Homework learning

wargod06
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2014 8:35:18 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
-A System Hindering the Learning of Those Who Want To Learn-
I believe our education system is hindering our ability to learn correctly, nothing thats happening is correctly changing it for the best of its ability to help those who want to learn, it is just another label for something that doesn"t work in the first place and it"s going over and over constantly. You get shuffled around 8 hours a day, 5 days a week and when you get home the work doesn't stop. It would be okay if our education system wasn"t 80% wasted time. But really what goes on in any public school? You show up to class, the teacher talks for 5 minutes and then gives you busy work to do. 4 or 5 kids in the class actually understand what's going on and can discuss the subject, but the other 20 will just chat it up and be happy to get a C on their test, but half of the teachers just say you should have studied more or maybe you should have done your work but in reality they can"t learn that way. In my opinion, take the students who are interested and willing to take the extra time to learn and put them into their own programs where they can excel and go beyond normal learning for them and get the stuff they need and the learning type that helps them. These are the kids who have a natural interest in learning. All the other kids are going to forget all the facts they were forced to memorize anyway. And it's not like being educated is valued in this society, no one asks you how smart you are they take your grades. 80% of the jobs in the world are more about personality than "doing busy work".
I'm more against the current methods in the U.S.A. for schooling altogether. It's not slavery, yet for some people it feels like it and it"s highly unnecessary. Homework should be more along the lines of extra credit for the mind. Say you have student A, who does their homework on time and really tries each night. Comes the end of the year has a B average for tests\quizzes. There should be more leniency to bump that grade up to an A. Now you have student B. Who hasn't done a single homework assignment yet gets an A (or a B) on all tests\quizzes. In my opinion that student should also receive an A (or B). Regardless of how they received the information, (unless cheating obviously) they gained the knowledge either way so why does it matter how they gained it? Homework is more along the lines of forced studying and some people in this life don"t need that it just comes naturally. How can you kill a dead horse if its already dead? Let's say i'm forced to go into a room and eat a dinner for example. They tell me to be there for an hour but it takes me 10 minutes to eat, the way I eat shouldn"t matter, or how much I eat shouldn"t matter I still gained a dinner. One could argue that if a person is bored in school they could go beyond what the teacher is teaching, but it was my personal experience that I would be "punished" for this type of thing. You aren't allowed to leave class early to go to the library or even go ahead in the lesson. You are forced to sit in the classroom until class is over. There are a lot of insecure control freak teachers out there. Just because my view on school is negative doesn't mean I haven"t gotten anything out of it. Don"t get me wrong I love learning, It"s just the way they make me do it that is preventing me from.
Maybe we should stop focusing on the grade that people get and actually focus on how well the student knows the information he is taught. A grade means nothing if its perceived on how well you conform to a flawed system in the first place. For the most part, their learning is mostly memorization, studying for entrance exams and lots of cramming which they will forget when it is no longer necessary. Someone who wants to learn will probably not need homework anyway. It is ironic that in schools there are posters everyone saying along the lines of the same thing "No Two People are the Same" yet they teach everyone the same way because why, It takes longer to know how the kids learns with what tactics they use or what they want to learn and their passion in life is; We take more time in school and working then anything, even spending time with our family, it"s actually quite sad that they don"t take time out of their day to help us with what our passion in life is.
-Wargod06-
wargod06
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2014 8:32:04 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
-A System Hindering the Learning of Those Who Want To Learn-
I believe our education system is hindering our ability to learn correctly, nothing thats happening is correctly changing it for the best of its ability to help those who want to learn, it is just another label for something that doesn"t work in the first place and it"s going over and over constantly. You get shuffled around 8 hours a day, 5 days a week and when you get home the work doesn't stop. It would be okay if our education system wasn"t 80% wasted time. But really what goes on in any public school? You show up to class, the teacher talks for 5 minutes and then gives you busy work to do. 4 or 5 kids in the class actually understand what's going on and can discuss the subject, but the other 20 will just chat it up and be happy to get a C on their test, but half of the teachers just say you should have studied more or maybe you should have done your work but in reality they can"t learn that way. In my opinion, take the students who are interested and willing to take the extra time to learn and put them into their own programs where they can excel and go beyond normal learning for them and get the stuff they need and the learning type that helps them. These are the kids who have a natural interest in learning. All the other kids are going to forget all the facts they were forced to memorize anyway. And it's not like being educated is valued in this society, no one asks you how smart you are they take your grades. 80% of the jobs in the world are more about personality than "doing busy work".
I'm more against the current methods in the U.S.A. for schooling altogether. It's not slavery, yet for some people it feels like it and it"s highly unnecessary. Homework should be more along the lines of extra credit for the mind. Say you have student A, who does their homework on time and really tries each night. Comes the end of the year has a B average for tests\quizzes. There should be more leniency to bump that grade up to an A. Now you have student B. Who hasn't done a single homework assignment yet gets an A (or a B) on all tests\quizzes. In my opinion that student should also receive an A (or B). Regardless of how they received the information, (unless cheating obviously) they gained the knowledge either way so why does it matter how they gained it? Homework is more along the lines of forced studying and some people in this life don"t need that it just comes naturally. How can you kill a dead horse if its already dead? Let's say i'm forced to go into a room and eat a dinner for example. They tell me to be there for an hour but it takes me 10 minutes to eat, the way I eat shouldn"t matter, or how much I eat shouldn"t matter I still gained a dinner. One could argue that if a person is bored in school they could go beyond what the teacher is teaching, but it was my personal experience that I would be "punished" for this type of thing. You aren't allowed to leave class early to go to the library or even go ahead in the lesson. You are forced to sit in the classroom until class is over. There are a lot of insecure control freak teachers out there. Just because my view on school is negative doesn't mean I haven"t gotten anything out of it. Don"t get me wrong I love learning, It"s just the way they make me do it that is preventing me from. If a child has mastered a skill, there is no reason to waste time drilling it over and over, especially when they are struggling in other areas.
Maybe we should stop focusing on the grade that people get and actually focus on how well the student knows the information he is taught. A grade means nothing if its perceived on how well you conform to a flawed system in the first place. For the most part, their learning is mostly memorization, studying for entrance exams and lots of cramming which they will forget when it is no longer necessary. Someone who wants to learn will probably not need homework anyway. It is ironic that in schools there are posters everyone saying along the lines of the same thing "No Two People are the Same" yet they teach everyone the same way because why, It takes longer to know how the kids learns with what tactics they use or what they want to learn and their passion in life is; We take more time in school and working then anything, even spending time with our family, it"s actually quite sad that they don"t take time out of their day to help us with what our passion in life is. I grant you at a time homework was a genius idea but now a days kids want "a life", so they just bulls*** their way or cheat their way through the homework they don"t understand because most teachers use it to teach the kids how to do the one subject, so they never learn anything and everything goes downhill from there fail the tests because they don"t know the material and I guarantee you they don"t pay attention in class. Yet they still pass the class, how is that you ask? It"s because that homework they bulls***ted is so looked out upon and therefore such a high percent of the grade but they don"t know the subject matter and no one will help they because most parents won't help them with the homework and they end up struggling through the rest of the subject just because they wanted to follow their passion or even hang out with there family. So why do people who want to hinder the people who want to learn with homework, but value their family more than a piece of paper with words and no value or point that the teacher assigns.
-Wargod06-