Total Posts:63|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Single gender classrooms?

YYW
Posts: 36,392
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2014 7:08:52 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I know that the PF topic was about that recently, so... that aside... would you want to have single gender classrooms? Single gender schools?
Tsar of DDO
Adaptable
Posts: 35
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 9:40:43 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/22/2014 7:08:52 PM, YYW wrote:
I know that the PF topic was about that recently, so... that aside... would you want to have single gender classrooms? Single gender schools?

They should, and do scientific studies on it, so many of these gender battles can be ended by scientific fact.
HunterK
Posts: 5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2014 4:45:49 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
As a current high school student myself I can say that I wouldn't want to separate the genders between classes. If it was all male classes or vice versa a lot more fights would break out between students. Females especially like to tear at each other and it wouldn't help to have a huge group of them in one classroom. Males would also end up forming small groups in the class to pick on the "weak ones" as I have seen from prior experiences.
Intrepid
Posts: 372
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2014 11:34:24 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Heeeeeelllll no.

I can't stand the idiocy and testosterone of many of the male students at my school. Don't get me wrong, I love them and their my friends but I don't think I could handle it 7 hours a day. I need some time with my girly friends. Heck one girl in my class is the main reason I actually look forward to school right now.
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2014 7:57:25 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
The research tends to indicate superior results from the single gender classrooms, but I would still prefer coeducational. I guess I'm just normal that way.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
Fight4Liberty
Posts: 23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2014 10:14:34 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
If you'd suppose I'd tolerate sitting with a bunch of idiotic females 9 + hours 5 days a week, I'd suggest digging my grave, quickly.

Yes, I am probably sexist against my own gender.
Revoloution
Zegrant
Posts: 1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2014 8:11:15 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Single gender schools would create an awkward society. If boys and girls were unable to interact throughout their childhood and teen years, the result would most likely be a lack of understanding of the opposite sex, and many problems would likely ensue.
ClassicRobert
Posts: 2,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2014 5:10:42 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Really, the important thing to consider with reforms to education isn't just test scores, but also the experience of school. To take away coed classes is to take away a fundamental social aspect of school that helps train you for workplaces, where you won't get to be in single gender offices (save for a small minority of types of jobs).
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
sadolite
Posts: 8,842
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2014 5:32:47 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Can't have it. That would be something that would work and improve the education of children. We have to have diversity at all costs and if that means a piss poor education so be it.

"The new studies, from the Center for American Progress and the National Education Association (NEA), seek to call attention to this "diversity gap" at elementary and secondary schools in the US. The groups want more to be done to help teachers more accurately mirror the students in their classrooms.

Teachers are always pushing their students to excel, said Kevin Gilbert, co-ordinator of teacher leadership and special projects for the Clinton Public School District in Clinton, Mississippi.

It becomes easier for students to believe "when they can look and see someone who looks just like them, that they can relate to", said Gilbert, a member of the NEA's executive committee. "Nothing can help motivate our students more than to see success standing right in front of them."

http://www.theguardian.com...

So in other words, go back to the way it was. Segregated classrooms. Children learn better and are more motivated when they are taught and with their own kind. Hey, I am just the messenger, so please don't go on your knee jerk "Your a racist" tirade.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
CanuckDebater
Posts: 1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 4:33:25 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
No. Having the mixture of male and female is what makes for a good classroom environment. Besides, unless it somehow drastically improves our learning and our education, there is absolutely no point to have an all-male classroom or an all-female classroom. It would only cause more controversy.
Fanath
Posts: 830
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 4:52:29 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/22/2014 7:08:52 PM, YYW wrote:
I know that the PF topic was about that recently, so... that aside... would you want to have single gender classrooms? Single gender schools?

No. That's terrible for the kids education.
Dude... Stop...
NiamC
Posts: 905
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2014 2:52:16 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Well actually, some of the most successful grammar schools in the UK are actually Single-gender. But in some cases like my school which is a single-gender school, there is a Female equivalent next to my school so...

Not that bad at all
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Niam est amor, vita Niam
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
xXCryptoXx
Posts: 5,000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2014 6:49:58 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
One has to remember that school isn't just about learning material, but also about learning socially. Sing-gender classrooms take that away from students.
Nolite Timere
orangemayhem
Posts: 333
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2014 2:54:41 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I remember a school near my old one had a weird system. The school was co-ed but the lessons were single-sex up until the Sixth Form (16-18) at which point they became co-ed.

