Jump to topic:

Boys' hair rule in my school

taigarys
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2014 11:36:25 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Some of us really like our hair, and really like growing it to look a certain way. Our joy in life is lightly stripped from schools deciding that you should cut your hair. Something that can take a while for some of us to grow. Something we wear before and after school. Something we might not have again after our youthful days from things like early baldness.

My school and many other Caribbean schools have this way they want boys to look as they are very much stuck in their old ways. It is easy for them to say something like finding another school if you don't like our rules but come on, it's our hair. Will it affect our grades? From what I know girls usually outperform boys, they have lots of hair.
This is no walk-in-the-park but I have a desire to change this rule my school has.

But first some background information:
Education: Secondary Government School

Rule reviewing: "Hair should be simple in style, short and neat. No hair should cover any part of a boy's shirt collar, ears or more than half of his forehead. No mohawks or shaved designs are allowed."

What I am asking for is help in providing a suitable argument against certain aspects of this rule.

The aspects are that of it situating on the boys. Boys are asked to have their hair in a certain way while the girls aren't judged as heavily. I dislike this of the school wanting boys to look like what is traditionally preferred, "Boys should look like boys.". Of course this is so narrow because there should not be a way boys should look, in our open mindful times.

The reason for this rule most likely would be "preparing students for the working life ahead of them." "Having them ready for something as applying for a job that requires certain rules to obey."
That is understandable but I do not see why hair is a matter of this. In the job world, it is your decision to obey the rules to stay at that job, thus your choice in suitably preparing your hair. You have the freedom not to apply if you desire keeping your hair a certain way. And from what I say most companies allow boys to have lengthy hair, so long as they keep it neat (bun, tailed, wrapped etc.).

I agree the haircuts should be neat. The girls' haircuts are sometimes neat (it appears the school does not take their hairstyles seriously only unless they dye it). And these neat haircuts found in the girls are both short (boy cut) and long. It is possible to have neat long hair and in most companies neat is required, so I understand that. We can have neat long haired, medium haired boys. So this is something I'd like to use in my argument.

Mohawks and shaved designs can be neat but I'm not sure how to convince them in allowing this. They get pathetically offended by things of that nature v_v

So what I ask is your help in providing suitable argumentative points in convincing my school to look-over this rule. What I would appreciate is a very broad view on the hair topic.
Elements of history, where women use to have to look certain and act certain ways which are now no more. Social elements like transgenders, individuality, and equality. Why it is important to move forward in the modern times rather than remain grounded in traditions that damage the mind into a narrow way of thought. And all other things (science, politics, legislations, environmental, image of the school, grades).

I just really need to get it in the heads of the school's heads that we should try building a better world starting with ourselves and breaking these traditional rules that don't make sense.

And please remember this is similar to the UK education system if you are not familiar with the West Indian's. We wear uniforms and have a different format to grades and levels than the US.
I know the US does not have such strict rules on the image of a student since you are allowed to where casual and have your hair in a wider range of ways. Not all schools, I know but most I presume.

Hopefully you understand what I mean on this post and I will appreciate your cooperation. Any queries please ask and I look forward to your help :)
nikidavis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2014 4:25:23 PM
I don't really know any way to help support this idea. But I almost entirely agree with what you are saying.
One day I saw a man walking down the street, and he walked up to me and said, "Did you know that humans are the only species who tear down trees to make paper, and then write 'save the trees!' on them." I was amazed, then everyone else looked at him and glared with annoyance. I was the only one that actually cared, about the trees, about the man, about the world.
Sashil
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2014 9:50:32 AM
Well, you cannot go to school looking like a thug can you? Certain discipline just have to emphasized whether you like it or not.
Scientists have created a mutant version of the deadly 1918 Spanish flu virus in an effort to better understand how pandemics start.
I'm not a scientist, but this is how pandemics start. ~ meh

I wanted to be a Ninja, so I googled "Ninja school" I followed the link to their website, and it said "Page cannot be found"
WOW, these mo#^&%$rs are good. ~ UnKnown
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2014 10:42:40 AM
The vast majority of employers don't sport Mohawks. The school is simply being responsible for the welfare of the future prospects of its students. After you graduate, if you want to write something funny in your head, you won't blame the school for being unemployable. Liability is a strong motivator for many school policies. Look beyond your needs.
taigarys
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2014 9:41:06 PM
At 6/18/2014 9:50:32 AM, Sashil wrote:
Well, you cannot go to school looking like a thug can you? Certain discipline just have to emphasized whether you like it or not.

