TheINFJNala
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2014 2:59:46 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I was a A student in high school

I have autism

For this my parents have been overbearing. By this, they yelled at me even though I was only a little girl and couldn't help it.

Once I got to high school, I become an A student. But my parents would always overreact whenever I didn't get perfect A's.

Example:

A-

A

C in a subject I'm terrible at anyway

A-

Their reaction: This is SO sad. You don't care anymore.

In other words, they are emotionally abusive parents against an autistic teenager.

In reality, whenever I underachieve, it's not out of laziness, but out of depression. Not suicidal depression, but depression.

And I think that maybe they will force me to drop out if I can't get perfect grades.

Maybe I'll have to if they keep being emotionally abusive. Maybe I'll have to if I can't overcome my depression.

They never hit me, but their words hurt me just as much.

So if I ever dropped out of high school for these reasons, would you look past this and still consider hiring me?
TheINFJNala
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2014 3:01:31 PM
Sorry. I AM an A student in high school.

This is a "what if" scenario.

I have not dropped out of high school.
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2014 7:03:20 PM
At 9/25/2014 2:59:46 PM, TheINFJNala wrote:

I have autism

For this my parents have been overbearing. By this, they yelled at me even though I was only a little girl and couldn't help it.

Once I got to high school, I become an A student. But my parents would always overreact whenever I didn't get perfect A's.

Example:

A-

A

A-

In other words, they are emotionally abusive parents against an autistic teenager.

In reality, whenever I underachieve, it's not out of laziness, but out of depression. Not suicidal depression, but depression.

And I think that maybe they will force me to drop out if I can't get perfect grades.

Maybe I'll have to if they keep being emotionally abusive. Maybe I'll have to if I can't overcome my depression.

So if I ever dropped out of high school for these reasons, would you look past this and still consider hiring me?

Ultimately, no one but you has the final say in deciding what you want to be and what you want to do in life, not even your parents. If you are a bright student, eventually you will get what you want, in fact, being a child with autism and have parents too demanding, and still maintain such good marks, says a lot about your ability to succeed and lets see you will have a successful future. About hiring you, I'm not sure why should I hire you? That is, what job would you do? That's the kind of question that an employer will make, and it is why you need to graduate. So, as a teacher, I say cheer up! Don't drop! You can do it :)
TheINFJNala
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2014 10:22:57 PM
At 9/27/2014 7:03:20 PM, Otokage wrote:

I have autism

Example:

A-

A

A-

Ultimately, no one but you has the final say in deciding what you want to be and what you want to do in life, not even your parents. If you are a bright student, eventually you will get what you want, in fact, being a child with autism and have parents too demanding, and still maintain such good marks, says a lot about your ability to succeed and lets see you will have a successful future. About hiring you, I'm not sure why should I hire you? That is, what job would you do? That's the kind of question that an employer will make, and it is why you need to graduate. So, as a teacher, I say cheer up! Don't drop! You can do it :)

Thank you! I love your mix of optimism and reality.
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2014 10:50:08 PM
You're reminding me of little me. Little Yama was a ostracised, because his mind worked differently. I used to get bad marks in school too, being on a different mental level certainly didn't help. My mum... well she is a drinker. I'll let you take that as you will. This is what I did and it's worked pretty well. I take everything people say negative about me and turn it into determination. All the rage I used to have was turned passive and I began getting higher marks and being perceived better by my peers. The thing they once talked down upon was able to become their superior in every way. Now, I sit on the edge of an entire world ripe for me to control.

In the end, just stand tall with yourself and march through the negativity.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2014 11:06:50 PM

I have autism

Example:

A-

A

A-

I would not if that is what you intend to say to a prospective employer. They won't care about any of this.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
TheINFJNala
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 9:15:16 AM
At 9/28/2014 8:22:57 AM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:
Nope. No employer wants to hear about emotional baggage.

