Jump to topic:

Tips to get good grades.

SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2014 9:30:09 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
As I enter sophomore year, what is the difficulty level of sophomore year? What are good habits to get into to get good grades? I want to start the year off good, so I ask the DDO user body for any tips.
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2014 9:30:59 PM
No.1 Bump
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2014 9:31:14 PM
No.2 Bump
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2014 9:31:33 PM
No.3 Bump
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2014 9:31:57 PM
No.4 Bump
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2014 9:32:19 PM
No.5 Bump
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2014 9:55:23 PM
At 8/15/2014 9:30:09 PM, SamStevens wrote:
As I enter sophomore year, what is the difficulty level of sophomore year? What are good habits to get into to get good grades? I want to start the year off good, so I ask the DDO user body for any tips.

I'm entering my sophomore year as well. Here's what I do.
1. Procrastinate like hell
2. Pick a random game and beat it
3. Pass out in a pile of take out
4. Remember I have a paper, math work, and a science speech due tommorow
5. Don't sleep (work done)
6. Roll into school like a boss
7. Pass out during lunch like a boss

Worked every time for me. In the end, I was the second person on the Honor Roll... behind my arch enemy. Warning in advance: I am considered a genius... just a very lazy one.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2014 10:04:09 PM
At 8/15/2014 9:55:23 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:

Worked every time for me. In the end, I was the second person on the Honor Roll... behind my arch enemy. Warning in advance: I am considered a genius... just a very lazy one.

I don't know about procrastinating. That seems problematic.
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2014 10:05:15 PM
At 8/15/2014 10:04:09 PM, SamStevens wrote:

Oh it is. I'm still only 5/6 done with summer work. But maps are soo boring to draw!
TUF, and YYW
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2014 10:09:15 PM
At 8/15/2014 10:05:15 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:

Oh it is. I'm still only 5/6 done with summer work. But maps are soo boring to draw!

You got summer homework? Are you in honors classes?
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2014 10:12:37 PM
At 8/15/2014 10:09:15 PM, SamStevens wrote:

AP Humanities, IB Math, and AP Latin.
TUF, and YYW
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2014 10:14:40 PM
At 8/15/2014 10:12:37 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:
At 8/15/2014 10:09:15 PM, SamStevens wrote:

AP Humanities, IB Math, and AP Latin.

Wow. I am in all academic.
debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2014 10:52:40 PM

Hmm, I'm about to to go into sophmore year as well. From what I've gathered, the difficulty completely depends on the difficulty of the classes you take. The reason so many people say freshman year is easier than sophmore year is because there aren't usually as many higher level classes available for freshmen. Here are the tips I would offer:
1. Don't procrastinate: I would say not procrastinating is the most important; if you continuously procrastinate, you are guaranteed some awful situations.
2. Prioritize: There will be times when it is pretty impractical to try finish *every* single piece of work for each class. You should do the most important things first and the least important things last. Once you get into the swing of things, you can figure out how each of your classes work. For example, if one teacher gives you a ridiculous amount of homework which only counts for 10% of the grade, you should only do some of it, rather than doing it all because putting all your effort into that one class will compromise your performance. Let me put it this way... 3 well done assignments is better than 5 sloppily done assignments, if that makes sense.
3. Testing: Generally, tests are what counts for most of your grade. So, focus way more on tests than you would on a simple worksheet. You can go about doing well on tests one of two ways.
(a) you can simply do all your homework- sometimes this is enough; though, if a teacher gives an unreasonable amount of homework (as i said above) that may be counter productive
(b) study briefly for three days before the test- the reason you want to do this is because cramming the day before the test is less effective. its also a lot easier to study for one hour each day for three days, as opposed to three hours past your bedtime last minute

Anyways, these are probably my best tips. I hope that kind of helped. I'm probably not the ideal person to answer this question since I *literally* don't do anything in any of my classes with the exception of debate.
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2014 11:06:06 PM
At 8/15/2014 10:52:40 PM, debatability wrote:

