Jump to topic:

Memorize

TheLastMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2014 5:25:24 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Post techniques to memorize factual and abstract informations. Do you have your own technique to memorize informations , paragraphs or definitions? Feel free to share.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2014 6:27:35 AM
At 6/16/2014 5:25:24 AM, TheLastMan wrote:
Post techniques to memorize factual and abstract informations. Do you have your own technique to memorize informations , paragraphs or definitions? Feel free to share.

All I know is the common visualization techniques meant to take advantage of a human's great spacial memory.

Imagine a different thing for each room of your house. Or if learning a language use buildings, for your city.

Other than the famous memory palace stuff, I don't know anything.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org...

I pretty much retain everything I read, so I don't use these techniques often.
TheLastMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2014 6:02:58 PM
At 6/16/2014 6:27:35 AM, Wylted wrote:

All I know is the common visualization techniques meant to take advantage of a human's great spacial memory.

Imagine a different thing for each room of your house. Or if learning a language use buildings, for your city.

I already use it. I have to memorize hundreds of chemical reactions and mathematical equations, etc. Anyway,Thanks.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2014 9:40:55 PM
At 6/17/2014 6:02:58 PM, TheLastMan wrote:
At 6/16/2014 6:27:35 AM, Wylted wrote:

I already use it. I have to memorize hundreds of chemical reactions and mathematical equations, etc. Anyway,Thanks.

I suspected you already knew of it.
ThoughtsandThoughts
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2014 7:26:39 PM

Recap yourself on what you've read, 30 seconds after you've read it. A few minutes after you've read it, recap again. This is called spaced repetition. It's helpful in encoding things to long term memory. If you're studying for a test, spread out your studying over the course of three days. Five-ten minutes studying every day for three nights is better than studying for an hour the night before. Spaced repetition. Quality is better than quantity.

Understand what you're studying. It sounds obvious, but you've probably assumed you understood something until you got to a test. So quiz yourself as you're going through material. Ask the teacher questions. Draw a picture to help you understand a complicated process. Don't ever skim through something and say, "Well, I kinda get it." Because by Murphy's Law, the part you didn't understand will be on the test XD Don't accept "I mostly understand it" either. Understand it fully and it will be reinforced in your memory.

Attend all classes (I assume this is for school?) You really screw yourself over if you miss class. Auditory information coupled with visual information is more likely to be remember than one form of information. If you don't have to take notes during lecture, take them anyway.

Be a better listener. Be mindful about processing information as you hear it. Mentally think to yourself, "Right, so that means time-outs are a positive punishment."

If there's a chance to quiz yourself during class, do it. When I took psychology last year, I literally thought of examples of positive and negative punishments and rewards while the teacher talked about what they were. This reinforces your understanding, which reinforces it in your memory.

Mnemonics. Once something looks like it's impossible to remember, that's when you use a mnemonic. Get creative. If it helps, make them funny or inappropriate :P I had to teacher my brother about math functions, and he couldn't remember whether the y's or the x's couldn't repeat. So I told him, "The x's can't repeat, but the wives (y's) can," because it seems as though polygamous marriages with multiple husbands don't exist. Haha, just a joke of course XD

Hope that helps! :P
ThoughtsandThoughts
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2014 7:31:44 PM
As for paragraphs and definitions in particular...

Paragraphs:
Word for word? Definitely give yourself three days to study. Five times each day. It'll go well.

Definitions:
I've always done the old flashcards with some mnemonics. The actual writing of flashcards helps reinforce the material too. Review them the night before and the day of - at the very least. In my opinion, definitions are very easy to study for.
TheLastMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2014 5:33:42 PM
At 6/28/2014 7:31:44 PM, ThoughtsandThoughts wrote:

Paragraphs:
Word for word? Definitely give yourself three days to study. Five times each day. It'll go well.

Definitions:
I've always done the old flashcards with some mnemonics. The actual writing of flashcards helps reinforce the material too. Review them the night before and the day of - at the very least. In my opinion, definitions are very easy to study for.

Thanks. It's very helpful.
ThoughtsandThoughts
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2014 5:48:22 PM
At 6/30/2014 5:33:42 PM, TheLastMan wrote:
At 6/28/2014 7:31:44 PM, ThoughtsandThoughts wrote:

Paragraphs:

Definitions:

Thanks. It's very helpful.

Glad to hear that! =) Good luck with your academic endeavors!