Jump to topic:

Borrowing books without permission?

Dishoungh
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2014 11:21:03 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Is borrowing books without permission wrong? What if you bring the book back at the end of the year just like everyone else?

I take Economics and the school didn't provide enough books for the entire class. So, we had to use the online version. But, in order to do that, we had to have an account to use the book because, for some odd reason, they don't want anyone to go in there and look at information I guess. So, I kept forgetting my password and I was too lazy to go in there to read the online book as it was much harder than to just simply get a physical book and read. So, I went to my other class and I found an Economics book sitting there and the teacher said she doesn't own that book. So, I decided to borrow it until it was time to return the books at the end of the school year. I'm going to return the book tomorrow. So, somebody figured out that I borrowed a book and said I stole the book. This was, I believe, some random teacher. She said that I must use the book with permission. I thought that claim was nonsense because, first of all, it helped me throughout the school year. Second of all, I'm using it for productive purposes and to make it easier for myself. Third of all, I'm going to return it tomorrow. It's not stealing if you return it back. Like, this one time. I was on a cruise and then we went to this store. I grabbed this pair of goggles and held on to it for too long. If I hold something for too long, I will eventually forget that it's in my hand. So, that happened to me. I walked out of the store and I realized that the goggles were in my hand, and quickly returned them to its rightful place. I don't steal at all on purpose. I hate stealing. Resorting to stealing is cheap. In my view, stealing is for people who can't legitimately own things for themselves. I want to own my own s**t legitimately and have it for myself to use, not steal someone's rightfully owned items. That's just being lazy to be independent in my eyes.

Anyway, do you guys think that I stole it and did I do wrong?
I may be somewhat ingenuous. But, I will defy against all odds to seek righteousness and justice. That's my goal.
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2014 8:51:43 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/1/2014 11:21:03 PM, Dishoungh wrote:
Is borrowing books without permission wrong? What if you bring the book back at the end of the year just like everyone else?

I take Economics and the school didn't provide enough books for the entire class. So, we had to use the online version. But, in order to do that, we had to have an account to use the book because, for some odd reason, they don't want anyone to go in there and look at information I guess. So, I kept forgetting my password and I was too lazy to go in there to read the online book as it was much harder than to just simply get a physical book and read. So, I went to my other class and I found an Economics book sitting there and the teacher said she doesn't own that book. So, I decided to borrow it until it was time to return the books at the end of the school year. I'm going to return the book tomorrow. So, somebody figured out that I borrowed a book and said I stole the book. This was, I believe, some random teacher. She said that I must use the book with permission. I thought that claim was nonsense because, first of all, it helped me throughout the school year. Second of all, I'm using it for productive purposes and to make it easier for myself. Third of all, I'm going to return it tomorrow. It's not stealing if you return it back. Like, this one time. I was on a cruise and then we went to this store. I grabbed this pair of goggles and held on to it for too long. If I hold something for too long, I will eventually forget that it's in my hand. So, that happened to me. I walked out of the store and I realized that the goggles were in my hand, and quickly returned them to its rightful place. I don't steal at all on purpose. I hate stealing. Resorting to stealing is cheap. In my view, stealing is for people who can't legitimately own things for themselves. I want to own my own s**t legitimately and have it for myself to use, not steal someone's rightfully owned items. That's just being lazy to be independent in my eyes.

Anyway, do you guys think that I stole it and did I do wrong?

If you saw a book just lying there and didn't know whose book is was, then I'm afraid taking it was just stealing by my standards. I know you didn't mean to steal that book, only borrow it, but you should really have made your intentions clear to whoever is in charge. The book could have been meant for other purposes - it might have been for another class, for example. You may have been causing problems for others without knowing it. Besides, it's natural for a teacher to suspect you wanted to steal it. It's like tying your shoelaces in a melon patch or fixing your hat under a plum tree - it looks like stealing food from a distance.

Of course, some people have different opinions: 'Taking books can't be counted as stealing... Taking books, as a scholar... can't be counted as stealing.' -Kong Yiji (Sorry if that sounds like I'm making fun of you, but I'm not... I just thought it was a funny quote that fits here.)

PS Interesting that students at your school can borrow textbooks from school. We all buy our own books here.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...