What School Do You Attend?

Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2010 7:41:12 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Edmonds Community College
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2010 7:49:01 PM
Peikoff attended U of Manitoba then NYU, both public schools.

Rand went to the University of Petrograd.

I think you misread the manual, we're supposed to advocate abolition, not jump off the train before it stops.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2010 7:50:15 PM
Correction, NYU is not public.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2010 7:51:22 PM
At 2/5/2010 7:49:01 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Peikoff attended U of Manitoba then NYU, both public schools.

Rand went to the University of Petrograd.

I think you misread the manual, we're supposed to advocate abolition, not jump off the train before it stops.

That was a really nice comeback, I thought he pwnd you fur a second.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2010 7:53:07 PM
At 2/5/2010 7:52:00 PM, Nags wrote:
At 2/5/2010 7:50:15 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Bastard.
That's what Objectivism is all about.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2010 7:55:33 PM

Bastard.

http://pastehtml.com...
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2010 7:57:55 PM
At 2/5/2010 7:55:33 PM, wjmelements wrote:

Bastard.

That actually scared me for a sec.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2010 8:06:07 PM

Bastard.

Haha, oh, wow, that was mean..
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2010 8:18:30 PM

right, and its ok to get financial aid as long as you don't think its ok to get financial aid. not twisted at all :P
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2010 8:20:29 PM
At 2/5/2010 8:18:30 PM, belle wrote:

right, and its ok to get financial aid as long as you don't think its ok to get financial aid. not twisted at all :P

Your being stole from to pay for it anyway.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2010 8:24:25 PM

right, and its ok to get financial aid as long as you don't think its ok to tax people for the purpose of financial aid. not twisted at all :

People are going to be taxed for financial aid at this rate. If libertarians all disadvantage themselves deliberately by not taking the benefits they'll be paying for later, they will have less influence and people will be taxed MORE for financial aid. This is obviously counterproductive.

Incidentally according to your profile you're a libertarian opposed to social programs attending a public school so why are you riding in an imaginary limping high horse? It's not even your horse.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2010 8:33:00 PM
At 2/5/2010 8:20:29 PM, FREEDO wrote:

be that as it may, freedo, what kind of psychological shuffling has to go on in order to decide "i hate this program but i am going to utilize it anyways"? it seems dishonest to me.

"The recipient of a public scholarship is morally justified only so long as he regards it as restitution and opposed all forms of welfare statism"
-you know who, "The Question of Scholarships"

i just remember reading that essay and laughing to myself. its so convoluted.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2010 8:38:53 PM
At 2/5/2010 8:33:00 PM, belle wrote:

be that as it may, freedo, what kind of psychological shuffling has to go on in order to decide "i hate this program but i am going to utilize it anyways"? it seems dishonest to me.
I'd rather have a world in which it was impossible to kill people.

Until that happens, I'm going to defend myself.

Especially when doing so in the long run is more likely to bring the world closer to that anyway :P.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2010 8:48:44 PM
At 2/5/2010 8:38:53 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Especially when doing so in the long run is more likely to bring the world closer to that anyway :P.

self defense is a little more involved than just giving anyone who thinks murder is wrong a green light to have at it. if you want to assume that through your taxers, and your parents taxes, the "restitution" comes out equal than fine, but since "the sum of individual losses can't be computed" it still sounds like a pretty lame excuse to me rather than a well reasoned case. after all, "if he has reached college age he has undoubtedly paid- in hidden taxes- much more than the amount of the scholarship."

uhuh. convenient.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2010 8:51:39 PM
At 2/5/2010 8:48:44 PM, belle wrote:
At 2/5/2010 8:38:53 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

self defense is a little more involved than just giving anyone who thinks murder is wrong a green light to have at it.
That's not what's being done here.The qualifier is that the use of the state's programs has to be in direct pursuivance of putting a stop to them.

Granted, that's not Rand's qualifier, but it is mine.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2010 8:56:53 PM
As an example, "murder" in the pursuivance of stopping--

what do you know? A murderer. :P
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2010 8:57:52 PM
At 2/5/2010 8:51:39 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
That's not what's being done here.The qualifier is that the use of the state's programs has to be in direct pursuivance of putting a stop to them.

so its ok to allow the state to pay your education so long as once you are educated you use your position in society to end public education?

still seems weasley (i can benefit but no one else should!) but i suppose if the system were different there would (likely) be different options available that were slightly reasonable and didn't involve dependence on the state.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2010 9:00:47 PM
At 2/5/2010 8:57:52 PM, belle wrote:
At 2/5/2010 8:51:39 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

so its ok to allow the state to pay your education so long as once you are educated you use your position in society to end public education?

still seems weasley (i can benefit but no one else should!)
Wrong. I can benefit and so can others. But the state should stop offering.

And if it stops offering right now, right before I walk in to fill out the forums, that's totally cool with me.

Go on, government. Your move. End the financial aid program and I will (obviously) no longer receive benefits from it.

but i suppose if the system were different there would (likely) be different options available that were slightly reasonable and didn't involve dependence on the state.
Yes, there would. :P
True2GaGa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2010 9:23:05 PM
At 2/5/2010 7:57:55 PM, Nags wrote:

Bastard.