Jump to topic:

books to read

Kahvan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 9:33:06 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
what are some good books for me to read that would increase my knowledge in areas such as dark matter, theology, atheism, and other worthy areas?
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 9:37:58 AM
Well, the obvious ones for atheism are God Is Not Great (Christopher Hitchens), The God Delusion (Richard Dawkins), and assorted works by Sam Harris and others.

However, if you're interested in an anthropological view of religion, written by a deist, who readily admits the flaws and inconsistencies of literal belief in a religion's texts and etc., then read The Evolution of God by Robert Wright.
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 9:38:24 AM
Man, Economy and State by Murray N. Rothbard
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 9:38:45 AM
Woops, ignore the above, I just read the title like an idiot.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 11:19:32 AM
the mencius
the daodejing
the zhuangzi
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 11:25:44 AM
At 4/13/2010 9:37:58 AM, Volkov wrote:
Well, the obvious ones for atheism are God Is Not Great (Christopher Hitchens), The God Delusion (Richard Dawkins), and assorted works by Sam Harris and others.

However, if you're interested in an anthropological view of religion, written by a deist, who readily admits the flaws and inconsistencies of literal belief in a religion's texts and etc., then read The Evolution of God by Robert Wright.

Rubbish. Those are NOT the best atheistic books. Not even close.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 11:30:11 AM
At 4/13/2010 9:33:06 AM, Kahvan wrote:
what are some good books for me to read that would increase my knowledge in areas such as dark matter, theology, atheism, and other worthy areas?

Some good books on the atheist - theist front are:

- Why I became an atheist (John Loftus)
- The Christian Delusion (Collaborative work)
- Reasonable faith (William Lane Craig)
- Scaling the Secular City (J.P. Moreland)
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 11:46:18 AM
Regarding theology, get Manly P Hall's "The Secret Teachings of All Ages."
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Kahvan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 12:11:55 PM
books about economics and politics and all sorts of stuff are also appreciated. I devour books but currently don't have much to read.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 12:55:24 PM
At 4/13/2010 11:25:44 AM, Kinesis wrote:

Didn't say they were the "best" - I said they were the most obvious. Don't put words into my mouth, please
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 1:01:52 PM
Breaking the Spell - by Daniel C Dennett (Atheism)

Changed my life.
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 1:44:58 PM
At 4/13/2010 12:55:24 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 4/13/2010 11:25:44 AM, Kinesis wrote:

Didn't say they were the "best" - I said they were the most obvious. Don't put words into my mouth, please

Well, I don't know why you even suggested them then.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 3:26:31 PM
At 4/13/2010 1:44:58 PM, Kinesis wrote:
Well, I don't know why you even suggested them then.

Because he didn't ask for the best - he asked for suggested reading. I suggested some.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 4:53:23 PM
lawrence krauss writes a good book about dark matter called quintessence. he explains the concepts in a fairly easy to understand way.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 7:42:32 PM
The Prince is a fantastic read. If you want a less propaganda on the atheist front I suggest, The Portable Atheist, which has a great collection of pieces. Plato's The Last Days of Socrates is also a very interesting read.
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 7:47:00 PM
I know this may sound childish, but Coraline the book rocks! It is like Steven King for kids. Much more scarier than the movie.
kfc
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 7:48:45 PM
At 4/13/2010 12:11:55 PM, Kahvan wrote:
books about economics and politics and all sorts of stuff are also appreciated. I devour books but currently don't have much to read.

You need the Politically Incorrect Guides.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/14/2010 6:12:12 PM
At 4/13/2010 7:47:00 PM, Koopin wrote:
I know this may sound childish, but Coraline the book rocks! It is like Steven King for kids. Much more scarier than the movie.

Great introduction to Neil Gaiman too.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2010 1:05:34 AM
For Fun:

I, Lucifer by Glen Duncan -- interesting perspectives on Christianity written in a way that made Salman Rushdie hard.

Demian by Hermann Hesse --politics of the self. An excellent read.

Political:

The Wretched of the Earth by Frantz Fannon -- Change the way you view global politics and the reality of the current human construct.

Party Government by E. E. Shattschneider -- whatever party you thought you were, you aren't.

The New Imperialists: Ideologies of Empire, edited by Colin Mooers -- global society is both primitive and regressive.

Scientific:

Desmond Morris' The Human Animal series -- it will help you understand those funny changes and pick up chicks!

A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking -- I know, I know. But, it's in my library, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

A Brief History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson -- this is an excellent scientific read.

For real, information-rich, truly informative and cutting-edge information on science, I suggest reading the journals. Likely, most will cost money.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2010 8:19:49 AM
somehow agains all the odds C.S. Lewis has not been mentioned hear yet. So I shall now.

Virtually every non-chronicle of narnia book that C.S. Lewis ever wrote is good to dig into tratitional theology
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2010 7:26:51 AM
Also 'A case for Christ' by Lee Stroble. http://books.google.com...
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2010 5:36:10 PM
At 4/13/2010 9:33:06 AM, Kahvan wrote:

Atheism: http://www.debate.org...

Theism: http://www.debate.org...

Other good stuff...

1. The Looming Tower (Lawrence Wright)

2. Manufacturing Consent: The Political Economy of the Mass Media (Edward S. Herman and Noam Chomsky)

3. Synaptic Self: How Our Brains Become Who We Are (Joseph LeDoux)

4. The Theory of Everything: The Origin and Fate of the Universe (Stephen Hawking)

5. The Greatest show on Earth (Richard Dawkins)

6. The Brothers Karamazov (Fyodor Dostoyevsky)

7. 1984 (George Orwell)

8. Battle Royal (Koushun Takami)

9. Rain Fall (Barry Eisler)

10. Why I Am Not A Christian (Bertrand Russell)

11. An inquiry concerning human understanding (David Hume)

12. Wittings on An Ethical life (Peter Singer)

13. How the Mind Works (Steven Pinker)

14. The Age of Reason- Thomas Paine (Deistic Perspective) Paine thought Christianity was a joke, but he still believed in god.
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2010 5:44:48 PM
At 4/13/2010 9:37:58 AM, Volkov wrote:

Robert Wright isn't a deist; he's a materialist like I am. I haven't started reading The Evolution of God, but I saw him debate Christopher Hitchens where he did, in fact, call himself a materialist.
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2010 5:46:13 PM
At 4/23/2010 5:44:48 PM, Freeman wrote:
Robert Wright isn't a deist; he's a materialist like I am. I haven't started reading The Evolution of God, but I saw him debate Christopher Hitchens where he did, in fact, call himself a materialist.

Oh, thanks for clearing that up. He never mentioned he was a materialist in his book, and his conclusion at the end seemed like a deist one, but materialist makes more sense.