Total Posts:43|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Guv'ment, and the Education Course

I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 1:19:11 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
[Note for Ragnar, Rezzealaux, Freedo, Reasoning, and other Libertarians upstarts: Tis is presuming the government already has a hand in education, so no "lulz private edumaction guv'ment intervention on economy are bad!"]

I'd like your thoughts on the education courses set-up . In Ireland, 3 core subjects, Maths, English and Irish, are mandatory just up until college. After that, you can choose any subject at whim, so long as the school provides it (Not necessarily, but in most instances).

Anyhow, the subject I have most umbridge with is the fact Irish must be learned, and after that the level of Maths that must be learned.

If the government has ah and in education, should any subjects be mandatory? And should there be a strict syllabus?

Over to you.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Tamikajones
Posts: 371
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 1:22:06 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Math = logic and thus is useful to learn

I think learning Irish is stupid as its not a main dialect and thus is not useful.

It's like learning cursive. 1 year of my life wasted.
: At 4/21/2010 5:49:24 PM, banker wrote:
: Mirza at least no one is misunderstanding santa...!!
:
:Hitler had sexual issues just like muhammud..!!
Tamikajones
Posts: 371
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 1:22:34 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I just think everyone should get together and declare a universal language.
: At 4/21/2010 5:49:24 PM, banker wrote:
: Mirza at least no one is misunderstanding santa...!!
:
:Hitler had sexual issues just like muhammud..!!
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 1:23:06 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/13/2010 1:22:34 PM, Tamikajones wrote:
I just think everyone should get together and declare a universal language.

Esperanto? That has already been tried.
Tamikajones
Posts: 371
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 1:23:59 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
English, Math, Economics + Personal Investing, Biology
: At 4/21/2010 5:49:24 PM, banker wrote:
: Mirza at least no one is misunderstanding santa...!!
:
:Hitler had sexual issues just like muhammud..!!
Tamikajones
Posts: 371
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 1:24:57 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Not making up a new language, just making everyone learn english. Most everyone can speak it fluently already.
: At 4/21/2010 5:49:24 PM, banker wrote:
: Mirza at least no one is misunderstanding santa...!!
:
:Hitler had sexual issues just like muhammud..!!
Tamikajones
Posts: 371
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 1:25:45 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
INB4 arrogant american. I'm willing to learn any other language if the catch is that my kids won't have to learn any stupid languages.
: At 4/21/2010 5:49:24 PM, banker wrote:
: Mirza at least no one is misunderstanding santa...!!
:
:Hitler had sexual issues just like muhammud..!!
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 1:27:19 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/13/2010 1:22:06 PM, Tamikajones wrote:
Math = logic and thus is useful to learn

I think learning Irish is stupid as its not a main dialect and thus is not useful.

It's like learning cursive. 1 year of my life wasted.

Irish is a minority language.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 1:28:31 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/13/2010 1:23:59 PM, Tamikajones wrote:
English, Math, Economics + Personal Investing, Biology

I think a standardises mah and English test should be mandatory if they aren't to be taken as mandatory subjects. (E.g. An English fluency test and a Maths logic test)
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Registered_Trademark
Posts: 67
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 1:34:29 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/13/2010 1:19:11 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
[Note for Ragnar, Rezzealaux, Freedo, Reasoning, and other Libertarians upstarts: Tis is presuming the government already has a hand in education, so no "lulz private edumaction guv'ment intervention on economy are bad!"]

I'd like your thoughts on the education courses set-up . In Ireland, 3 core subjects, Maths, English and Irish, are mandatory just up until college. After that, you can choose any subject at whim, so long as the school provides it (Not necessarily, but in most instances).

Anyhow, the subject I have most umbridge with is the fact Irish must be learned, and after that the level of Maths that must be learned.

If the government has ah and in education, should any subjects be mandatory? And should there be a strict syllabus?

Over to you.

Random question, do they mandate 1 history course?
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 1:36:33 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I think a literate society is pretty imperative, so I think learning to read should be mandatory. Basic math is useful, and so is basic spelling and grammar. I think introductory courses in economics should be taken, as well as courses about different political systems. Ethics. Nutrition/Health. Psychology? At least ONE feminism course. Aaand I guess the rest should probably be electives.
President of DDO
Tamikajones
Posts: 371
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 1:37:55 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/13/2010 1:28:31 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 4/13/2010 1:23:59 PM, Tamikajones wrote:
English, Math, Economics + Personal Investing, Biology

I think a standardises mah and English test should be mandatory if they aren't to be taken as mandatory subjects. (E.g. An English fluency test and a Maths logic test)

I disagree, especially in English.