I've seen all three sides of the system - I went to an all-boys' primary school, a mixed secondary school, and now a mixed boarding school with single-sex boarding houses. I've found the classroom environment benefits from being co-ed, though having some areas where you split the genders is also helpful for social development.
I'm back (ish).
Cin
Posts: 252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2014 11:31:46 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
No, I can see how it would be beneficial in some cases, but girls and guys need some eye candy ! LOL! and It's more fun to be in a variety :)
Food is life, brah
http://www.debate.org...
english123
Posts: 2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2014 5:25:03 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/23/2014 9:40:43 AM, Adaptable wrote:
At 4/22/2014 7:08:52 PM, YYW wrote:
I know that the PF topic was about that recently, so... that aside... would you want to have single gender classrooms? Single gender schools?

They should, and do scientific studies on it, so many of these gender battles can be ended by scientific fact.

Stating that "gender battles can be ended by scientific fact" is ambiguous and extreme. First, what constitutes a "gender battle?" Secondly, what "scientific fact" upholds that single sexed classrooms can end "gender battles?" There are neither textual sources nor website links to back up this claim. In fact, Professor Analia Schlosser, an economist from the Eitan Berglas School of Economics at Tel Aviv, found that the higher percentage of girls in a co-ed classroom, the better the academic performance for all students, both male and female. Although Dr. Schlosser favors a majority of one gender in a classroom, she still asserts that this is only beneficial in a coed classroom.

Schools are institutions for educating children. Classrooms are any place where one learns or gains experience (Dictionary.com). In regards to the importance of education, it is important not to only consider the academic value, but also the experience gained in school. By attending a coed school, students are given the opportunity to be pre-exposed to real life conditions. High school, in specific, is the gateway to college and future careers. How can we say that single gendered high school is a good preliminary factor if only 50% of the genders students will encounter on a daily basis are represented? In order to successfully transition into the world and get a job, academics need to be paired with the proper social skills attainable at a coed school. From personal experience I can say that attending a coed school allows me to learn from what both genders contribute to the class and it has also left me with a feeling of preparedness for when I face the world.
Conservative101
Posts: 191
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2014 1:23:32 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/22/2014 7:08:52 PM, YYW wrote:
I know that the PF topic was about that recently, so... that aside... would you want to have single gender classrooms? Single gender schools?

It would be harder to associate and learn more about the opposite gender if you're always away from them.
When in doubt, start riots and scream racism
Haroush
Posts: 1,329
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2014 9:32:18 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/22/2014 7:08:52 PM, YYW wrote:
I know that the PF topic was about that recently, so... that aside... would you want to have single gender classrooms? Single gender schools?

I think single gender classrooms would be a great idea. We should at least allow studies to be done on this. If they do, most people would be shocked at how much better the education performance would be. As far as socializing with the opposite gender, there is plenty of time for that to happen outside of school.

People wonder why orientals are the most intelligent people on earth. This is one reason why. Furthermore, oriental people push their kids for success and teach their kids to get married after they develop a career or finish their college education. And guess what? It works.
ESocialBookworm
Posts: 14,373
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2014 9:33:43 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/25/2014 9:32:18 AM, Haroush wrote:
At 4/22/2014 7:08:52 PM, YYW wrote:
I know that the PF topic was about that recently, so... that aside... would you want to have single gender classrooms? Single gender schools?

I think single gender classrooms would be a great idea. We should at least allow studies to be done on this. If they do, most people would be shocked at how much better the education performance would be. As far as socializing with the opposite gender, there is plenty of time for that to happen outside of school.

People wonder why orientals are the most intelligent people on earth. This is one reason why. Furthermore, oriental people push their kids for success and teach their kids to get married after they develop a career or finish their college education. And guess what? It works.

Errmerrgurrd! You're back! How are you?
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
klkl47
Posts: 92
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2014 2:08:28 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/6/2014 8:11:15 AM, Zegrant wrote:
Single gender schools would create an awkward society. If boys and girls were unable to interact throughout their childhood and teen years, the result would most likely be a lack of understanding of the opposite sex, and many problems would likely ensue.

