Total Posts:13|Showing Posts:1-13
Jump to topic:

Should we be grateful to our teachers

Sashil
Posts: 47
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2014 12:55:43 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
So I've been seeing lots of people returning to their respective schools after graduation to thank their old teachers and staff.And its a common argument that a student who has finished his school is supposed to be morally obliged to show gratitude towards their old school and school teachers for their service.
In my opinion since the duty of a teacher is to teach and that they only fulfilled the duty that they were paid for.

So are graduated students morally obliged to be grateful to their old school and teachers?
Scientists have created a mutant version of the deadly 1918 Spanish flu virus in an effort to better understand how pandemics start.
I'm not a scientist, but this is how pandemics start. ~ meh

I wanted to be a Ninja, so I googled "Ninja school" I followed the link to their website, and it said "Page cannot be found"
WOW, these mo#^&%$rs are good. ~ UnKnown
ThoughtsandThoughts
Posts: 178
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2014 6:44:14 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
In my opinion since the duty of a teacher is to teach and that they only fulfilled the duty that they were paid for.


Yes, teaching is a job. Teachers are hired to teach. They're also hired to motivate and inspire kids, support them emotionally, and protect them. A salesperson is supposed to be friendly, but a teacher is supposed to be responsible for students in a similar way to parents are responsible for their children.

Sure, some teachers don't own their responsibility. There are ineffective teachers. But that's every field of work. There are ineffective doctors, policemen, and CEO's. There are also really effective teachers, who do more than what they are paid for. Many teachers spend their own money on school supplies and materials for projects, buy things for underprivileged students (breakfast for hungry kids, shoes for those who really need a pair, etc.), volunteer their time for school events that kids enjoy, lead a club, help with homework after school, spend their free time putting together engaging and fun lessons, and so on. Some teachers also express an enthusiasm that makes classes enjoyable.

When teachers make a difference, we should be grateful toward them. Just as one would be grateful toward a cashier for providing excellent customer service. It's just that a teacher's service extends into 8-10 months (perhaps more, with summer planning and year round conferences & teacher workshops). So it might be good to make a distinction between the type of gratitude you express toward a teacher and, say, a cashier. e.g. Typically, you won't tell a cashier they've changed your life.

I wouldn't say that you're morally obliged to visit and thank all of your teachers. But the ones that truly had an impact on you? For sure. Let them know. "Mrs. ____, you inspired me to major in art!" or "Mr. _____, you really helped me get through those rough times."
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Posts: 2,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2014 12:08:31 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/27/2014 12:55:43 AM, Sashil wrote:
In my opinion since the duty of a teacher is to teach and that they only fulfilled the duty that they were paid for.

Under that logic, if a firefighter saves your life, you needn't be grateful - he's just fulfulling his duty. If a policeman finds your wallet and catches the thief, you needn't be grateful - he's just fulfilling his duty. Heck, you don't even need to be grateful to your parents for how they nurtured you...
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
Politicallion
Posts: 9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2014 4:50:15 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Yes....... They are the ones who have mounded us into what we are today. They have taught us everything and have provided us with worldly wisdom. If there were no teachers today, then the world would have absolutely no future.They have made great scientists, CEOs , Tycoons etc.
Meshak
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2014 10:36:55 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/4/2014 4:50:15 AM, Politicallion wrote:
Yes....... They are the ones who have mounded us into what we are today. They have taught us everything and have provided us with worldly wisdom. If there were no teachers today, then the world would have absolutely no future.They have made great scientists, CEOs , Tycoons etc.

This is BS.
How, then, do you explain the world BEFORE teachers?
Someone invented the wheel, someone realized the utility of fire, etc.

I will say this, though:
Teacher, true teachers, deserve respect from their student.
However, someone hired as a teacher is not necessarily a teacher, nor are their students necessarily students.

A man teaching a man to fish is a teacher, regardless if he is paid, licensed, or even recognized as such.
A student is one who wants to learn; not a child forced to be in a classroom being assigned busy work memorizing things for a test.