Hmm, I'm about to to go into sophmore year as well. From what I've gathered, the difficulty completely depends on the difficulty of the classes you take. The reason so many people say freshman year is easier than sophmore year is because there aren't usually as many higher level classes available for freshmen. Here are the tips I would offer:
1. Don't procrastinate: I would say not procrastinating is the most important; if you continuously procrastinate, you are guaranteed some awful situations.
2. Prioritize: There will be times when it is pretty impractical to try finish *every* single piece of work for each class. You should do the most important things first and the least important things last. Once you get into the swing of things, you can figure out how each of your classes work. For example, if one teacher gives you a ridiculous amount of homework which only counts for 10% of the grade, you should only do some of it, rather than doing it all because putting all your effort into that one class will compromise your performance. Let me put it this way... 3 well done assignments is better than 5 sloppily done assignments, if that makes sense.
3. Testing: Generally, tests are what counts for most of your grade. So, focus way more on tests than you would on a simple worksheet. You can go about doing well on tests one of two ways.
(a) you can simply do all your homework- sometimes this is enough; though, if a teacher gives an unreasonable amount of homework (as i said above) that may be counter productive
(b) study briefly for three days before the test- the reason you want to do this is because cramming the day before the test is less effective. its also a lot easier to study for one hour each day for three days, as opposed to three hours past your bedtime last minute

Thanks for the advice/tips.

Anyways, these are probably my best tips. I hope that kind of helped. I'm probably not the ideal person to answer this question since I *literally* don't do anything in any of my classes with the exception of debate.

If you do literally nothing, how is that good academically?
debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2014 11:09:53 PM
At 8/15/2014 11:06:06 PM, SamStevens wrote:
At 8/15/2014 10:52:40 PM, debatability wrote:

If you do literally nothing, how is that good academically?

I never said I cared about my grades. Obviously, its not good academically.
I am knowledgeable about how to go about succeeding when it comes to grades though; i used to try really hard in school.
miraculous
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2014 10:44:19 AM
I have all AP classes in high school and at first it's really challenging. Not because the actual information is hard to comprehend, but the WORKLOAD is terrible. Often, 5 out of 7 of my periods would introduce new integrated projects or would give us a mountain of textbook questions and reviews to answer. Honestly, it's immensely tiring. So here are a couple methods I use.
1. Never procrastinate, or if you DO procrastinate, know when to stop and start your assignments.
2. Study. If you're a student who has trouble remembering and organizing data that you just received, make time to go over certain papers you have difficulty with.
3. Ask a shitload of questions. You have the opportunity to bug the teachers as much as you want, so abuse the priviledge.
4. Refrain from cramming too much. In high school, it's often necessary to cram before the big test and there are exceptions, but never study to the point where you feel completely depleted of energy.
5. Use your agenda. I can never stress this one the most. I mean they give you the notebook for a reason. Write down all your assignments,papers,projects, so that you don't forget. You may think that you have the capacity to remember it all, but sometimes things slip out of hand so don't risk it.
6. Take notes in class. If your teachers are like mine, majority of the class period consists of lectures and slideshows. Even if your teacher isn't in a lecture, always have a few notebook papers out ready to write anything of significance.

Good luck, best wishes.
If I went back in time and murdered my grandmother, therefor preventing my existence, then who killed my grandmother?
ThoughtsandThoughts
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2014 6:20:54 PM

My number one rule:

1. Attendance & attention - Aim for perfect attendance (no playing rookie) and train yourself to pay attention as much as possible (obviously you can't pay attention 100% of the time).

One of the worst things you can do is passively listen to your teacher or passively complete assignments. You must actively listen. Repeat key points in your head and ask yourself if you understand what is being taught. If not, ask questions. Sounds simple, but paying attention is a skill. Most people are not good listeners.

If you work on paying attention, and couple this with good attendance, you'll notice a difference.

Other tips:

2. Time. Spend more time on subjects that are difficult for you (still prioritize). Pay more attention to difficult topics and assignments.

3. Effort. If you think there's a better way to word an essay conclusion, there probably is. So write it. If you're not sure if the answer is A or C, come back to it later and re-think it. Contemplate and weigh the likeliness of each choice. In other words, don't just be content with putting something down. Put thought into it (at the same time, don't get bogged down about it).

4. Manage your time well. Procrastinating here and there is fine, but do not cram unless absolutely necessary. I'm not gonna lie - you can still get really high grades while being a procrastinator at heart. However, you have to know when to stop procrastinating, and you should never sacrifice sleep. So none of this staying up until 1AM working on essays business. You need at least 7-9 hours of sleep.