No, this is not right. I attended an all girl HS. It produced amazing young women. No problem with guys in society at all. Got married to a guy who went to an all guys HS. There is absolutely no difference.

Teenage years are tough for alot of people. The boy/girl thing is one less worry in my mind, and made getting into a college a breeze for many of my classmates.

I think this idea is much better than most would think
klkl47
Posts: 92
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2014 2:12:43 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/6/2014 8:11:15 AM, Zegrant wrote:
Single gender schools would create an awkward society. If boys and girls were unable to interact throughout their childhood and teen years, the result would most likely be a lack of understanding of the opposite sex, and many problems would likely ensue.

Not this is not true. Went to all girl HS, no awkwardness at all. Married a guy and understand him pretty well, actually.

I support this for a short time (HS is ideal). Made myself and many of classmates focus on school, getting in college was a breeze, and made those awkward teenage years a little less stressful.

Better idea than most would think.
YYW
Posts: 36,392
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2014 7:06:53 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/25/2014 9:32:18 AM, Haroush wrote:
At 4/22/2014 7:08:52 PM, YYW wrote:
I know that the PF topic was about that recently, so... that aside... would you want to have single gender classrooms? Single gender schools?

I think single gender classrooms would be a great idea. We should at least allow studies to be done on this. If they do, most people would be shocked at how much better the education performance would be. As far as socializing with the opposite gender, there is plenty of time for that to happen outside of school.

People wonder why orientals are the most intelligent people on earth. This is one reason why. Furthermore, oriental people push their kids for success and teach their kids to get married after they develop a career or finish their college education. And guess what? It works.

I know I would have been happy going to an all boys school...
Tsar of DDO
Haroush
Posts: 1,329
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2014 12:58:22 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/25/2014 7:06:53 PM, YYW wrote:
At 5/25/2014 9:32:18 AM, Haroush wrote:
At 4/22/2014 7:08:52 PM, YYW wrote:
I know that the PF topic was about that recently, so... that aside... would you want to have single gender classrooms? Single gender schools?

I think single gender classrooms would be a great idea. We should at least allow studies to be done on this. If they do, most people would be shocked at how much better the education performance would be. As far as socializing with the opposite gender, there is plenty of time for that to happen outside of school.

People wonder why orientals are the most intelligent people on earth. This is one reason why. Furthermore, oriental people push their kids for success and teach their kids to get married after they develop a career or finish their college education. And guess what? It works.

I know I would have been happy going to an all boys school...

Same here.
Danielferber
Posts: 3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2014 2:48:59 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/22/2014 5:25:03 PM, english123 wrote:
At 4/23/2014 9:40:43 AM, Adaptable wrote:
At 4/22/2014 7:08:52 PM, YYW wrote:
I know that the PF topic was about that recently, so... that aside... would you want to have single gender classrooms? Single gender schools?

They should, and do scientific studies on it, so many of these gender battles can be ended by scientific fact.

Stating that "gender battles can be ended by scientific fact" is ambiguous and extreme. First, what constitutes a "gender battle?" Secondly, what "scientific fact" upholds that single sexed classrooms can end "gender battles?" There are neither textual sources nor website links to back up this claim. In fact, Professor Analia Schlosser, an economist from the Eitan Berglas School of Economics at Tel Aviv, found that the higher percentage of girls in a co-ed classroom, the better the academic performance for all students, both male and female. Although Dr. Schlosser favors a majority of one gender in a classroom, she still asserts that this is only beneficial in a coed classroom.

Schools are institutions for educating children. Classrooms are any place where one learns or gains experience (Dictionary.com). In regards to the importance of education, it is important not to only consider the academic value, but also the experience gained in school. By attending a coed school, students are given the opportunity to be pre-exposed to real life conditions. High school, in specific, is the gateway to college and future careers. How can we say that single gendered high school is a good preliminary factor if only 50% of the genders students will encounter on a daily basis are represented? In order to successfully transition into the world and get a job, academics need to be paired with the proper social skills attainable at a coed school. From personal experience I can say that attending a coed school allows me to learn from what both genders contribute to the class and it has also left me with a feeling of preparedness for when I face the world.

