Total Posts:45|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Who here thinks education is a load of bs?

Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2014 12:34:36 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
After spending so many years in the education system, i find it to be just a load of bull. They'll teach you stuff you won't use 90% of the time and it's all indoctrination. In a job, they don't care if you studied math, english, etc., they just want you to do the job. You know what the top jobs are? and it's not scientists and teachers, it's the jobs that deal with everyday life (food, cars, etc.). You may think teachers are smarter than you, nope. I went one on one with a 26-27 year old teacher being 18 years old and destroyed her in a debate. I think education should just be discarded cuz it's run by people who don't know what the freak they're doing.
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2014 1:05:26 PM
At 8/15/2014 12:34:36 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
After spending so many years in the education system, i find it to be just a load of bull. They'll teach you stuff you won't use 90% of the time and it's all indoctrination. In a job, they don't care if you studied math, english, etc., they just want you to do the job. You know what the top jobs are? and it's not scientists and teachers, it's the jobs that deal with everyday life (food, cars, etc.). You may think teachers are smarter than you, nope. I went one on one with a 26-27 year old teacher being 18 years old and destroyed her in a debate. I think education should just be discarded cuz it's run by people who don't know what the freak they're doing.

Have you ever listen to schoolsuckspodcast?. If not, I think the first 30-50 episodes would be useful to you.

The government "education" system is a scam. It's intended to serve the interests of the goverment (instructs students to be good 'citizens'), industry (complient, obedient, indebted workers), teachers (senicures), parents (child-care), pharmaceutical/psychiatry industry (ADD, ODD). It never serves the interests of the student. It brainwashes the student into thinking that they need school. It waste the student's time by giving them busy work when they could be finding ways to provide value to society.
In schools, a student's body is forced to be in certain places. This is kidnapping. The student's mind is forced to be focused on certain tasks. This mind control.

Increased time spent in school has been correlated with increases in anxiety and depression. Hardly a surprise, really.

And for all these 12 years of "education", what do school produce? People who are so low skilled that they are worth less than minimum wage in the job market.

So yeah, I agree that "education" is a load of BS.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2014 1:09:19 PM
At 8/15/2014 1:05:26 PM, vbaculum wrote:

Have you ever listen to schoolsuckspodcast?. If not, I think the first 30-50 episodes would be useful to you.

The government "education" system is a scam. It's intended to serve the interests of the goverment (instructs students to be good 'citizens'), industry (complient, obedient, indebted workers), teachers (senicures), parents (child-care), pharmaceutical/psychiatry industry (ADD, ODD). It never serves the interests of the student. It brainwashes the student into thinking that they need school. It waste the student's time by giving them busy work when they could be finding ways to provide value to society.
In schools, a student's body is forced to be in certain places. This is kidnapping. The student's mind is forced to be focused on certain tasks. This mind control.

Increased time spent in school has been correlated with increases in anxiety and depression. Hardly a surprise, really.

And for all these 12 years of "education", what do school produce? People who are so low skilled that they are worth less than minimum wage in the job market.

So yeah, I agree that "education" is a load of BS.

Yea, i gotta check it, but i fully agree with you. Most of the stuff they do in school is just for control. They place rules on stuff that's completely irrelevant (clothes, mp3's, etc.) rather than improve education. That's complete submission.
danielstarr123
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 9:49:15 AM
yes education is a burden when there is no compliments for it,i have being doing Mtech and still not understanding why i am doing this ....there is a lot of burden in education as people don't value it.
----------------------------------
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 10:21:44 AM
School is useless. I'm a high school dropout and work next to people with bachelor degrees. They wasted all that money on education for absolutely nothing. Everytime I think about going to school, I look around to the college degree holders around me and am reminded that pursuing a piece of paper is pointless.
nikidavis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 4:57:57 PM
I think you need to reword that, "Education" is wonderful and necessary. The U.S. Public school system is very, very wrong and off-balance.
One day I saw a man walking down the street, and he walked up to me and said, "Did you know that humans are the only species who tear down trees to make paper, and then write 'save the trees!' on them." I was amazed, then everyone else looked at him and glared with annoyance. I was the only one that actually cared, about the trees, about the man, about the world.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2014 5:37:59 AM
There is a George Carlin skit where he argues that the goal of education is to produce uncritical thinking obedient workers.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2014 12:31:18 PM
At 8/19/2014 4:05:29 AM, Morality wrote:
I wouldn't trust a doctor who never went to medical school.

Most of what doctors do could be done by someone much less educated. For example: getting antibiotics for an ear infection shouldn't hinge on whether or not you have insurance or the money to afford a licenced GP. I'd rather go to an unlicenced doctor with no formal education for something like that if he or she has a good reputation - were such an act of freedom permited by the government.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

Morality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2014 9:40:09 PM
At 8/21/2014 12:31:18 PM, vbaculum wrote:
At 8/19/2014 4:05:29 AM, Morality wrote:
I wouldn't trust a doctor who never went to medical school.

