Jump to topic:

facebook in school

Kahvan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2010 9:49:38 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
What is the argument against letting students have access to facebook during school?

In my opinion allowing high school students to have access to facebook during school would be beneficial to all involved. The students, teachers, and administration.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2010 9:50:18 AM
At 2/19/2010 9:49:38 AM, Kahvan wrote:
What is the argument against letting students have access to facebook during school?

In my opinion allowing high school students to have access to facebook during school would be beneficial to all involved. The students, teachers, and administration.

lol, b/c they're supposed to be doing school stuff.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2010 10:14:29 AM
Yeah, pretty much what matt said. Facebook takes up quite a lot of time in all honesty, and these are the school's computers. Why should students be allowed to waste time with the school's property when they're not doing school related things?
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2010 10:19:12 AM
I used to be able to access facebook at school. There was one room in the school that had Firefox and facebook wasn't blocked on it.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2010 10:20:33 AM
At 2/19/2010 10:19:12 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I used to be able to access facebook at school. There was one room in the school that had Firefox and facebook wasn't blocked on it.

... So? Lol.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2010 10:23:26 AM

The argument is simple: School computers are intended for academic use. Facebook hardly has direct academic utility, so they realize that students being on Facebook means they're not using the computers which they provide in their space for their intended use.

Your opinion is useless without being backed up my facts. Students would use it to avoid doing work or during their free periods (during which time I'd bet the teachers would rather have them study) and I don't see how it affects the administration or what have you.
President of DDO
Kahvan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2010 10:29:09 AM
At 2/19/2010 10:23:26 AM, theLwerd wrote:

The argument is simple: School computers are intended for academic use. Facebook hardly has direct academic utility, so they realize that students being on Facebook means they're not using the computers which they provide in their space for their intended use.

Your opinion is useless without being backed up my facts. Students would use it to avoid doing work or during their free periods (during which time I'd bet the teachers would rather have them study) and I don't see how it affects the administration or what have you.

One very good benefit it could have is communication. Teachers and students could have a facebook group for their class in which assignments can be posted and many other things. it would also help hugely when something important happens and administrators need everyone to know. Stuff spreads like wildfire on facebook. Those are some benefits.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2010 10:30:26 AM
At 2/19/2010 10:29:09 AM, Kahvan wrote:

One very good benefit it could have is communication. Teachers and students could have a facebook group for their class in which assignments can be posted and many other things. it would also help hugely when something important happens and administrators need everyone to know

you can do that with other things like "Blackboard" which colleges use
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2010 10:31:48 AM
At 2/19/2010 10:30:26 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:

One very good benefit it could have is communication. Teachers and students could have a facebook group for their class in which assignments can be posted and many other things. it would also help hugely when something important happens and administrators need everyone to know

you can do that with other things like "Blackboard" which colleges use

... or ANY social website or e-mails in general.
President of DDO
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2010 10:32:00 AM

One very good benefit it could have is communication. Teachers and students could have a facebook group for their class in which assignments can be posted and many other things. it would also help hugely when something important happens and administrators need everyone to know. Stuff spreads like wildfire on facebook. Those are some benefits.

Which they can go onto after school. Assignments and emergencies tend to happen outside of school hours.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
alto2osu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2010 12:35:55 PM

Yeah...there's freeware for stuff like this, and it won't allow you to do the myriad distracting things you can do on FB, like play games and crap. In fact, I'm coordinating a movement in my district to host multiple courses online for homeschooling and distance ed. at the high school level. I teach a couple of units of Freshman English online, and we use a free piece of software called Moodle, similar to Blackboard. All the benefits of a virtual classroom without Farmville, quizzes, and open membership.
Sky_ace25
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2010 1:28:00 PM
While I do believe their are some benefits to facebook, the over-all negatives outweigh any positives gained. Kids will always go on and abuse the system and chat to friends while they are supposed to be working, it prompts too much of a temptation to cut work, and it is a gateway to arguments from students who would then demand sites like Myspace are allowed.
Seriously, Pluto is no longer a planet?
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2010 1:36:04 PM
At 2/19/2010 12:35:55 PM, alto2osu wrote:

Yeah...there's freeware for stuff like this, and it won't allow you to do the myriad distracting things you can do on FB, like play games and crap. In fact, I'm coordinating a movement in my district to host multiple courses online for homeschooling and distance ed. at the high school level. I teach a couple of units of Freshman English online, and we use a free piece of software called Moodle, similar to Blackboard. All the benefits of a virtual classroom without Farmville, quizzes, and open membership.

Education meets technology, courtesy of the DDO Reform Parties Secretary for Education.
alto2osu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2010 1:40:04 PM
At 2/19/2010 1:36:04 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Education meets technology, courtesy of the DDO Reform Parties Secretary for Education.

Yessir :) This is actually a really interesting program, too, since it includes distance ed. for high school, which is unusual. Furthermore, I am the school board's direct consultant on web course design. Even our district tech defers to my judgment. :D
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2010 1:42:00 PM
At 2/19/2010 1:40:04 PM, alto2osu wrote:
At 2/19/2010 1:36:04 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Yessir :) This is actually a really interesting program, too, since it includes distance ed. for high school, which is unusual. Furthermore, I am the school board's direct consultant on web course design. Even our district tech defers to my judgment. :D

And at only 25!
paramore102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2010 6:56:15 PM
We use to have this issue at our school our teachers then created a site for us using ning where we can ask teachers for help or even the students. I think this has had been great for both students and teachers. Its important to know other ways of communication.

http://zebranewtech.ning.com...

http://www.ning.com...
-Paramore102- "Don't take the wrong side of an argument just because your opponent has taken the right side." a quote by Baltasar Gracian
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2010 8:05:22 PM
At 2/19/2010 10:14:29 AM, Volkov wrote:
Why should students be allowed to waste time with the school's property when they're not doing school related things?

Because there is often nothing else to do. I'm idle most of my German class.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2010 8:22:31 PM
At 2/20/2010 8:05:22 PM, wjmelements wrote:
Why should students be allowed to waste time with the school's property when they're not doing school related things?

Maybe that means you should be studying more German.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2010 8:44:06 PM
At 2/20/2010 8:22:31 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

Maybe that means you should be studying more German.

I have a high A in German. I'd rather do something else.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2010 8:56:32 PM

You use lap-tops during class in your school?