I definitely agree that it"s "ambiguous and extreme" to state that through scientific study, all gender battles can be ended. I disagree with other aspects of your argument. I believe that education depends on factors such as nature vs. nurture and is different for each individual student. What works in one school may not work in the next; what works with one student may not work with the next. You strengthen my argument giving your own personal experience saying, "From personal experience I can say that attending a coed school allows me to learn from what both genders contribute to the class and it has also left me with a feeling of preparedness for when I face the world". Co- educational classes may in fact have a positive effect on YOUR learning but may completely distract other students from their learning. You provided a study stating that "the higher percentage of girls in a co-ed classroom, the better the academic performance for all students, both male and female". The studies go both ways. An Australian study involving 270,000 students came to the conclusion that boys and girls score exponentially higher on standardized tests in single-sex schools than those in a co-ed environment. You stated that "by attending a coed school, students are given the opportunity to be pre-exposed to real life conditions". There are studies to disprove this as well. Precisely one-quarter of the female congress members attended an all girl school, and one-third of the fortune 100 boards graduated from all women colleges. One may thrive and prosper in either single-sex or co-ed schools, bottom line is every student is different and can have their own unique approach to education.
klkl47
Posts: 92
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2014 6:26:05 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/26/2014 12:58:22 PM, Haroush wrote:
At 5/25/2014 7:06:53 PM, YYW wrote:
At 5/25/2014 9:32:18 AM, Haroush wrote:
At 4/22/2014 7:08:52 PM, YYW wrote:
I know that the PF topic was about that recently, so... that aside... would you want to have single gender classrooms? Single gender schools?

I think single gender classrooms would be a great idea. We should at least allow studies to be done on this. If they do, most people would be shocked at how much better the education performance would be. As far as socializing with the opposite gender, there is plenty of time for that to happen outside of school.

People wonder why orientals are the most intelligent people on earth. This is one reason why. Furthermore, oriental people push their kids for success and teach their kids to get married after they develop a career or finish their college education. And guess what? It works.

I know I would have been happy going to an all boys school...

Same here.

Same, agree
englishdebate
Posts: 2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2014 9:21:19 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Polls and surveys were taken at various schools to determine if co-ed classes influenced a student"s studies. Many female students feel that learning in a co-ed setting creates an environment where the males judge what the girls say. The male students intimidate many of the girls, which make it harder for them to focus on their learning. In 2006 there was a statistic from Chicago"s Urban Prep Academy, an all boys school, that showed that only 4% of the freshman class could read at the appropriate level and by the time they were seniors they had been accepted to four-year colleges with full academic scholarships. Since they were in an all boy"s school they were able to focus and receive good grades. Since then the growth of single gender schools and programs has grown.
I do agree with many of the previous comments that oppose gender-based classrooms. Even though the statistics show that students do better in a gender based class, it is more important for students to be able to attain the ability to socialize with other races and genders. In the real world one will have to interact with both genders and be comfortable. High schools and colleges are supposed to prepare one for the real world. Therefore by attending an all gendered classroom, one fails to experience interacting with others, as one would in the real world.
klkl47
Posts: 92
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2014 9:53:44 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/29/2014 9:21:19 PM, englishdebate wrote:
Polls and surveys were taken at various schools to determine if co-ed classes influenced a student"s studies. Many female students feel that learning in a co-ed setting creates an environment where the males judge what the girls say. The male students intimidate many of the girls, which make it harder for them to focus on their learning. In 2006 there was a statistic from Chicago"s Urban Prep Academy, an all boys school, that showed that only 4% of the freshman class could read at the appropriate level and by the time they were seniors they had been accepted to four-year colleges with full academic scholarships. Since they were in an all boy"s school they were able to focus and receive good grades. Since then the growth of single gender schools and programs has grown.
I do agree with many of the previous comments that oppose gender-based classrooms. Even though the statistics show that students do better in a gender based class, it is more important for students to be able to attain the ability to socialize with other races and genders. In the real world one will have to interact with both genders and be comfortable. High schools and colleges are supposed to prepare one for the real world. Therefore by attending an all gendered classroom, one fails to experience interacting with others, as one would in the real world.

