Jump to topic:

Dead Animals for Labs

Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2014 10:42:20 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
What are your thoughts on using dead animals for lab experiments or other educational purposes in school?

Nowadays, apparently there are computer simulations that teach you just as much as if you were using real specimens.

I'm an AP Biology student, and I had to skin a kitten yesterday, and in a few hours, I'm going to observe its organs.

There are many people in my school who object to this. They say its gross, cruel, and unnecessary since we have computer simulations now.

I don't see how anyone can have a problem with this though. Yes, it's gross, but that shouldn't bother an AP Biology student, who is interested in these kinds of things. I fail to see how it is cruel since this kitten is already dead (and we didn't kill her). I think this is a great learning experience that you just can have equally in a simulation.
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2014 1:32:00 PM
At 5/27/2014 10:42:20 PM, Defro wrote:
What are your thoughts on using dead animals for lab experiments or other educational purposes in school?

Nowadays, apparently there are computer simulations that teach you just as much as if you were using real specimens.

I'm an AP Biology student, and I had to skin a kitten yesterday, and in a few hours, I'm going to observe its organs.

There are many people in my school who object to this. They say its gross, cruel, and unnecessary since we have computer simulations now.

I don't see how anyone can have a problem with this though. Yes, it's gross, but that shouldn't bother an AP Biology student, who is interested in these kinds of things. I fail to see how it is cruel since this kitten is already dead (and we didn't kill her).

I would imagine that the cruelty aspect of this would be due to the fact that your school bought the dead kittens from a company that obviously has no regard for the lives of the kittens and almost certainly has no regard for the welfare of the kittens themselves. The students would have to own that responsibility since the money they are paying the school ends up funding this inhumanity. Thus the students have a right to object assuming they don't want to engage in animal cruelty.

I think this is a great learning experience that you just can have equally in a simulation.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2014 1:25:04 AM
At 6/2/2014 1:32:00 PM, vbaculum wrote:

I don't see how anyone can have a problem with this though. Yes, it's gross, but that shouldn't bother an AP Biology student, who is interested in these kinds of things. I fail to see how it is cruel since this kitten is already dead (and we didn't kill her).

I would imagine that the cruelty aspect of this would be due to the fact that your school bought the dead kittens from a company that obviously has no regard for the lives of the kittens and almost certainly has no regard for the welfare of the kittens themselves. The students would have to own that responsibility since the money they are paying the school ends up funding this inhumanity. Thus the students have a right to object assuming they don't want to engage in animal cruelty.

Actually the kitten was donated by one of the students. His cat gave birth to a litter and one of the kittens died after a month, so he donated it to the lab. After cutting it up, we even determined why it died!
Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2014 1:26:19 AM
At 6/3/2014 1:25:04 AM, Defro wrote:
At 6/2/2014 1:32:00 PM, vbaculum wrote:

Actually the kitten was donated by one of the students. His cat gave birth to a litter and one of the kittens died after a month, so he donated it to the lab. After cutting it up, we even determined why it died!

But I see your point because in most cases the dead specimens are given to schools from those companies.