No you can not look like a thug which is why I'm for the neat ways of having your hair and that doesn't automatically call for short hair. Neat is more than that. You may be referring to the mohawks, I'm okay with this hairstyle however, it's a bit more edgy and if too "thug-ish" for school, it's okay to prohibit it. That was only 1/8 of my entire post.

Also, yes I agree with the "whether you like it or not" but at least have what you are being disciplined make sense (i.e. boys must have short hair).
taigarys
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2014 9:45:29 PM
At 6/19/2014 10:42:40 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
The vast majority of employers don't sport Mohawks. The school is simply being responsible for the welfare of the future prospects of its students. After you graduate, if you want to write something funny in your head, you won't blame the school for being unemployable. Liability is a strong motivator for many school policies. Look beyond your needs.

The mohawk piece was only 1/8 of my entire post. It is true it is more edgy than other hairstyles which is why it's fine if they disallow this one. But my point was more stressed on allowing your hair to grow whilst keeping it neat. It is not really just "your needs" it's open-mindedness. Why must all boys have short hair? That is what is depressing, it's like saying all women should shave.
HunterWoods
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2014 10:14:02 AM
Would it distract learning, no. But what it could do is open a new world of bulling to said person. The thing is once bulling starts it most likely wont stop, and some people can not handle that. Which could send them into depression, which can lead to other problems. So i most say i agree with your school.
Hunter Woods
CarterWale
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2014 1:48:02 PM
I agree with you on this, if girls can grow their hair out long, so should the guys. For social equality.
"A man who stands for nothing, will fall for anything." - Unknown
"Jesus is ideal and wonderful, but you Christians, you are not like him." - Gandhi
ThoughtsandThoughts
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2014 4:41:26 PM
At 6/28/2014 10:14:02 AM, HunterWoods wrote:
Would it distract learning, no. But what it could do is open a new world of bulling to said person. The thing is once bulling starts it most likely wont stop, and some people can not handle that. Which could send them into depression, which can lead to other problems. So i most say i agree with your school.

Why do we care about making people seem more acceptable to bullies? A lot of bullies don't even need a reason to bully. Here's the flaw in your logic: when people avoid bullying in such an indirect way, they discriminate against themselves. Example: "Oh, well, I can't afford a nicer dress. I shouldn't go to the formal." Heck with that, do what you can and be who you are. The first black students to attend desegregated schools were, without a doubt, bullied. Today, students who have racist remarks generally get a lot of flack. Don't just passively accept that bullying happens. Turn the tables.
bettabreeder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2014 11:27:20 AM
I agree I'm starting to confuse guys to the girls now!
Slavery exists. It is black in the South, and white in the North. - Andrew Johnson
DB9KIT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2014 4:47:42 PM
Let's have a discussion physiologically. All of you guys know there must be a high number of students who have low self-esteem and feel personally unsatisfied with their own physical attractiveness"or appearance. Yet disallowing them to grow their hair long can severely negative a student's confidence, thereby making them want to cut classes (I don't commit slippery slope here, as this really happens a lot in my country). As far as we are concerned, students, let's say teenagers, are in the period in which each one is drawn to other people of the opposite gender. Add to that confidence is certainly important to them so that taking it away is not a good idea. Losing confidence in childhood or adolescence can be a long-term problem. Therefore, prohibiting them would presumably result in some students even disengaging from their friends.
I know this might seem a bit exaggerated, but to let you know, this is true of my country (Thailand). In Thailand, students from elementary to secondary level are required to have their hair cut until they "almost" get bald. Each hair cannot be more than 1 cm long.