Wisdom comes from seeking it, and is best nurtured by encouraging thought. The teaching profession is not really doing that.
My work here is, finally, done.
HumbleThinker1
Posts: 144
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2014 4:25:35 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/27/2014 12:55:43 AM, Sashil wrote:
So I've been seeing lots of people returning to their respective schools after graduation to thank their old teachers and staff.And its a common argument that a student who has finished his school is supposed to be morally obliged to show gratitude towards their old school and school teachers for their service.
In my opinion since the duty of a teacher is to teach and that they only fulfilled the duty that they were paid for.

So are graduated students morally obliged to be grateful to their old school and teachers?

As a teacher, I would not want my students to be grateful to me or the school out of some forced feeling of "moral obligation." I'd want them to feel genuine gratitude and express it as they feel the need.
carm1003
Posts: 1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2014 6:31:14 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/4/2014 4:50:15 AM, Politicallion wrote:
Yes....... They are the ones who have mounded us into what we are today. They have taught us everything and have provided us with worldly wisdom. If there were no teachers today, then the world would have absolutely no future.They have made great scientists, CEOs , Tycoons etc.

I agree
corporealbeing
Posts: 2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2016 5:31:56 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
I believe you should respect the teachers who respected you as a student and helped you. Teachers, the good ones, are very important and when you show them respect they'll know to keep doing what they are doing.
ballpit
Posts: 157
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2016 6:06:56 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
If the teacher does his or her job then the students should be grateful.
This user is an Angel and will answer any DDO-related questions to the best of their ability. PM for help, or post in the Welcome Thread.
Before you do anything:
http://www.debate.org......
Welcome Thread:
http://www.debate.org......
New Members Read Me:
http://www.debate.org......
Argument Bingo
http://imgur.com......
I avoid fights with gay people because even when you win you lose. - Wylted
Rukado
Posts: 527
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2016 6:50:14 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
Nope, don't be grateful to teachers.

Do you have any clue how expensive education is and how little education (and, how much malicious indoctrination) we get for all those dollars? If you say, good teachers are stuck in a bad system, guess who is the #1 defender of that bad system? Teachers (through their unions).
missmozart
Posts: 306
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2016 7:33:48 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 6/27/2014 12:55:43 AM, Sashil wrote:
So I've been seeing lots of people returning to their respective schools after graduation to thank their old teachers and staff.And its a common argument that a student who has finished his school is supposed to be morally obliged to show gratitude towards their old school and school teachers for their service.
In my opinion since the duty of a teacher is to teach and that they only fulfilled the duty that they were paid for.

So are graduated students morally obliged to be grateful to their old school and teachers?

Even though teachers are paid to teach, it's the teachers themselves who decide whether to put actual effort into doing the job well. I'm sure we can all agree that there is a clear difference between a 'good' and 'bad' teacher, even if they have the same salary.

Personally, I believe that we should be grateful to every single teacher. It might've been because they really helped you understand the subject, improved your punctuality or you might have learnt not to ever talk in that irritating monotone voice that puts everyone to sleep :)

Whether from good or bad qualities, there is always something we can learn from our teachers. That and also out of courtesy, is why people thank their teachers.
"Bonjour" -Feu

Diqiu: "Asian men are generally perceived as more feminine..."
Me: "Are you feminine?"
Diqiu: "Hey, no!"

"Do really really really good pens turn you on?" -Hayd

"bsh1's profile pic is what the snapchat filter would look like on steroids"- VOT

"let's keep it simple and traditional :D" -Biodome
Arabellaalice
Posts: 3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2016 10:51:47 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
I'm sure she does care. the majority teacher wish what's the bulk outstanding for a educational and PE teacher are no exeption. go in countenance and tell her how you are feeling. If you're still scared of gap up to her, tell a close relative or an significant being else who is in fact close.
http://www.ordercollegepapers.com...