Most of what doctors do could be done by someone much less educated.
Perhaps certain acts, but not everything they cover.
For example: getting antibiotics for an ear infection shouldn't hinge on whether or not you have insurance or the money to afford a licenced GP.
Has nothing to do with the doctor, has everything to do with the insurance.
I'd rather go to an unlicenced doctor with no formal education for something like that if he or she has a good reputation - were such an act of freedom permited by the government.
Get anti-biotics from an unlicensed doctor for whatever disease you feel requires is part of the reason bacteria is growing resistance to said anti-biotics. That needs to be strictly controlled.
miraculous
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2014 3:10:59 PM
How you worded it is a bit misleading. It shouldn't be that 'education' is a load of bull, but 'SCHOOL'. It's how the government and school districts set up this education system that doesn't make sense. If you really question the education system, I think you'll enjoy this video.
https://www.youtube.com...
If I went back in time and murdered my grandmother, therefor preventing my existence, then who killed my grandmother?
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2014 5:04:14 PM

Maybe the problem here is you don't know how education works, or at least how it pretends to work. Schoold doesn't teach you integrals so you can use them in your life, it tries to develop your mathematical competence aka deductive mathematical thinking, that you actualy use everyday without noticing. It is not trying to teach you English and vocabulary, but to develop your linguistic and social competence, for example so that you are able to debate properly with people. It doesn't want you to memorize the parts of the cell so you can know the parts, but to let you know nature since you are constantly afected by it, and so you can develop a healthy attitude towards yourself and be environmentally responsible. It doesn't want you to do a text about Descartes so you can memorize his biography, but so you can understand the cartesian method that you use in your daily life, so you can learn to teamwork, so you can learn how to use the internet to find reliable information, etc.

In summary, the school is not trying to make you memorize things, but to make you develop skills that you use in your everyday life, from the way you socialize and express, to your hygiene habits. The problem is that many students are unable to internalize the content that allows the development of these skills, sometimes because teachers are too incompetent to help them.
holyzinc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2014 1:11:54 PM
Yes indeed. We do learn something at school but the inefficiency of the education system is ridiculous. I think the biggest problem among many others in this system is that it doesn't address or even recognize the diversity of human intelligence, talents and personalities. ONE SIZE DOESN'T FIT ALL!!!

There is a ted talk on "How schools kill creativity?" by Sir Ken Robinson which fits perfectly with the issue that we are discussing about.
https://www.youtube.com...
Roc134
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2014 11:27:33 AM
I am still in high school and I here this same argument all the time.

"When are we ever going to use any of this?" And so on.

The way I see it, what you learn isn't necessarily about the actual application. Rather, it's about broadening your way of thinking and learning to think about the world in a different way. You may never use any of the higher level math you learn, but the problem solving skills you gain while doing the math can be very beneficial. That's why the educational system isn't a bunch of bs--it's about broadening your worldview. That's why we as a society make education compulsory.
- Roc
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2014 6:45:14 PM
At 9/16/2014 11:27:33 AM, Roc134 wrote:

The way I see it, what you learn isn't necessarily about the actual application. Rather, it's about broadening your way of thinking and learning to think about the world in a different way. You may never use any of the higher level math you learn, but the problem solving skills you gain while doing the math can be very beneficial.

I've worked in technology for over a decade and I've never heard of anyone needing to know math accept actual mathematitions.

Problem solving skills could be confered by teaching philosophy, political science, economics, etc. Those disciplines would certanily be employable by any adult - even if only in terms of being able to think more clearly. That's indisputable; however, as far as I know, no one has ever empirically demonstrated that problem solving skills are non-trivially enhanced by teaching people math. Teaching masses of people advanced math benefits no one other than math teachers.

That's why the educational system isn't a bunch of bs--it's about broadening your worldview. That's why we as a society make education compulsory.

holyzinc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2014 5:12:04 AM

The way I see it, what you learn isn't necessarily about the actual application. Rather, it's about broadening your way of thinking and learning to think about the world in a different way. You may never use any of the higher level math you learn, but the problem solving skills you gain while doing the math can be very beneficial.

Can you be more precise(give examples) on how you apply the skills you gained from school to real life situations indirectly? And why schools don't just teach these skills directly? Keep in mind essential skills like creativity and critical thinking can be taught like reading and writing.
ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2014 1:12:22 AM
At 9/18/2014 5:12:04 AM, holyzinc wrote:

Can you be more precise(give examples) on how you apply the skills you gained from school to real life situations indirectly? And why schools don't just teach these skills directly? Keep in mind essential skills like creativity and critical thinking can be taught like reading and writing.

Above, Otokage summarized an answer to your question pretty well
holyzinc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2014 10:45:28 AM
At 9/20/2014 1:12:22 AM, ben2974 wrote:
At 9/18/2014 5:12:04 AM, holyzinc wrote:

Above, Otokage summarized an answer to your question pretty well

Ic. I agree with that but different people benefit differently and may not be to the same degree. After all, we need to admit the education system is not very effective and I think passion-learning is the direction we should be heading towards. But it's hard to achieve as we need to move on from the current status quo.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2014 11:00:28 AM
It's interesting that if education is designed to help big business and capitalists, that the education system teaches things like the importance of labor unions, global warming, and business regulations. You'd think those things would get shut down.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Material_Girl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2014 11:25:12 AM
Education isn't inherently bullsh!t. What is bullsh!t is our system, one based on command, obedience and indoctrination. This authoritarian conditioning has nothing to do with what education is supposed to be. However, we're going to keep it until the end of social hierarchy, because it serves the ruling class very well.
http://commissaress.wordpress.com...