Why do you have to sound so heartless?
TheINFJNala
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 9:16:13 AM
At 9/27/2014 11:06:50 PM, sadolite wrote:

I have autism

Example:

A-

A

A-

I would not if that is what you intend to say to a prospective employer. They won't care about any of this.

Are employers THAT inconsiderate?
TheINFJNala
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 9:17:24 AM
Well, this is why I plan to try to start my own business instead of working for someone else.

That way, I won't have to deal with this prejudice and inconsideration.
TheINFJNala
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 9:18:52 AM
At 9/27/2014 10:50:08 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:
You're reminding me of little me. Little Yama was a ostracised, because his mind worked differently. I used to get bad marks in school too, being on a different mental level certainly didn't help. My mum... well she is a drinker. I'll let you take that as you will. This is what I did and it's worked pretty well. I take everything people say negative about me and turn it into determination. All the rage I used to have was turned passive and I began getting higher marks and being perceived better by my peers. The thing they once talked down upon was able to become their superior in every way. Now, I sit on the edge of an entire world ripe for me to control.

In the end, just stand tall with yourself and march through the negativity.

Thank you! I love this advice! I'll remember this story.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 9:48:44 AM
At 9/28/2014 9:16:13 AM, TheINFJNala wrote:

I have autism

Example:

A-

A

A-

So you actually think that is what an employer wants to hear, all your emotional baggage? All employers want to hear is your qualifications and can you do the job. Your personal life is irrelevant short of a criminal record.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
TheGreatAndPowerful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 10:32:43 AM
At 9/28/2014 9:15:16 AM, TheINFJNala wrote:

Becaus that's what you asked for. Employers want employees who will add value. No sob stories.
TheGreatAndPowerful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 1:43:25 PM
Employment rates for high school drop outs in urban areas is usually less than 50%.

You asked if I would hire you, but you haven't told me what field or what your qualifications are. If you're willing to work several jobs doing menial work for low pay with bad hours and next to no benefits, then yeah, you can probably get a job. The world still needs ditch diggers.

I'm sorry you have a bad situation at home but I'm not going to address it because an employer won't.
TheINFJNala
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 2:12:46 PM
At 9/28/2014 10:32:43 AM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:

Becaus that's what you asked for. Employers want employees who will add value. No sob stories.

Not even if I'm autistic?
TheGreatAndPowerful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 2:15:16 PM
At 9/28/2014 2:12:46 PM, TheINFJNala wrote:
At 9/28/2014 10:32:43 AM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:

Not even if I'm autistic?

I don't see what that has to do with anything.
TheGreatAndPowerful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 2:15:49 PM
At 9/28/2014 2:13:19 PM, TheINFJNala wrote:
Fine by me. I REFUSE to work for anyone so bigoted.

I don't think you're using that word correctly.
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 2:23:04 PM
At 9/28/2014 2:15:49 PM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:
At 9/28/2014 2:13:19 PM, TheINFJNala wrote:
Fine by me. I REFUSE to work for anyone so bigoted.

I don't think you're using that word correctly.

Broja, you're not getting anywhere. I know from experience. Sometimes, I get stuck on stuff like this too... and I can be stuck on it for hours.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 2:25:35 PM

I have autism

Example:

A-

A

A-

So be quite frank, your physical disability is going to have more impact on your employability than your grades, it is clear it is going to limit the available roles you can fill in the workplace.

That being said, you do have options, your your grades and qualifications are substantially above average, as such you should be able to find employment. If you find it too problematic doing 7 A levels then it would be much more sensible to trim that number down.

Your parents clearly have very high expectations of you (that may be both a good and bad thing), there is a saying "If you Shoot for then moon, even if you fail to make the moon, you will land somewhere in the stars". With the grades you are running with you are definitely going to have good options available.

So no, don't drop out, a year you will find out isn't a very long time.