There's a difference between being fluent and excelling. Learning how to write is a very important skill in 90% of jobs
: At 4/21/2010 5:49:24 PM, banker wrote:
: Mirza at least no one is misunderstanding santa...!!
:
:Hitler had sexual issues just like muhammud..!!
Tamikajones
Posts: 371
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 1:39:10 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/13/2010 1:36:33 PM, theLwerd wrote:
At least ONE feminism course. Aaand I guess the rest should probably be electives.

boo

that's sexism. If you have a feminism course you have to have a masulinism course where women are instructed on how to make sammiches.
: At 4/21/2010 5:49:24 PM, banker wrote:
: Mirza at least no one is misunderstanding santa...!!
:
:Hitler had sexual issues just like muhammud..!!
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 1:40:53 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/13/2010 1:28:31 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 4/13/2010 1:23:59 PM, Tamikajones wrote:
English, Math, Economics + Personal Investing, Biology

I think a standardises mah and English test should be mandatory if they aren't to be taken as mandatory subjects. (E.g. An English fluency test and a Maths logic test)

there's pass maths which is easy. and it should be compulsory because it teaches logic. all colleges in Ireland will probably be offering bonus points for maths from next year on so you're moving against the crowd.

i'm kinda for the teaching of irish too, but i'd say i'm a bit biased.

what i think is bullsh1t is that we need to have a foreign language for most colleges.
signature
Vi_Veri
Posts: 4,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 1:40:59 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/13/2010 1:39:10 PM, Tamikajones wrote:
At 4/13/2010 1:36:33 PM, theLwerd wrote:
At least ONE feminism course. Aaand I guess the rest should probably be electives.

boo

that's sexism. If you have a feminism course you have to have a masulinism course where women are instructed on how to make sammiches.

...................................
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
Tamikajones
Posts: 371
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 1:41:56 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/13/2010 1:40:53 PM, badger wrote:
what i think is bullsh1t is that we need to have a foreign language for most colleges.

YES
: At 4/21/2010 5:49:24 PM, banker wrote:
: Mirza at least no one is misunderstanding santa...!!
:
:Hitler had sexual issues just like muhammud..!!
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 1:42:51 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/13/2010 1:41:56 PM, Tamikajones wrote:
At 4/13/2010 1:40:53 PM, badger wrote:
what i think is bullsh1t is that we need to have a foreign language for most colleges.

YES

Yea it is silly, but fortunately that was never a barrier for me. Math is.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 1:43:21 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/13/2010 1:34:29 PM, Registered_Trademark wrote:

Random question, do they mandate 1 history course?

No, but some weak history is taught in primary school, but most secondary schools do History as mandatory for 3 years.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 1:44:52 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/13/2010 1:40:53 PM, badger wrote:
At 4/13/2010 1:28:31 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 4/13/2010 1:23:59 PM, Tamikajones wrote:
English, Math, Economics + Personal Investing, Biology

I think a standardises mah and English test should be mandatory if they aren't to be taken as mandatory subjects. (E.g. An English fluency test and a Maths logic test)

there's pass maths which is easy. and it should be compulsory because it teaches logic. all colleges in Ireland will probably be offering bonus points for maths from next year on so you're moving against the crowd.

Yeah, I heard of the extra points going for higher level Maths.


i'm kinda for the teaching of irish too, but i'd say i'm a bit biased.

what i think is bullsh1t is that we need to have a foreign language for most colleges.

Foreign language > Irish. Colleges need to at last recognise this fact.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 1:59:07 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/13/2010 1:44:52 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 4/13/2010 1:40:53 PM, badger wrote:
At 4/13/2010 1:28:31 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 4/13/2010 1:23:59 PM, Tamikajones wrote:
English, Math, Economics + Personal Investing, Biology

I think a standardises mah and English test should be mandatory if they aren't to be taken as mandatory subjects. (E.g. An English fluency test and a Maths logic test)

there's pass maths which is easy. and it should be compulsory because it teaches logic. all colleges in Ireland will probably be offering bonus points for maths from next year on so you're moving against the crowd.

Yeah, I heard of the extra points going for higher level Maths.


i'm kinda for the teaching of irish too, but i'd say i'm a bit biased.

what i think is bullsh1t is that we need to have a foreign language for most colleges.

Foreign language > Irish. Colleges need to at last recognise this fact.

they do open up more job opportunities, but i wouldn't say that. irish is our language and i reckon it is important because it teaches you enough so that you might actually be able to understand and appreciate some of the works that have come from your own people. it gives you pride in your country.
signature
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 2:01:52 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/13/2010 1:59:07 PM, badger wrote:

they do open up more job opportunities, but i wouldn't say that. irish is our language and i reckon it is important because it teaches you enough so that you might actually be able to understand and appreciate some of the works that have come from your own people. it gives you pride in your country.

And the government ought to instil a forced sense of patriotism among it's denizens? If the government is going to attempt to do that, they shouldn't pick on one aspect of the culture. Also, they shouldn't take up my valuable item doing so, much less forcing to sit an entire 2 paper exam on why I should be proud of my country.

