Jump to topic:

Common Core Mathematics

Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 2:02:36 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
This is my first time hearing about common core mathematics and reading about the complex nature it really does seem like it is more harmful than good. Here is the article I was reading, and I would appreciate some insights from either children currently subjected to this system or individuals who are familiar with this method and have an opinion.

http://www.realfarmacy.com...

Thoughts?
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
nikidavis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 3:12:10 PM
I don't like common core. I especially hate the math, in the example used in the link was terrible. I do not know why people would use that method. One other thing bothering me is the showing your work aspect of it. I think it's great to teach students how to do it and different ways to do it, but forcing a child to do something they may be able to do in their heads with accuracy is repetitive and annoying.
One day I saw a man walking down the street, and he walked up to me and said, "Did you know that humans are the only species who tear down trees to make paper, and then write 'save the trees!' on them." I was amazed, then everyone else looked at him and glared with annoyance. I was the only one that actually cared, about the trees, about the man, about the world.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 7:45:38 PM
I have a ten year old boy and I send his homework back with notes on it telling his teacher this is the stupidest most moronic and confusing crap ever. I can't belive this crap comes from what are supposed to be the smartest people on the planet. I could do better teaching kids math, because I do. I tell my son to just ignore what it says and teach him the right way. If the answers are right they are right.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 10:43:29 PM
At 4/23/2014 3:12:10 PM, nikidavis wrote:
I don't like common core. I especially hate the math, in the example used in the link was terrible. I do not know why people would use that method. One other thing bothering me is the showing your work aspect of it. I think it's great to teach students how to do it and different ways to do it, but forcing a child to do something they may be able to do in their heads with accuracy is repetitive and annoying.

I wonder if this is just a public school thing... whether they are simply attempting to widen the gap between the working class and upper class by shaping the way they think and approach the world while they are still children. I just don't see why they are trying to change the method when it so clearly works...
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 10:52:21 PM
At 4/23/2014 7:45:38 PM, sadolite wrote:
I have a ten year old boy and I send his homework back with notes on it telling his teacher this is the stupidest most moronic and confusing crap ever. I can't belive this crap comes from what are supposed to be the smartest people on the planet. I could do better teaching kids math, because I do. I tell my son to just ignore what it says and teach him the right way. If the answers are right they are right.

This is what concerns me the most. I'm 24 and will probably have children within a decade. I'm concerned that this is what they will be taught and I just see no rational reasoning as to why they would change the method of learning when it's worked for so long. I don't fully understand what the true purpose is.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2014 8:53:54 AM
At 4/23/2014 10:52:21 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

This is what concerns me the most. I'm 24 and will probably have children within a decade. I'm concerned that this is what they will be taught and I just see no rational reasoning as to why they would change the method of learning when it's worked for so long. I don't fully understand what the true purpose is.

The purpose is federal control of all of academia. Once common core is in all fifty states you will see education move dramatically even more than it is now to indoctrination instead of education. My god, how can anyone not see this.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2014 4:18:24 PM
At 4/24/2014 8:53:54 AM, sadolite wrote:

The purpose is federal control of all of academia. Once common core is in all fifty states you will see education move dramatically even more than it is now to indoctrination instead of education. My god, how can anyone not see this.

I am seeing this... that's what is driving me crazy! How can I ever let my children be subjected to such things, it's really just disheartening. You seem to have found a balance though by being able to show your kids the correct methods... would it be possible for me to do the same if I end up having a 9 - 5 career after finishing college?
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2014 4:53:34 PM
At 4/24/2014 4:18:24 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

I am seeing this... that's what is driving me crazy! How can I ever let my children be subjected to such things, it's really just disheartening. You seem to have found a balance though by being able to show your kids the correct methods... would it be possible for me to do the same if I end up having a 9 - 5 career after finishing college?

If you have time to spend on yourself, you have time to teach your children. Life is about time management. Those who manage it the best accomplish the most. It all boils down to your own ambition. You will do what you want to do. If teaching your children right from wrong is something you want to do, you will make time and do it. If not then you will send them to some else and hope for the best and get the worst.

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2014 5:02:38 PM
At 4/24/2014 4:53:34 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 4/24/2014 4:18:24 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

If you have time to spend on yourself, you have time to teach your children. Life is about time management. Those who manage it the best accomplish the most. It all boils down to your own ambition. You will do what you want to do. If teaching your children right from wrong is something you want to do, you will make time and do it. If not then you will send them to some else and hope for the best and get the worst.

You are required by law to educate your children to high school level or until the age of 18. People have three options. You can send them to a private school that meets your educational criteria. You can home school them or you can do what 95% of us with children do who can't afford to do the first two options. Send them to public school and attempt to unlearn all the useless crap and lies that it teaches and replace it with commonsense useful information. As long as they get the answers right on the FCAT tests the will pass regardless of how they came to the correct answer.

Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2014 10:06:55 PM
At 4/24/2014 5:02:38 PM, sadolite wrote:
If teaching your children right from wrong is something you want to do, you will make time and do it. If not then you will send them to some else and hope for the best and get the worst.

That is so true. Thanks for that, sometimes I need good ole' basic truth to help me see the way.

You are required by law to educate your children to high school level or until the age of 18. People have three options. You can send them to a private school that meets your educational criteria. You can home school them or you can do what 95% of us with children do who can't afford to do the first two options. Send them to public school and attempt to unlearn all the useless crap and lies that it teaches and replace it with commonsense useful information. As long as they get the answers right on the FCAT tests the will pass regardless of how they came to the correct answer.

