Jump to topic:

Substitute teachers, and the irony

I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2010 12:04:23 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I currently have a substitute teacher for french. She seems young, maybe even fresh out of college. Strangely enough this is the second time this year we've had her, the last time running for 2 - 3 weeks, maybe this time for longer. At any rate, the irony I've found is:

Substitute teachers (And young teachers for that matter in general):

- Put it an honest and good effort.
- Make interesting classes
- Get a lack of respect and obedience from students.

Older teachers:

- Put in less of an effort
- Make for more boring classes
- Most students are afraid of their punishments and stay quiet.

This is usually in general, there are hybrids I've found which have the best of both and the worst of both. Also, I've only had one teacher here the students stay quiet out of respect.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Kahvan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2010 12:13:55 PM
At 1/26/2010 12:04:23 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
I currently have a substitute teacher for french. She seems young, maybe even fresh out of college. Strangely enough this is the second time this year we've had her, the last time running for 2 - 3 weeks, maybe this time for longer. At any rate, the irony I've found is:

Substitute teachers (And young teachers for that matter in general):

- Put it an honest and good effort.
- Make interesting classes
- Get a lack of respect and obedience from students.

Older teachers:

- Put in less of an effort
- Make for more boring classes
- Most students are afraid of their punishments and stay quiet.

This is usually in general, there are hybrids I've found which have the best of both and the worst of both. Also, I've only had one teacher here the students stay quiet out of respect.

this is probably because permanent teachers stay longer than substitutes.
alto2osu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2010 1:03:16 PM
True that. I'm a 25-year-old English teacher in a rural cesspool. Although, many of the young teachers here seem to be as worthless as the old...
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2010 8:56:52 AM
Meh, ive always found that Substitute teachers gained more respect because substitute teachers used stuff like Candy to bribe the students. In any case, if you have a hot substitute Teacher, then that alone gains much respect.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2010 10:03:32 AM
At 1/27/2010 8:56:52 AM, tkubok wrote:
Meh, ive always found that Substitute teachers gained more respect because substitute teachers used stuff like Candy to bribe the students. In any case, if you have a hot substitute Teacher, then that alone gains much respect.

Teachers at my highschool gave out candy...until a new law got passed forbidding it... No junk food in schools? Since when did one piece of candy make people fat?
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2010 11:08:53 AM
At my school it is mostly just young teachers in general that don't get respect.

At my school there are about 5 older (50+) regular substitute teachers that are quite awesome and everyone likes them.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2010 10:39:45 AM
I've got several friends and family in the teaching field or going into the education field, so Panda's comments ring familiar and true. Substitute teachers are abused because they're seen as "fresh meat." They're usually young and fresh out of college as Panda said (either still in school working on their degree, or haven't had a permanent teaching job yet). Students can pick up on their n00bness and tend to exploit it and take advantage of them and their lack of leadership experience or discipline capabilities.

At best, the sub sends them to the principal's office and the kid looks cool (like a jack a-ss) so it's worth it to 'em. Plus, students don't see any incentive on taking class seriously considering the sub isn't going to be the one grading them or there at parent/teacher conferences, and often times kids feel that their work isn't going to count for anything so they don't bother doing it. Actually, every time I've had a sub they promised that it was going to be graded but it never was lol.

Anyway these are just some of the reasons for Panda's comments. Sub teachers are brand new; fresh out of or still in college where you work on new ideas and teaching methods and fun ways to teach and all that, so they tend to be pretty good. On the flip side, they've got no experience or real powerful role where they can enforce discipline and command attention and respect. I think I hit on every sub under 30 that I've ever had since kindergarten - haha.
President of DDO
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2010 10:48:57 AM
At 2/1/2010 10:39:45 AM, theLwerd wrote:
I've got several friends and family in the teaching field or going into the education field, so Panda's comments ring familiar and true. Substitute teachers are abused because they're seen as "fresh meat." They're usually young and fresh out of college as Panda said (either still in school working on their degree, or haven't had a permanent teaching job yet). Students can pick up on their n00bness and tend to exploit it and take advantage of them and their lack of leadership experience or discipline capabilities.

At best, the sub sends them to the principal's office and the kid looks cool (like a jack a-ss) so it's worth it to 'em. Plus, students don't see any incentive on taking class seriously considering the sub isn't going to be the one grading them or there at parent/teacher conferences, and often times kids feel that their work isn't going to count for anything so they don't bother doing it. Actually, every time I've had a sub they promised that it was going to be graded but it never was lol.

Anyway these are just some of the reasons for Panda's comments. Sub teachers are brand new; fresh out of or still in college where you work on new ideas and teaching methods and fun ways to teach and all that, so they tend to be pretty good. On the flip side, they've got no experience or real powerful role where they can enforce discipline and command attention and respect. I think I hit on every sub under 30 that I've ever had since kindergarten - haha.

Yeah, me and my friend have a bet every class how many times my French sub say "Soooo....." at the beginning of starting a new topic\ sentence\ etc. We also did a Mexican wave when her back was turned. But she still tries earnestly.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.