Jump to topic:

When languages hit the 21st century

I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2010 2:46:17 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
This topic has always interested me. As technology advances, it becomes more and more English dominated. What I find interesting is that while English seemingly integrates words like 'Origami', 'Deja Vu', etc., words like I-Pod stick out like sore thumbs in languages like French.

It seems as we progress into a new millennium, foreign languages eventually have to adopt more and more foreign English words until it loses its identity.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2010 4:01:55 PM
I've thought about this, too.

Here in the Los Angeles area, if you turn on Cantonese radio, the news is full of English. I don't if English will be the language, but I'm sure with more and more globalization, one language will eventually take over ZEE VORLD!!!!!
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Republican95
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2010 4:40:52 PM
Apparently by the beginning of the 22nd century, the number of languages will have shurken to about 100. Compare that with today's 7,000.

As long as they don't mess with Cajun French I'm fine. I'm 1/8 Cajun.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2010 11:06:52 PM
At 3/17/2010 2:46:17 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
This topic has always interested me. As technology advances, it becomes more and more English dominated. What I find interesting is that while English seemingly integrates words like 'Origami', 'Deja Vu', etc., words like I-Pod stick out like sore thumbs in languages like French.

It seems as we progress into a new millennium, foreign languages eventually have to adopt more and more foreign English words until it loses its identity.

its not really a matter of english taking over the world though. english will adopt words and eventually lose its identity too. i think its quite possible that at sometime in the far future there will be one world language, with maybe surviving pockets of "cultural heritage" on the side...
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...