If it comes down to staying about past 12-1AM and getting sleep because there's so much homework, pick sleep. You'll be much more productive the next day with it. Plus it will help you remember and retain information better. Besides, choosing sleep doesn't mean you forget about the assignment. You can find time (e.g. on the bus ride to school, during announcements, between classes or during lunch, etc.)

I hope that helps! =) I thought tenth grade was fairly easy - aside from having more homework. If anything seems stressful, give yourself a small break. Relax. Maybe even talk to your teachers - they may be understanding and the rest of the class might agree with you!
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2014 6:27:39 PM
At 8/16/2014 6:20:54 PM, ThoughtsandThoughts wrote:

My number one rule:

1. Attendance & attention - Aim for perfect attendance (no playing rookie) and train yourself to pay attention as much as possible (obviously you can't pay attention 100% of the time).

One of the worst things you can do is passively listen to your teacher or passively complete assignments. You must actively listen. Repeat key points in your head and ask yourself if you understand what is being taught. If not, ask questions. Sounds simple, but paying attention is a skill. Most people are not good listeners.

If you work on paying attention, and couple this with good attendance, you'll notice a difference.

Other tips:

2. Time. Spend more time on subjects that are difficult for you (still prioritize). Pay more attention to difficult topics and assignments.

3. Effort. If you think there's a better way to word an essay conclusion, there probably is. So write it. If you're not sure if the answer is A or C, come back to it later and re-think it. Contemplate and weigh the likeliness of each choice. In other words, don't just be content with putting something down. Put thought into it (at the same time, don't get bogged down about it).

4. Manage your time well. Procrastinating here and there is fine, but do not cram unless absolutely necessary. I'm not gonna lie - you can still get really high grades while being a procrastinator at heart. However, you have to know when to stop procrastinating, and you should never sacrifice sleep. So none of this staying up until 1AM working on essays business. You need at least 7-9 hours of sleep.

If it comes down to staying about past 12-1AM and getting sleep because there's so much homework, pick sleep. You'll be much more productive the next day with it. Plus it will help you remember and retain information better. Besides, choosing sleep doesn't mean you forget about the assignment. You can find time (e.g. on the bus ride to school, during announcements, between classes or during lunch, etc.)

I hope that helps! =) I thought tenth grade was fairly easy - aside from having more homework. If anything seems stressful, give yourself a small break. Relax. Maybe even talk to your teachers - they may be understanding and the rest of the class might agree with you!

ThoughtsandThoughts
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2014 6:35:41 PM
At 8/16/2014 6:27:39 PM, SamStevens wrote:
At 8/16/2014 6:20:54 PM, ThoughtsandThoughts wrote:

My number one rule:

Other tips:

No problem! ^_^ Good luck!
GooeyPig
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 8:07:45 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
So I go to a Canadian high school (no AP classes other than English at my particular school, unfortunately), and I have absolutely terrible habits. I had to start doing shtuffs about them last semester though, because I was fast-tracking math.

Basically, like everyone else has said, do the bloody work when it's assigned. Don't leave it to the last minute. It truly is a terrible experience, believe me.

As well, try to grasp it as well as possible in class. This greatly shortens studying time, as you can either go through the good sections quickly or skip them altogether. ALSO related to in-class shizzle wizzle (sort of?), DO THE HOMEWORK. And by homework I mean math. The rest of it you can often brush off and last-minute it if you've got a destructive schedule, but even if you excel in math, do the work. There are often weird, obscure, questions that'll screw you over later on, so spend the extra 10-20 minutes to figure them out now.

In relation to study habits, I find that for science, it's exponentially easier to just figure out the concept than memorize. I know that's well know, but just in case you haven't heard or didn't think it was true, it is. I never remember how to solve chemistry problems, for example, but I DO remember all the possible formulas, so i can just figure it out. This saves you "les temps" while you're studying.

So yeah, that's my advice. Just so you know I'm in grade 11 (we just use numbers here, so I guess it's Junior year for you guys). I've been lazy up until recently, but don't take part in the laziness. You'll regret it.
"Religion has convinced people that there"s an invisible man"living in the sky, who watches everything you do every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten specific things he doesn"t want you to do. And if you do any of these things, he will send you to a special place, of burning and fire and smoke and torture and anguish for you to live forever, and suffer and burn and scream until the end of time. But he loves you. He loves you and he needs money."
-George Carlin