Political Compass
Economic Left: -10.00
Social Libertarian: -7.13

Yes, I am an evil godless commie.
holyzinc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2014 12:42:59 PM
At 9/21/2014 11:25:12 AM, Material_Girl wrote:
Education isn't inherently bullsh!t. What is bullsh!t is our system, one based on command, obedience and indoctrination. This authoritarian conditioning has nothing to do with what education is supposed to be. However, we're going to keep it until the end of social hierarchy, because it serves the ruling class very well.

I agree with what u have said. I think most teachers are unconsciously doing the command, obedience and indoctrination stuffs while believing that's the way it is good for the society and students would otherwise go on rampaging. I would like to know how do the ruling class benefit from such an ineffective outdated system and how do the current social hierarchy inhibit this sort of changes.
Toadstring
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 1:43:52 PM
While the way that people are taught today (and perhaps always have been) is in many ways wrong, education in itself is still important.

It is a way of becoming a better person than you already are, because with a better understanding of the workings of things(humans, nature, processes, phenomena, etc.), we can better predict what consequences our actions may bring.

A crude example: Adding salt to your food, in the hopes that it will taste better.
If you have no knowledge of the fact that too much salt can ruin the food, you risk doing so. Additionally, eating too much salt is unhealthy, and if you eat too much in one go, you risk getting very sick.

If you lack that knowledge, your actions may bring unforeseen consequences, and you risk hurting yourself or others. If you possess that knowledge, you know that you should be wary, and you may avert what could otherwise have been a catastrophe.
Please
jkerr3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2014 2:45:24 PM

Umm i hope your joking here with your recommendations of not teaching kids math, kids need to be taught more math and science not less lmao, unless you want a future generation of idiots. I use math all the time, I use grammar all of the time, I'm not a scientist but having a solid understanding of biology and astronomy is always a good thing. I would disagree with 90% of stuff taught in school being useless, what exactly do you think kids should be taught in school?
ExploreTheMind
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2014 5:43:54 PM
I agree. The stuff you remember after finishing is the simpler things that you could learn in 5 minutes, unless you are actually dedicated and want to learn what you are being taught in school, you will come out being less edified than when you first entered. The heart of the problem is that school does not ensure you actually learn. YOU do that. They can give you tests, homework, classwork, but it doesn't matter, in the end it's your brain not theirs. The school system would have to be edited, probably to a high degree, to ensure students learn. They've tried and failed. But, in my opinion, in the end education does not matter, you matter as an individual. If everyone was diligent, hardworking, intelligent, and self-motivated, school would not be necessary. Unfortunately, majority rules, and the majority is certainly not the former. Therefore, the rest of us suffer in silence.
ExploreTheMind
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2014 5:49:30 PM
That's just the way it is in the current school system, the good students don't learn even if they want too. It's just not possible in the given environment.
BenevolentPeace
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2014 2:28:30 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/15/2014 1:05:26 PM, vbaculum wrote:

Dude, I couldn't agree more. The way they tried to argue the importance of the Manifest Destiny in history was disgusting. Nothing, and no piece of paper can justify how fucked up we treated Native Americans.
YuzumieR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2014 7:43:12 AM
It's a good idea to get an insurance nowadays. Starting in 2014, every person with insurance coverage through an employer will have to give $63 each year to cover the price of getting insurance for people with preexisting problems. It's a part of the Affordable Care Act, one of the many expenses that law will impose. Article resource:

https://personalmoneynetwork.com...
holyzinc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2014 8:44:28 AM
At 12/8/2014 5:43:54 PM, ExploreTheMind wrote:
But, in my opinion, in the end education does not matter, you matter as an individual. If everyone was diligent, hardworking, intelligent, and self-motivated, school would not be necessary. Unfortunately, majority rules, and the majority is certainly not the former. Therefore, the rest of us suffer in silence.

Schools, or education is essential as when we are left to our own devices, our initial learning would be too inefficient to support today's level of society despite the authenticity. It is just that the education system is designed based on many wrong assumptions on how we learn and intelligence as well as what humanity really needs.
Fola_brezzy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 9:07:10 PM
Basic education is understandably needed. Most of what we learn in higher levels are just useless. There is no point reading to pass and forgetting it when exams are over. Too much pressure is placed on students and they end up learning nothing. Just cramming to forget. It's so sad how no one cares about how smart someone really is. They just care about the grades the person makes which is not the true test for intelligence. I enjoy reading but when I know I'm getting graded I just read to pass. There is excess content and little time to try to understand it. After all no one cares as long as you get a good grade. Yes! In some cases education is a load of bs.