words finite and infinite

Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2010 11:37:44 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
How do you pronounce them?

I notice most people pronounce infinite as "EN-FENNETT" whereas they pronounce finite as "THIGH-KNIGHT." What's up with that?
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2010 11:43:31 AM
At 1/23/2010 11:37:44 AM, Logical-Master wrote:

I notice most people pronounce infinite as "EN-FENNETT" whereas they pronounce finite as "THIGH-KNIGHT." What's up with that?

lol, that's the english language. Though I thought it was "fi-night" (like sci-"FI")
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2010 11:54:10 AM
INFINITE: http://www.merriam-webster.com...

FINITE: http://www.merriam-webster.com...

Should play the pronunciation for you if you push the red speaker after the word.
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2010 11:57:56 AM
finite: fai-night
infinite: in-fih-nit
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2010 11:58:06 AM
At 1/23/2010 11:54:10 AM, Vi_Veri wrote:

Should play the pronunciation for you if you push the red speaker after the word.

Naw, mine just tries to download the sound file, it doesn't play it.

But really, does it matter? As long as you person you are talking to knows what you meant without having to further explain yourself, then the communication was successful.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2010 10:30:11 PM

I would say...
In-fuh-nit. (but quickly, so I guess it sounds like in-feh-neht)
Figh (rhymes with high)-knight.

I've got a question if the OP doesn't mind.. My friend and I have been arguing over how to pronounce "vague". Is it with a short vowel sound "ah" or long vowel sound "aye"?
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2010 10:31:49 PM
At 1/23/2010 10:30:11 PM, TulleKrazy wrote:

I've got a question if the OP doesn't mind.. My friend and I have been arguing over how to pronounce "vague". Is it with a short vowel sound "ah" or long vowel sound "aye"?

aye

vahg sounds funny
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2010 10:31:55 PM
At 1/23/2010 10:30:11 PM, TulleKrazy wrote:

I would say...
In-fuh-nit. (but quickly, so I guess it sounds like in-feh-neht)
Figh (rhymes with high)-knight.

Long vowel sound "aye."

Vay-gue.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2010 10:36:23 PM
Funny you should bring this up. I had always pronounced finite "fin-it" until just a few months ago when it came up in a lunch-table discussion with Tyler (crackofdawn) and two other people that have accounts on this site but haven't done anything with them. Since then, I've struggled to change this pronunciation habit. I still say "fin-it", though I know I'm wrong.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2010 10:37:10 PM
At 1/23/2010 10:36:23 PM, wjmelements wrote:
Funny you should bring this up. I had always pronounced finite "fin-it" until just a few months ago when it came up in a lunch-table discussion with Tyler (crackofdawn) and two other people that have accounts on this site but haven't done anything with them. Since then, I've struggled to change this pronunciation habit. I still say "fin-it", though I know I'm wrong.

Come on, Will. You can do it.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2010 10:40:02 PM
I say "vahgue". But I have a Canadian accent so it still sort of sounds like "vaygue". I can't explain it. I pronounce "Mary" "merry" and "marry" the exact same way. So the short "a" in "marry" still sounds like "mare-ee". Vowels are so weird lol
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2010 10:42:04 PM

I say pronounce it however you want!! Keep people guessing as to where you come from lol
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2010 3:24:51 PM

I pronounce them similar, as well.

It seems so crazy to warp the pronunction of a word by adding "in-" to it. Kind of like "omnipotent" warped so that it's not just "omni-" and "potent."
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2010 6:46:07 AM
Fainaite. Thats how i pronounce finite. Although it would be fun to pronounce it "Fineet". In-fin-it would be how one should pronounce infinite. Its in the words.
alto2osu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2010 3:55:46 PM
Fie-night. In-fin-et. Vay-g. Even though I'm an English teacher, I don't buy much of the to-may-toe tom-ah-toe crap. :)

I had a student once who had the most random mispronunciations ever. Like, mah-sculine. He also pronounced wanton the adjective like wanton the delicious Chinese dumpling. It was pretty funny. He still does the wanton thing.
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2010 4:12:42 PM
I say fin-it. It makes much more sense to me.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2010 9:50:52 AM
At 1/23/2010 10:40:02 PM, TulleKrazy wrote:
I say "vahgue". But I have a Canadian accent so it still sort of sounds like "vaygue". I can't explain it. I pronounce "Mary" "merry" and "marry" the exact same way. So the short "a" in "marry" still sounds like "mare-ee". Vowels are so weird lol

lol That's a mid-western thing, too. My girlfriend use to make fun of me when we first started talking to one another because she's from New York where they differentiate between "Merry" and "Marry," and here in the mid-west we just say "Merry" for both of them. lol I've developed a lot of New Yorker speaking habits from her and differentiate the two now :p
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2010 11:03:37 AM

That Merriam-Webster audio pronunciation tool is faulty.

I tried the words below and it got them all wrong.

It pronounced "garage" as "garaash" instead of "garidge"

It pronounced "vitamin" as "vite-a-min" instead of "vit-a-min"

It pronounced "schedule" as "skedule" instead of "shedule"

It pronounced "route" as "rowt" instead of "root"

Worst of all, it not only pronounced "aluminium" as "aloo-min-um" instead of "ala-min-ium" but it spelt it wrong as well!
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2010 11:05:20 AM

It's the backwoods Texan accent.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2010 11:07:18 AM
At 1/26/2010 11:03:37 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:

That Merriam-Webster audio pronunciation tool is faulty.

I tried the words below and it got them all wrong.

It pronounced "garage" as "garaash" instead of "garidge"

It pronounced "vitamin" as "vite-a-min" instead of "vit-a-min"

It pronounced "schedule" as "skedule" instead of "shedule"

It pronounced "route" as "rowt" instead of "root"

Worst of all, it not only pronounced "aluminium" as "aloo-min-um" instead of "ala-min-ium" but it spelt it wrong as well!

It also depends on what region you live in, as to how your pronounce different words.

Many of those that you listed, it pronounced perfectly for where I live. There is no one "right" way.