Good point. I went to a private school from pre-k to 8th and learned more than I ever did in the four years at my public highschool. It really was just all about the FCAT which is ridiculous in it's own way. I guess the best choice would be to find a career that I am passionate about and hopefully earn enough to support my childrens private school costs. If not though, it's comforting knowing that it is possible to still shape your children even when they are exposed to such nonsense at public schools. I had a freak out, you were the voice of reason and speak from personal experience. I both respect that, and thank you for it. I kinda needed to hear this.
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2014 10:22:36 PM
At 4/23/2014 2:02:36 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
This is my first time hearing about common core mathematics and reading about the complex nature it really does seem like it is more harmful than good. Here is the article I was reading, and I would appreciate some insights from either children currently subjected to this system or individuals who are familiar with this method and have an opinion.

Thoughts?

Common core? They really intensified this stuff in the past 3 years. I'm fine with calculators, graphs, and lattice. To be honest, 90% of the equations you learn in common core are useless.
Leader of the DDO Revolution Party
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2014 10:25:42 PM

Thoughts?

It should also be noted, that the states that took steps past common core (Intensifying it), like Texas and Wisconsin, also have the worst education in America. Texas ranks the worst in the US, and the legislature passes a learning bill once a day. Perhaps school needs to be simplified, not complicated?
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2014 10:26:33 PM
At 4/24/2014 10:22:36 PM, Jifpop09 wrote:

Thoughts?

Common core? They really intensified this stuff in the past 3 years. I'm fine with calculators, graphs, and lattice. To be honest, 90% of the equations you learn in common core are useless.

You're 16 right? Was there ever a time when you learned math the basic, simple way and then noticed a difference in method more recently? I keep hearing that it's still being accepted as we speak meaning that alot of middle and highschoolers might have experienced both systems at some point. Was this the case for you? Or were you always working with common core?
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2014 10:28:31 PM
At 4/24/2014 10:26:33 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

Thoughts?

You're 16 right? Was there ever a time when you learned math the basic, simple way and then noticed a difference in method more recently? I keep hearing that it's still being accepted as we speak meaning that alot of middle and highschoolers might have experienced both systems at some point. Was this the case for you? Or were you always working with common core?

I actually live in Michigan, which has taken steps WAY past the common core standards. Its near impossible keeping up with this insanely difficult $hit. Give us simple mathematics, and make advanced themes electoral.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2014 10:28:54 PM
At 4/24/2014 10:25:42 PM, Jifpop09 wrote:

Thoughts?

It should also be noted, that the states that took steps past common core (Intensifying it), like Texas and Wisconsin, also have the worst education in America. Texas ranks the worst in the US, and the legislature passes a learning bill once a day. Perhaps school needs to be simplified, not complicated?

I feel like the entire school system needs a revival. It is outdated. I'd like your opinion on this video as well if you have a few minutes to check it out. It's pretty neat and incredibly interesting. Doesn't really have to do with common core, but more of the entire structure of education as a whole.
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2014 10:29:58 PM
At 4/24/2014 10:28:54 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

Thoughts?

I feel like the entire school system needs a revival. It is outdated. I'd like your opinion on this video as well if you have a few minutes to check it out. It's pretty neat and incredibly interesting. Doesn't really have to do with common core, but more of the entire structure of education as a whole.

I'll check it out tomorrow. I'm going cross country once I wake up, so I need proper sleep.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2014 10:30:24 PM
At 4/24/2014 10:28:31 PM, Jifpop09 wrote:
At 4/24/2014 10:26:33 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

Thoughts?

I actually live in Michigan, which has taken steps WAY past the common core standards. Its near impossible keeping up with this insanely difficult $hit. Give us simple mathematics, and make advanced themes electoral.

That is so frustrating to hear. This movement of complicating such easy stuff like basic mathematics is so ridiculous. Sadolite made a good point earlier that it's nothing more than indoctrination vs free thinking.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2014 10:31:05 PM
At 4/24/2014 10:29:58 PM, Jifpop09 wrote:

Thoughts?

I'll check it out tomorrow. I'm going cross country once I wake up, so I need proper sleep.

Cool, well have a safe trip and definitely let me know what you think once you get a chance to watch it.
Jifpop09
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2014 2:06:06 PM
At 4/24/2014 10:31:05 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 4/24/2014 10:29:58 PM, Jifpop09 wrote:

Thoughts?

Cool, well have a safe trip and definitely let me know what you think once you get a chance to watch it.

I checked it out. I liked the part about artistic and divergent thinking. The only classes that require any real thought, and lot linear steps, are art and LA
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2014 3:48:54 PM
At 4/24/2014 10:06:55 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 4/24/2014 5:02:38 PM, sadolite wrote:
If teaching your children right from wrong is something you want to do, you will make time and do it. If not then you will send them to some else and hope for the best and get the worst.

That is so true. Thanks for that, sometimes I need good ole' basic truth to help me see the way.

Good point. I went to a private school from pre-k to 8th and learned more than I ever did in the four years at my public highschool. It really was just all about the FCAT which is ridiculous in it's own way. I guess the best choice would be to find a career that I am passionate about and hopefully earn enough to support my childrens private school costs. If not though, it's comforting knowing that it is possible to still shape your children even when they are exposed to such nonsense at public schools. I had a freak out, you were the voice of reason and speak from personal experience. I both respect that, and thank you for it. I kinda needed to hear this.

Thanks for the comp. Good luck to you.