Total Posts:2|Showing Posts:1-2
Jump to topic:

We are we not abolishing rote learning yet?

Dott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 4:59:32 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Before we begin, don't get me wrong. Memorisation of the very basic knowledge is necessary but other than that, there's no good reason to rote learn.

I'm not sure which are the countries that have already abolished rote learning, but I know that Singapore, where I'm from is not one of the countries. I have schoolmates who do academically better than me, but when I ask them why certain mathematical formulae are how they are, they can't answer me but I'm able to figure them out myself. Teachers don't explain many things and it's making learning difficult.

I'm facing a situation where I may not be able to enjoy further study in Singapore. I'm now in high school (we call it secondary school). Subjects like Geography and Social Studies is being taught by telling students to memorise answers of questions which may or may not come out in the exams. Those are also my weaker subjects and if I don't do well in them, I'm not going to have a good time.

If you support rote learning, you're probably someone who doesn't like thinking or just doesn't think. That's fine, but if you continue supporting it, you're just ruining the lives of the future generation, especially the smart ones. Evolution chose us to be the most intelligent species known in the universe, but we're not making good use of it.
Please abolish rote learning.
Dott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2014 5:07:08 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
The topic should be "Why are we not abolishing rote learning yet?". There's a typo.
Please abolish rote learning.