I am sorry, I don't understand the whole socialization thing. Plenty of people (myself, my husband, my good friends) were all in single gender schools. No problems with socializing. It's just false that it is a downside. I do wonder if teen pregnancies are less for students in single gender schools.
Haroush
Posts: 1,329
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2014 9:22:39 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/29/2014 9:53:44 PM, klkl47 wrote:
At 5/29/2014 9:21:19 PM, englishdebate wrote:
Polls and surveys were taken at various schools to determine if co-ed classes influenced a student"s studies. Many female students feel that learning in a co-ed setting creates an environment where the males judge what the girls say. The male students intimidate many of the girls, which make it harder for them to focus on their learning. In 2006 there was a statistic from Chicago"s Urban Prep Academy, an all boys school, that showed that only 4% of the freshman class could read at the appropriate level and by the time they were seniors they had been accepted to four-year colleges with full academic scholarships. Since they were in an all boy"s school they were able to focus and receive good grades. Since then the growth of single gender schools and programs has grown.
I do agree with many of the previous comments that oppose gender-based classrooms. Even though the statistics show that students do better in a gender based class, it is more important for students to be able to attain the ability to socialize with other races and genders. In the real world one will have to interact with both genders and be comfortable. High schools and colleges are supposed to prepare one for the real world. Therefore by attending an all gendered classroom, one fails to experience interacting with others, as one would in the real world.

I am sorry, I don't understand the whole socialization thing. Plenty of people (myself, my husband, my good friends) were all in single gender schools. No problems with socializing. It's just false that it is a downside. I do wonder if teen pregnancies are less for students in single gender schools.

Probably so. I also would say single gender classrooms help to create unity of the same sex. Meaning, instead of boys and men as seeing as each other as JUST competition, they would also see them as brothers too.

The problem in today's society is exactly this. Men are all against each other at this point while women tend to have a natural bond with each other. This being said, this isn't good.

For example, today, where I live at, it's hard for me to see other adult males as my brothers as many of them are so competitive with a lack of respect, I can't trust them enough to even open up to them as a chance to friendship.

So, why is it like this for not just me, but many other people living out there in America? It is because people have become so competitive, they have lost the need to respect each other as brothers.

Now don't get me wrong, there is growing intolerance among women as well, but this issue is much more prevalent with men than it is with women. This is why I can't comprehend how the majority of our population is so worried about women while honorable men are on their way to going extinct. Let alone the fact suicide rates are much higher among men than it is with women.

I wonder why?
klkl47
Posts: 92
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2014 3:31:23 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/30/2014 9:22:39 AM, Haroush wrote:
At 5/29/2014 9:53:44 PM, klkl47 wrote:
At 5/29/2014 9:21:19 PM, englishdebate wrote:
Polls and surveys were taken at various schools to determine if co-ed classes influenced a student"s studies. Many female students feel that learning in a co-ed setting creates an environment where the males judge what the girls say. The male students intimidate many of the girls, which make it harder for them to focus on their learning. In 2006 there was a statistic from Chicago"s Urban Prep Academy, an all boys school, that showed that only 4% of the freshman class could read at the appropriate level and by the time they were seniors they had been accepted to four-year colleges with full academic scholarships. Since they were in an all boy"s school they were able to focus and receive good grades. Since then the growth of single gender schools and programs has grown.
I do agree with many of the previous comments that oppose gender-based classrooms. Even though the statistics show that students do better in a gender based class, it is more important for students to be able to attain the ability to socialize with other races and genders. In the real world one will have to interact with both genders and be comfortable. High schools and colleges are supposed to prepare one for the real world. Therefore by attending an all gendered classroom, one fails to experience interacting with others, as one would in the real world.

I am sorry, I don't understand the whole socialization thing. Plenty of people (myself, my husband, my good friends) were all in single gender schools. No problems with socializing. It's just false that it is a downside. I do wonder if teen pregnancies are less for students in single gender schools.

Probably so. I also would say single gender classrooms help to create unity of the same sex. Meaning, instead of boys and men as seeing as each other as JUST competition, they would also see them as brothers too.

The problem in today's society is exactly this. Men are all against each other at this point while women tend to have a natural bond with each other. This being said, this isn't good.

For example, today, where I live at, it's hard for me to see other adult males as my brothers as many of them are so competitive with a lack of respect, I can't trust them enough to even open up to them as a chance to friendship.

So, why is it like this for not just me, but many other people living out there in America? It is because people have become so competitive, they have lost the need to respect each other as brothers.

Now don't get me wrong, there is growing intolerance among women as well, but this issue is much more prevalent with men than it is with women. This is why I can't comprehend how the majority of our population is so worried about women while honorable men are on their way to going extinct. Let alone the fact suicide rates are much higher among men than it is with women.

I wonder why?

I love this forum because I learn alot about men. True. You never see 2 guys just out on a friendship walk, like with women. I think that single gender education could create bonds. It seems from what I've heard the military used to create that bond for men, but it is harder for them for some reason.
Except for at bars. Guys seem more at home there for some reason. (sorry not intentionally stereotyping).
debateme123
Posts: 1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2014 10:06:58 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Stating that "gender battles can be ended by scientific fact" is ambiguous and extreme. First, what constitutes a "gender battle?" Secondly, what "scientific fact" upholds that single sexed classrooms can end "gender battles?" There are neither textual sources nor website links to back up this claim. In fact, Professor Analia Schlosser, an economist from the Eitan Berglas School of Economics at Tel Aviv, found that the higher percentage of girls in a co-ed classroom, the better the academic performance for all students, both male and female. Although Dr. Schlosser favors a majority of one gender in a classroom, she still asserts that this is only beneficial in a coed classroom.

Schools are institutions for educating children. Classrooms are any place where one learns or gains experience (Dictionary.com). In regards to the importance of education, it is important not to only consider the academic value, but also the experience gained in school. By attending a coed school, students are given the opportunity to be pre-exposed to real life conditions. High school, in specific, is the gateway to college and future careers. How can we say that single gendered high school is a good preliminary factor if only 50% of the genders students will encounter on a daily basis are represented? In order to successfully transition into the world and get a job, academics need to be paired with the proper social skills attainable at a coed school. From personal experience I can say that attending a coed school allows me to learn from what both genders contribute to the class and it has also left me with a feeling of preparedness for when I face the world.

While the study that you bring in displays that, in select cases, girls perform better academically in a coed school, you are overlooking a major aspect of schooling. The purpose of school is not only academics, but also, as you state in your argument, "the experience gained in school." This "experience" can most closely be linked to the social lessons that students attain in school. This being said, there is much to say about studies which have proven that single sex education has gentler, more controlled social outlets. Meaning, while academically speaking children may thrive in coed environments, socially, a single sex education may be more beneficial. In fact, a national study from UCLA Graduate School of Education & Information Studies claims to show that girls from single sex schools have an edge over their coed peers, socially, as they progress into the the real world. This would suggest that the "experience" you mentioned as being crucial to education is better fostered in students in a single sex environment.

Additionally, you stated that school cannot be a good preliminary factor if only 50% of the genders students will encounter be represented. You suggested that this would make social skills for the workforce subpar for students educated in single sex environments. I would like to argue the opposite. The fact that girls would be separate from boys would not give them lower social skills, rather allow them to grow in a place which would foster stronger identities and opinions, as well as interests, so that they are comfortable with who they are as they transition into the real world. Once a person is comfortable in their own skin, having those social interactions you speak of will be much easier and less stressful for young adults, as well as assure that they have a strong sense of self before going into the workforce.

Another proof is that single sex classrooms can break down gender stereotypes, allowing girls and boys to develop themselves in ways which will greatly prepare them for a future that they will enjoy. Girls in single sex schools are free of pressures to compete in male dominated settings, such as maths or science. Boys are also free of this pressure in single sex settings, which encourages them to participate in more traditionally "feminine" subjects such as music or art. A single sex school can offer a sense of confidence in students, as well as allow them to foster interest they would not be able to in a coed environment. Therefore, while one may take issue in 50% of the population missing, therefore a lack in social ability to interact with the opposite sex, a single sex school uses this to its advantage as it allows girls and boys to flourish in a way they may not be able to if they were in a coed school. A single sex school allows students to grow in an environment fitted specifically for them, therefore making it the place most conducive for learning and growing as a functioning part of society.These reasons prove that the drawbacks of single sex schools are overshadowed by the benefit that a single sex classrooms can reap.