Besides, it's having the opposite desired effect. There's been a drop in students taking it at higher level, and furthermore, there is a mentality of resentment towards the language due to it being mandatory.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 2:02:15 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/13/2010 2:01:52 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 4/13/2010 1:59:07 PM, badger wrote:


And the government ought to instil a forced sense of patriotism among it's denizens? If the government is going to attempt to do that, they shouldn't pick on one aspect of the culture. Also, they shouldn't take up my valuable time doing so, much less forcing to sit an entire 2 paper exam on why I should be proud of my country.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 2:04:52 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/13/2010 1:39:10 PM, Tamikajones wrote:
At 4/13/2010 1:36:33 PM, theLwerd wrote:
At least ONE feminism course. Aaand I guess the rest should probably be electives.

boo

that's sexism. If you have a feminism course you have to have a masulinism course where women are instructed on how to make sammiches.

Anyone who takes a feminism course knows that 50% of the course is about masculinity...
President of DDO
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 2:05:44 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/13/2010 2:04:52 PM, theLwerd wrote:
At 4/13/2010 1:39:10 PM, Tamikajones wrote:
At 4/13/2010 1:36:33 PM, theLwerd wrote:
At least ONE feminism course. Aaand I guess the rest should probably be electives.

boo

that's sexism. If you have a feminism course you have to have a masulinism course where women are instructed on how to make sammiches.

Anyone who takes a feminism course knows that 50% of the course is about masculinity...

Is feminism your personal bias creeping in?
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Registered_Trademark
Posts: 67
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 2:08:30 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/13/2010 1:43:21 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 4/13/2010 1:34:29 PM, Registered_Trademark wrote:

Random question, do they mandate 1 history course?

No, but some weak history is taught in primary school, but most secondary schools do History as mandatory for 3 years.

That sounds awesome! History was my favorite class in high school and it bugs me how ignorant people towards their own history.
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 3:18:50 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/13/2010 2:01:52 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 4/13/2010 1:59:07 PM, badger wrote:

they do open up more job opportunities, but i wouldn't say that. irish is our language and i reckon it is important because it teaches you enough so that you might actually be able to understand and appreciate some of the works that have come from your own people. it gives you pride in your country.

And the government ought to instil a forced sense of patriotism among it's denizens? If the government is going to attempt to do that, they shouldn't pick on one aspect of the culture. Also, they shouldn't take up my valuable item doing so, much less forcing to sit an entire 2 paper exam on why I should be proud of my country.

they don't pick on one aspect of our culture. irish history is taught in every primary school and almost every primary school has someone come in teaching irish dancing. on top of that the government fund the GAA and there's a pitch in every town in the country.

it sounds fairly fvcked up in fairness, but that's the way we want it. and we might aswell expose the nation to some of our literature while we're at it. enda kenny brought getting rid of it up before and it he got no support.


Besides, it's having the opposite desired effect. There's been a drop in students taking it at higher level, and furthermore, there is a mentality of resentment towards the language due to it being mandatory.

i don't think it is. i'd say the reason there has been a drop in it being taken at higher level is because more opportunities have opened up for us and there is a huge workload in honours irish which takes from the amount of time we can put into the subjects we feel matter the most to us. i'm sitting my leaving cert this year and nobody complains about irish. everyone complains about foreign languages though. pass irish is easy because we've been taught it since primary school and you don't need to do any study to pass it in the leaving cert so why get rid of it? and it still exposes you to irish literature which as i said gives you pride in your country.
signature
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 3:20:46 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/13/2010 2:08:30 PM, Registered_Trademark wrote:
At 4/13/2010 1:43:21 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 4/13/2010 1:34:29 PM, Registered_Trademark wrote:

Random question, do they mandate 1 history course?

No, but some weak history is taught in primary school, but most secondary schools do History as mandatory for 3 years.

That sounds awesome! History was my favorite class in high school and it bugs me how ignorant people towards their own history.

History is awesome. Enough said. :) It's one of the few areas that I have decent knowledge in too.
wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 3:26:14 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/13/2010 1:22:06 PM, Tamikajones wrote:
It's like learning cursive. 1 year of my life wasted.

Junior high and high school english. 6 years of my life.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2010 3:26:41 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/13/2010 1:19:11 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
[Note for Ragnar, Rezzealaux, Freedo, Reasoning, and other Libertarians upstarts: Tis is presuming the government already has a hand in education, so no "lulz private edumaction guv'ment intervention on economy are bad!"]

I'd like your thoughts on the education courses set-up . In Ireland, 3 core subjects, Maths, English and Irish, are mandatory just up until college. After that, you can choose any subject at whim, so long as the school provides it (Not necessarily, but in most instances).

Anyhow, the subject I have most umbridge with is the fact Irish must be learned, and after that the level of Maths that must be learned.

If the government has ah and in education, should any subjects be mandatory? And should there be a strict syllabus?

Over to you.

If you'd remember my thread on "Destruction of the educational regime" you'd know I don't hold the classical Libertarian stance on education. I'm a Libertarian Socialist. I do not think there should be any mandatory schooling but I do think that a certain kind of schooling which focuses on free-thought rather than indoctrination should be publicly provided for. And indoctrinating educational systems, even private ones, should be against the law.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord