Jump to topic:

Teachers with accents

atdt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2014 5:43:52 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Should a teacher be aloud to teach with an accent? Not due to discriminatory reasons, but simply because it could hinder students ability to learn. This seems to be a problem mainly in college though, where large lecture classes are taught by someone who english is a second language for them. I seem to think they should not be aloud to teach unless they can be easily understood in a large classroom, so the students are able to learn. Thoughts?
Adaptable
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2014 6:15:25 PM
At 4/19/2014 5:43:52 PM, atdt wrote:
Should a teacher be aloud to teach with an accent? Not due to discriminatory reasons, but simply because it could hinder students ability to learn. This seems to be a problem mainly in college though, where large lecture classes are taught by someone who english is a second language for them. I seem to think they should not be aloud to teach unless they can be easily understood in a large classroom, so the students are able to learn. Thoughts?

I think they should have to go through speech counseling in order to help smooth out their accent, but they shouldn't, not be allowed to teach because of this. For example, if they are teaching K-12 this should be more of an issue, but when it comes to college , no.

Americans need to start being better than what we are educational wise. This includes understanding other languages. Currently, the U.S. is doing a horrible job competing with the international community.
atdt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2014 6:28:51 PM
"Americans need to start being better than what we are educational wise. This includes understanding other languages. Currently, the U.S. is doing a horrible job competing with the international community."

While I agree the US does need to do better with understanding other languages, that isn't the problem because they are all speaking English. The problem is that they have such a heavy accent, that it's difficult for the students to understand.

I'm not talking about someone who moved here from Mexico when they were a teenager and has gotten over their accent, but the people who come to the US to attend grad school and teach.

These teachers do exist as being a college student I have had a handful of classes taught by them.

There are test they have to take before they can teach but as with every test some pass when they really shouldn't.
Adaptable
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2014 6:43:07 PM
At 4/19/2014 6:28:51 PM, atdt wrote:
"Americans need to start being better than what we are educational wise. This includes understanding other languages. Currently, the U.S. is doing a horrible job competing with the international community."

While I agree the US does need to do better with understanding other languages, that isn't the problem because they are all speaking English. The problem is that they have such a heavy accent, that it's difficult for the students to understand.

That was more so just an add on or an unnecessary comment I felt like saying. Sorry.

I'm not talking about someone who moved here from Mexico when they were a teenager and has gotten over their accent, but the people who come to the US to attend grad school and teach.

I understand. I still feel the way I do about speech counseling.

These teachers do exist as being a college student I have had a handful of classes taught by them.

There are test they have to take before they can teach but as with every test some pass when they really shouldn't.

Well, then there is part of your answer.