Your mental attitude is going to give you problems retaining employment however, because if you annoy me and other people over the internet, then you are guaranteed to annoy your colleagues. That's something you need to manage.
TheINFJNala
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 9:00:45 PM
At 9/28/2014 9:48:44 AM, sadolite wrote:

I have autism

Example:

A-

A

A-

So you actually think that is what an employer wants to hear, all your emotional baggage? All employers want to hear is your qualifications and can you do the job. Your personal life is irrelevant short of a criminal record.

Apparently, either you have no idea what it means to be an autistic person, or you just do not care.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2014 3:40:03 AM
At 9/28/2014 9:00:45 PM, TheINFJNala wrote:

I have autism

Example:

A-

A

A-

Apparently, either you have no idea what it means to be an autistic person, or you just do not care.

I'm on the autistic spectrum, pervasive development disorder.

The employability of autistic people isn't all that good, to be honest. People on the autistic spectrum have worse jobs/salary compared to people of similar education/GPA. Social skills matter in the workplace. And yes, the reality is that employers care about what you can do and don't care about your emotional baggage. And frankly, this is most of the world. There's a reason why psychologists are paid like 60-100 an hour to listen to people's problems.

And are your parents really going to let you drop out of high school? That's lulz. Unless you're 18, you're under their command. And even if you are 18, are you really going to drop out after not finishing the last year of high school? That's very short-sighted.

Btw, nice reference to the MBTI.I'm INTP. The majority of DDOers are INTJs.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
TheINFJNala
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2014 9:45:02 AM
At 9/29/2014 3:40:03 AM, darkkermit wrote:

I have autism

Example:

A-

A

A-

I'm on the autistic spectrum, pervasive development disorder.

The employability of autistic people isn't all that good, to be honest. People on the autistic spectrum have worse jobs/salary compared to people of similar education/GPA. Social skills matter in the workplace. And yes, the reality is that employers care about what you can do and don't care about your emotional baggage. And frankly, this is most of the world. There's a reason why psychologists are paid like 60-100 an hour to listen to people's problems.

And are your parents really going to let you drop out of high school? That's lulz. Unless you're 18, you're under their command. And even if you are 18, are you really going to drop out after not finishing the last year of high school? That's very short-sighted.

Btw, nice reference to the MBTI.I'm INTP. The majority of DDOers are INTJs.

I DO NOT WANT TO DROP OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL. But since I'm afraid they may force me, I'll have no choice.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2014 1:52:58 PM

I have autism

Example:

A-

A

A-

The OP says Would I hire her. It doesn't say would you feel sorry for me and hire me. How I feel is irrelevant. And what I know about autism is also irrelevant. How she feels is irrelevant. She asked a point blank question and she got a point blank realty based answer. No one will hire her if she walks in and starts spilling her emotional baggage all over the table for all to see. The world is a tough place and doesn't make accommodations. If you think an employer is going to like this story, by all means tell it. But don't be surprised if they say we will get back to and never call back.

darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2014 10:09:51 AM
At 9/29/2014 9:45:02 AM, TheINFJNala wrote:

I DO NOT WANT TO DROP OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL. But since I'm afraid they may force me, I'll have no choice.

If they care about your grades so much, why would they force you to drop out? Doesn't make much sense. Plus I'm pretty sure that's illegal anyways.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2014 10:02:28 AM
Something to consider, even if you are self employed, people you sell your goods or services to are not going to do business with you if you make them feel uncomfortable.

You might try looking into a job near completely void of human interaction such as data entry.
apb4y
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2014 4:36:11 PM

Don't drop out of school. Don't flunk either. I did both, and it was one of the biggest mistakes I've ever made.

I know what it's like have abusive parents, and it's especially hard when you have Asperger's Syndrome or Autism. I could never understand my parents, and they didn't want to understand me. If your parents treat you like crap, then to hell with them. Life is too short to waste on arseholes.

Employers don't care about your personal baggage; they'd rather you left it at home. If you want to get a job, you need to bring some skills to the table.