Jump to topic:

Truancy letters

Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2010 4:10:52 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
OK I have a big issue with truancy letters which is if you are passing the class with like a B or higher grade you should not be given a Truancy letter.

I have not gone to my English lit class for like 2 weeks straight i only go to turn in the projects and essays. I probably have below 50% attendance in that class but I still have an A in the class and not many people do get A's in his class probably like 5-6 people do each quarter. I just got my Truancy letter from school and it really pissed me off.

Truancy is to keep kids in school so they can get their education. I have an A in the class without even going to those stupid lectures. My grade proves I understand the material so why do I have to waste my time in that class if I'm still meeting the requirements to graduate? Me reading the book at home differs from reading at school?

This is a money thing isn't it? not a education benefits you thing.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2010 4:16:57 PM
At 2/15/2010 4:10:52 PM, Loserboi wrote:
OK I have a big issue with truancy letters which is if you are passing the class with like a B or higher grade you should not be given a Truancy letter.

I have not gone to my English lit class for like 2 weeks straight i only go to turn in the projects and essays. I probably have below 50% attendance in that class but I still have an A in the class and not many people do get A's in his class probably like 5-6 people do each quarter. I just got my Truancy letter from school and it really pissed me off.

Truancy is to keep kids in school so they can get their education. I have an A in the class without even going to those stupid lectures. My grade proves I understand the material so why do I have to waste my time in that class if I'm still meeting the requirements to graduate? Me reading the book at home differs from reading at school?

This is a money thing isn't it? not a education benefits you thing.

So you cut class half the time and are mad at the school for sending a Truancy letter?

Should people that are able to drink and drive be allowed to? No, because that is unjust. When you go to college, you'll be able to skip classes as much as you want. But not high school. They have to be fair and equal to everyone since, most kids don't understand earning rights (good grades = more rights) and will only complain.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2010 4:28:49 PM
So you cut class half the time and are mad at the school for sending a Truancy letter?

Should people that are able to drink and drive be allowed to? No, because that is unjust. When you go to college, you'll be able to skip classes as much as you want. But not high school. They have to be fair and equal to everyone since, most kids don't understand earning rights (good grades = more rights) and will only complain.

This is different my actions are not hurting anyone like your example. I cut because i see no point in going if i can just do the reading at home and just take the tests to get a good grade in the class. Schools are changing already they should change this rule. They recently just got rid of the "Cut-lists" for schools now if you have over a 2.0 in school you won't be put on it. They should do the same for truancy maybe raise the bar a little bit but there is not reason for me to be punished when even my teacher finds no problem with it.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2010 4:48:13 PM
Simple solution is for yourself and your teacher to then speak to the person who does issue the truancy letters. If she has no issue with it, it should be relatively easy to accomplish.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2010 4:49:31 PM
At 2/15/2010 4:28:49 PM, Loserboi wrote:

This is different my actions are not hurting anyone like your example. I cut because i see no point in going if i can just do the reading at home and just take the tests to get a good grade in the class. Schools are changing already they should change this rule. They recently just got rid of the "Cut-lists" for schools now if you have over a 2.0 in school you won't be put on it. They should do the same for truancy maybe raise the bar a little bit but there is not reason for me to be punished when even my teacher finds no problem with it.

The issue isn't whether or not it should be changed. As far as I know, a truancy letter is received for not attending compulsory education.

You didn't attend compulsory education, ergo, the Truancy letter.

But yes, the system should be changed.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
alto2osu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2010 4:30:18 PM
Yeah...this is a product of a compulsory education system. In college, once you are no longer under the wing of your parents and a minor, truancy letters go away. In the meantime, if you want the credit, show up to class.
Harlan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2010 8:38:21 PM
At 2/15/2010 4:48:13 PM, Puck wrote:
Simple solution is for yourself and your teacher to then speak to the person who does issue the truancy letters. If she has no issue with it, it should be relatively easy to accomplish.

Ha! You're joking right? Education is a complete bureaucracy. You can't just talk to people and make them understand that something's senseless.